Lake Ray Roberts Scuba Death?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep channel 5 reported it as a scuba diving accident. Said the buddies were separated and one diver surfaced, could not find his buddy. Took several hours to find him.

More tragic news.

Thoughts for the divers family and friends.

Here's what I found on this link:

6 drown at North Texas lakes over weekend; 7th clings to life | Denton Record-Chronicle | News for Denton County, Texas | Latest News

In Lake Ray Roberts, searchers found the body of a 31-year-old man who had gone scuba diving for the day with his twin brother, said Capt. Neal Bieler of Texas Parks and Wildlife. According to initial reports, Kenneth Harper of Pilot Point ran out of air in his scuba tank. The other brother attempted to reach him but could not.

A truly sad day with this death and all the other drownings in Texas this weekend.

Sounds like there might have been one at Lake Travis this weekend, as well. :(

KXAN.com - News, Weather, Sports - Austin, TX | Holiday fun turns deadly on Lake Travis

Yes, we had an accidental death here at Travis over the weekend too. Not a diving death,though, and any weekend we don't have a death in devils cove, especially a holiday weekend, I am surprised and thankful. Usually such a large concentration of alcohol, speedboats, and showoff idiots there on weekends that it is amazing there are not more deaths.

Debra,
You are overanalyzing this. Take a step back. You have to remember that in certain ignorant sections of the population, people think 1) scuba divers actually do have gills and don't really need air under water. They are still trying to figure out what the function of that "tank" really is; and 2) These same people think that scuba diving is an extreme sport and that people like you and I obviously have a death wish.

I actually had someone say to me..."I wish I could scuba dive, but I can't hold my breath that long."

I had to remind her that we don't hold our breath and that is what the scuba tank is for!!

Swimmer Dies in Lake Travis Trying to Untangle Anchor Line
Last Edited: Sunday, 06 Jul 2008, 2:05 PM CDT
Created: Sunday, 06 Jul 2008, 2:04 PM CDT
Boat Drowning

AUSTIN -- Travis County Sheriffs Deputies responded to a call at 9:30 p.m. Saturday from a group of people on a boat who said their friend dove into the water trying to untangle an anchor line and did not resurface. A recovery operation the next morning at Devil's Hollow Cove turned up the body of a man in his early 40s. The police have not yet released the man's name pending notification of next of kin, but say the cause of death appears to be accidental drowning.

r

MyFox Austin | Coast Guard Rescues 6 People in Texas Gulf

Coast Guard Rescues 6 People in Texas Gulf
Last Edited: Sunday, 06 Jul 2008, 4:19 PM CDT
Created: Sunday, 06 Jul 2008, 4:00 PM CDT
helicopter rescues sailors
SideBar

Related Items
Videos

HOUSTON -- The Coast Guard rescued six people Saturday after their 20-foot sailboat capsized 10 miles south of Matagorda Island.

The guard received a call from Rotor Craft Leasing about 5:15 p.m. that one of the company's helicopter crews had discovered the boat in the Gulf of Mexico, according to a news release.

Coast Guard Air Station Houston and Air Station Corpus Christi launched helicopter rescue crews.

Meanwhile, the civilian helicopter crew continued searching for six people in the water. The civilian crew reported to the Coast Guard that four people had swam to a Brazos offshore rig, and two others had been swept away by the current.

At 5:40 p.m., the two remaining people, both wearing lifejackets, were found in the water.

Coast Guard helicopter rescue crews from Houston and Corpus Christi safely hoisted all six people. They were flown to Palachos Airport off Matagorda Bay to awaiting paramedics.

Two are in fair condition and the remaining four are in good condition, the Houston Chronicle reported on its Web site Saturday night.
Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

r

Yea. This really was a bad weekend on the lakes. There were also several shootings in the area. The world has gone mad! I think I will move to Idaho.

I used to live in Idaho. The diving there is cold cold cold. I can find you a dive shop there if you want one. People die there too, you just don't hear about it in Texas.

Back
Top Bottom