Lake Ray Roberts Scuba Death?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Debraw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So I just saw the 9pm Fox 4 news resported that there was a death at Lake Ray Roberts today. The reporter said the victim was reported to be a good swimmer and was also a scuba diver and "he went under". Does that mean the guy was scuba diving and died or was he just swimming and went under and he was also a scuba diver. Has anyone heard of a scuba accident at Lake Ray Roberts today? I don't see a report in writing on it yet.

Wow! I know you said this; but . . . . . . You must be watching Fox 4 news. I just saw the same report.

As I interpreted the report, this was a swimming/drowning victim. The victim happens to be a scuba diver but was not scubaing (is that a word?) at the time of the accident; only swimming.

Hope this helps.

It just seemed odd to me that they reported it as a drowing and said he was reportedly to be a good swimmer and was also a scuba diver. As if it was some reason that they are surprised he drowned while swimming because he was a scuba diver. I just thought it seemed a little odd for the reporter to say that.

Might just be that the reporter made the assumption that all divers have superior swimming skills.

Condolences to the family.

but was not scubaing (is that a word?)

Yes, scubaing is a word. I used it in a class today.

I agree. The intent was probably to show that the individual should have been competent in the water. So, a lack of ability would not have contributed to the drowning.

TwoBit

Debra,
You are overanalyzing this. Take a step back. You have to remember that in certain ignorant sections of the population, people think 1) scuba divers actually do have gills and don't really need air under water. They are still trying to figure out what the function of that "tank" really is; and 2) These same people think that scuba diving is an extreme sport and that people like you and I obviously have a death wish.

Terrible weekend of drowning deaths at the local lakes. We were out at Joe Pool on our boat and we had a police scanner, we heard the rescue and recovery of the 13 year old that drowned.

Yea. This really was a bad weekend on the lakes. There were also several shootings in the area. The world has gone mad! I think I will move to Idaho.

Alright,
I just heard a report that says that this was a scuba diving accident. I don't know what to believe anymore.

Back
Top Bottom