Lake Rawlings Customer Service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was planning a trip to Rawlings next weekend but after reading this, I don't think so.

BTW, it looks like the whole world can see the issues at Rawlings:

rawlingsrude.png

Everyone loves Kevin.

I was at Rawlings this past weekend and I didn't have any problems. I actually found Kevin to be really helpful. I had some problems with weighting on Saturday and on Sunday, Kevin spent like 10 minutes helping me to fix my weight belt and giving me advice since I'm new at diving. The place where I received rude service was at the Nottoway Inn where the lady lectured me for like 20 minutes over a crappy driver's license picture and other things!

Ice9, don't be too hasty to scrub your trip. Rawlings is about the DIVING. If you get there early and avoid the crowd, and have your own gear, you spend maybe 5 minutes in the office to pay, then you are done. Why can hours of diving for a 5 minute transaction? I have never had trouble with Kevin, and go there fairly often. He knows a ton about diving. Even if he was Satan incarnate, I still care more about the time underwater than whether or not I get a reach-around when paying the fee. Just trying to keep things in perspective.
Rob

Ice9, don't be too hasty to scrub your trip. Rawlings is about the DIVING. If you get there early and avoid the crowd, and have your own gear, you spend maybe 5 minutes in the office to pay, then you are done. Why can hours of diving for a 5 minute transaction? I have never had trouble with Kevin, and go there fairly often. He knows a ton about diving. Even if he was Satan incarnate, I still care more about the time underwater than whether or not I get a reach-around when paying the fee. Just trying to keep things in perspective.
Rob

I agree its a nice place, but I've also witnessed the Kevin problem first hand with some students. Some things aren't worth it if I can just keep driving south and get to the ocean...

At least he seems to be an equal opportunity offender. The barking was pretty much the same whether it was at a customer, or the other staff...

I am very particular about where I spend my hard-earned dollars. You have to treat your customers well. If one person complains it may be a fluke, if many people are complaining you have a problem.

Lynnhaven has always treated us well on their charters and, well, heck it's the ocean! There are so many more things to see. When you factor in the cost of fuel, lunch, admission, time and air fills you've pretty much paid for a charter ticket. Of course, if one would rather dive in a quarry than the ocean, for each their own.

Patrick,
I agree completely that the ocean beats a quarry every time. I am 100 percent behind supporting the local dive boats, if we don't then they won't be around much longer. Maybe I am cursed, but have only been able to make two trips on the Miss Lindsey this year. I have had to shift to rawlings three times due to weather, usually wind driven seas. That's the major selling point of rawlings, they don't close if it is windy. But I agree, the ocean wins every time.

You mention you dive solo @ Rawlings. I've often wondered about that. I know in the paperwork you sign it says you will dive with a buddy. But from time to time I've seen people solo, both open circuit and closed circuit. Is it a don't ask don't tell policy, or ignore the rules, or what?

They will let you solo if you hand them a card from a recognized agency for solo diving. I have a solo card from SDI, and they accepted it. Not a bad idea to tell the person at the dock that you checked in your card at the desk, but otherwise hassle free.

They will let you solo if you hand them a card from a recognized agency for solo diving. I have a solo card from SDI, and they accepted it. Not a bad idea to tell the person at the dock that you checked in your card at the desk, but otherwise hassle free.

Gotcha. That is the policy at Millbrook. A regular buddy has his SSI solo card.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom