Lake Rawlings Customer Service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I sent an email to the CEO of Rawlings to point out the negative customer service comments. I didn't point out anything specific.

The reply was odd.

"Thank you, Ethan. Some people do not like our policeman on duty. He is not rude, he is about business. He protects us, and he does a great job of it. Since we are not perfect, (who is), I guess we will have to endure the negative comments being made by persons such as yourself. And since you did not add anything of substance, I take your remarks as a warning. We do not take remarks of this nature personally, it goes with the turf. Thanks for your comments. We will strive to do a better job in the future, and perhaps then, we may meet your expectations. Take care."

Fair enough.

*shrug*

This if BS and I take the tone of the response as a "if you don't like it tough sh_t". Also if Kevin is a policeman (I'd like to know what department) and he treats the public like he treats the divers at Rawlings it's no wonder cops have a bad rep over here. I have fired more then a few officers for conduct less offensive then what Kevin desplays to the public.

Telemonster, please pm me the email address you sent your email to as I would like to send one of my own.

34 years in Law Enforcement and still proudly serving the public.

This if BS and I take the tone of the response as a "if you don't like it tough sh_t". Also if Kevin is a policeman (I'd like to know what department) and he treats the public like he treats the divers at Rawlings it's no wonder cops have a bad rep over here. I have fired more then a few officers for conduct less offensive then what Kevin desplays to the public.

Telemonster, please pm me the email address you sent your email to as I would like to send one of my own.

34 years in Law Enforcement and still proudly serving the public.

No, he means that he polices the facility there, not that he is law enforcement. People breaking their rules and guidelines. I'm *sure* they see negative attitude from customers, and have to deal with cheats as well. I've worked in customer service, and I remember the days of people calling in with simple computer problems, only to dump on you that they make 3 or 4 times what I made (they would say this), and are head administrators of their networks, and this and that. And of course they couldn't fix their own issues, which for the technically literate wouldn't have been a big issue. So in the end, they did damage to themselves and I ended up feeling good because I knew that I was better than them and had much to look forward to.

The email address is just his first name @ lakerawlings.com ... It's on Lake Rawlings - A Scuba and Camping Park, I think it's spelled errol.

I'm not encouraging people to flame them or anything. I like the hole in the ground but was actually shocked about receiving such negativity. I wasn't the first to speak out on the subject on here, but had felt that way in small pieces in the past and could relate. Then it happened to friends and myself out of the blue.

A friend said it is often the same in the motorcycle world. You're either on a first name basis with the owners or you're a second class citizen? That shops are often like little cliques. Not sure if this is the case.

Last edited:
Hi All,
A lot of shops train at Rawlings and it is not a bad place overall, I have taken many students there and have never had a bad experience with Erol, Casey, or Kevin or any of the other folks that have worked there. What I have seen are folks blocking the road at 10 til 8 in the morning, crowding the front door and not having paperwork ready. Most shops have thier manifest ready and punch cards attached, so in and out for them is painless. They have to go down and set up for students. Yes students have to go in and wait like everyone else to fill out liability waivers if they have not done so, rent gear if needed, etc. BTW forms are available online on the Rawlings web site.

As for rudeness, no Kevin just gets tired of the Bull$h1t people try to pull on him. "I left my cert card at home", "sonso can vouch for me", "I filled out paper work last month", sneaking in (No#1 cause), Fills, etc.. He does not make the prices nor the rules, the Lake Rawling board of members does. He just enforces them.

I have seen instructors walk in and try to fill their own tanks and wonder why they are told "If you do that again you will be barred from here"....get a clue! It's the insurance regs, and frankly I'd get pi$$ed if someone walked into my house and started monkeying with my stuff!

As I read through this post, I saw one note about a SSI nitrox sticker, yes you get one when you take the course, but a cert card is mandatory with most fill stations I know of, and if you are getting your tanks filled without one, I'd bet it's because they know you and/or you took you class there.

Rawlings has experienced some bad times this year, remember a diver drowned there this summer, so yes they are going to be on their P's and Q's. If you step out of line, yup, you guessed it....you will be told about it.

As for dive fest, Erol and the Rawlings board donate all of the proceeds that day to DAN... the same organization that covers YOU FREE OF CHARGE with 20K coverage while you are an open water student. The board also gives away alot of pricey stuff too if you find the lucky golf ball.

In closing, If you play by the rules and ask questions and read the postings and rules; you will be treated with respect. I won't say that the stuff hasn't flown off the handle once or twice without provication, but it was because someone pi$$ed em off. And yes I have Pi$$ed them off to and was handed my head on a platter, and I deserved it.

I will say that it would be nice to have a ferry service for tanks once every hour or two.

Oh and Kevin, Thanks for building the platforms, wiring up the place, keeping the crappers clean and full of paper, keeping firewood around, cutting the grass, putting in and maintaining the dive attractions, painting, fixing stuff, assist in setting up events, picking up DUI staff from the airport,etc.... I know that it can suck to work 50-80 hrs a week on salary.

Yup, I like Rawlings and the staff and they treat me fine. And if I do have a problem, they have always attended to it and fixed.

I'm sure one busy weekend of working up there and you might see things from a different perspective....any volunteers!

The lake has it's place, but it is boring! An ocean dive with half the viz is ten times better. The Customer service there is terrible, it seems like they are trying to get every penny out of you, and I think in the end they are screwing themselves over. Charging for non-divers (i.e. family members coming along for the ride) is just a real low thing to do.

The amount of people running through the facility is no excuse for poor service like crap air fills. They can fill your tanks properly but for some reason they don't. For example I dove with a HP 119 there, and told them it was high pressure but they still filled it in about two minutes resulting in a crap fill and an extremely hot tank.(probably at around 2700 psi )

Going off on a tangent, a lot of places don't fill the HP tanks properly. The only place I've been that consistently fills them to about 3500 is Diver down in morehead city. Does anyone know why most places don't fill them properly?

I also dive an HP 119, and I get my fills at Divers Unlimited in Norfolk. It is at the corner of Little Creek road and Shore Drive. I originally started going there because it is close to work for me, but now it is my favorite shop. Capt Tom does a GREAT job on fills, one of the few who let the tank cool down, then top off as you are supposed to. Filling an HP tank properly takes time. I rarely leave there without 3400 psi in my tank, and if I do it is because I am in a rush and cut short the cool down time, not their fault.

Hi All,

As I read through this post, I saw one note about a SSI nitrox sticker, yes you get one when you take the course, but a cert card is mandatory with most fill stations I know of, and if you are getting your tanks filled without one, I'd bet it's because they know you and/or you took you class there.

Yes and as I stated I had both the PADI OW and SSI OW cards in hand. The sticker was on the PADI card. None of us were asking for anything above 21%.

this summer, so yes they are going to be on their P's and Q's. If you step out of line, yup, you guessed it....you will be told about it.

Originally I was backing Rawlings in this thread, I just changed positions a bit after getting some of what others were talking about.

As for dive fest, Erol and the Rawlings board donate all of the proceeds that day to DAN... the same organization that covers YOU FREE OF CHARGE with 20K coverage while you are an open water student. The board also gives away alot of pricey stuff too if you find the lucky golf ball.

DAN plays an important role. The CEO of Rawlings comes from academia, as does DAN. I've also read some interesting things when it comes to people actually trying to use their DAN insurance, but that is for another discussion.

In closing, If you play by the rules and ask questions and read the postings and rules; you will be treated with respect. I won't say that the stuff hasn't flown off the handle once or twice without provication, but it was because someone pi$$ed em off. And yes I have Pi$$ed them off to and was handed my head on a platter, and I deserved it.

I can't think of me doing anything to upset them. All I do is go and give them money.

I don't agree with having to put up with attitude when I'm spending money with someone. I did nothing to provoke anything, I just want to swim around a hole in the ground on our earth to get some exercise.

I needed some percussion music instrument parts from a company called Ludwig and ended up going through a local music store (Moe's Music). The guy was nice, and in return I want to spend money with him.

On the flipside if people are going to be rude without me provoking it, am I going to feel good about spending money with them? No.

I have to say, in the hobby of scuba diving, I've seen some of the worst customer service ever. I just don't see this crap in any of my other numerous hobbies.

I'm sure one busy weekend of working up there and you might see things from a different perspective....any volunteers!

As they put it, it's a business. Not a chairity.

Going off on a tangent, a lot of places don't fill the HP tanks properly. The only place I've been that consistently fills them to about 3500 is Diver down in morehead city. Does anyone know why most places don't fill them properly?

If you go to Dive Quarters & don't put a rush on for the tank you will end up with at least 3500psi, probably close to 3800 & will finally cool completely to 3500.
Heck if my LP tanks cool to below 3300 I raise a fuss.
I also know of someone that uses Lynnhaven & always complained about fills so I brought him over & when he asked for 3500, they said sure if that's all you want.:eyebrow:

If you go to Dive Quarters & don't put a rush on for the tank you will end up with at least 3500psi, probably close to 3800 & will finally cool completely to 3500.
Heck if my LP tanks cool to below 3300 I raise a fuss.
I also know of someone that uses Lynnhaven & always complained about fills so I brought him over & when he asked for 3500, they said sure if that's all you want.:eyebrow:

yeah, I'm going to have to try Dive Quarters and Divers Unlimited. I bought my tanks at lynnhaven (I prefer the people and customer service, but then again I know them better too) but the best fill I've ever gotten is probably at max. 3100!

Probably should start a different thread, but anyone diving Monday? It's a holiday for us government/military types. Would love a boat trip, but will go endure some horrible service :D if nothing else available. Tried to look at the latest Miss Lindsey sked, but I can't view it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom