Lake Rawlings Customer Service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had the same problem with LDC dive schedule, can view their Tech schedule though.
Sorry can't help with Monday, I'm don't have that day off & I am diving MHC Sat. & Sunday.

Thanks Rob, I called Lynnhaven and Dive Quarters, no trips. I have emails out to Outer Banks Diving (Hatteras) and the Outerbanks Diving Center (nags head), maybe something will show. If not, back to the hole in the ground (if they are open).
Rob

I had the same problem with LDC dive schedule, can view their Tech schedule though.
Sorry can't help with Monday, I'm don't have that day off & I am diving MHC Sat. & Sunday.

Yea it looks like the PDF file is broken.

On the subject of fills, I find that I normally outlast my dive buds, or we are ready to end the dive before the tank is at 500psi so I don't normally get bent out of shape when going to the lake.

Last Rawlings fill was 3400 psi, which is proper for my tank so no complaints there. The fill I got from LDC, didn't bother to top it off because I knew at 3000 psi I would be fine for the dive.

Now if it's going to be a boat trip, that will be another deal.

what is the water temp. at rawlings

This past Sat/Sun (oct 11/12) the temperature was just over 70F at the surface. It was in the 60s under the thermocline. I finished my Adv. Open Water dives :)

I'd like to take the opportunity to post in Kevin's defense:

I dive quite regularly at Lake Rawlings and have known Kevin for a couple of years now. I have witnessed some of the type episodes mentioned and can even see how/why some may feel the way they do.

I have also seen people who seemed to think because they had driven a ways to visit that they shouldn't have to stand in line and wait their turns for fills, or check ins.

I have seen people who walked right past the signs that state not to leave gear on the dock, and become very offended when Kevin asked them once and twice not to leave the gear on the dock because it obstructed access for other rule abiding divers. I have actually seen a women hit him after the 2nd warning, because he gathered up the stray gear and carried it off the dock and then placed it on the shore. I

think on any given BUSY Saturday or Sunday he puts up with way more than most of us individually would tolerate!

Short fills on tanks seem to be an expected thing when attempting to fill tanks (especially HP) while customer waits in 2-3 minutes. Tanks will heat up and read one pressure hot and then somewhat less after cooling with time or when immersed in cooler Lake Water.

I have many a time left my HP overnight to be filled and then requested it be pressure checked/topped off again the next morning and have never been rejected.

If diver doesn't pressure check his/her own tank after having it filled and leaving the Dive Shack I don't exactly see it as the Operator's fault.

I think that a shop that verifies a Diver's C-Card (Nitrox in this case) is a commendable thing these days vs. a fault.

Long story short, I think Lake Rawlings is somewhat getting bad rap here online for some issues. I am not real thrilled about recent rate increases after the Bath House going and the thought of charging 50 cents a shower on top of that but . . . I don't ever expect to take a (HOT) shower there either and prices on everything else tend to rise so . . .

I usually stay at the very economical but somewhat run down Economy Inn at McKinney (North on RT 1). $37.50 a night, Night sheets are clean. I am ONLY Sleeping and Showering there! I can not drive home and back to Tappahannock for $37.50 in gas even with the price coming down!

I am disappointed though that the Nottaway Restaurant is no longer open for Breakfast though!

I have been told that the Owner of the Davis Truck stop bought the Nottaway Hotel and wants to buy out the Restaurant although the family has so far retained it.

IF he eventually gets ownership of the Restaurant too he is going to tear down BOTH and put up a Holiday Inn Express and a Denny's.

I am sure then prices will continue to rise!

Ok, I am through ranting on now!

If you look at the thread I originally posted in their defense. Then randomly when I went there I ended up on the receiving end of what others were talking about, and posted my experiences.

I have also seen people who seemed to think because they had driven a ways to visit that they shouldn't have to stand in line and wait their turns for fills, or check ins.

This wasn't our case. There was no one else in the shop. Period.

think on any given BUSY Saturday or Sunday he puts up with way more than most of us individually would tolerate!

If he is overworked then they need to hire more people. In our experience there was no other people in the shop, both instances. We were giving them money for service, nothing out of the ordinary.
No que of tanks, no people, just us.

Short fills on tanks seem to be an expected thing when attempting to fill tanks (especially HP) while customer waits in 2-3 minutes. Tanks will heat up and read one pressure hot and then somewhat less after cooling with time or when immersed in cooler Lake Water.

Agreed. It's a quarry. I never get worked up if the PSI is 2700 or 3400. Both are fine with me for a quarry dive. Zero complaints.

I think that a shop that verifies a Diver's C-Card (Nitrox in this case) is a commendable thing these days vs. a fault.

As I stated, I had the card and he rejected it. I wasn't getting a Nitrox fill, I was getting a standard air fill but the tank originally had Nitrox. I didn't get worked up over this. The reason my SSI sticker was on my PADI card is because *HE* said it had to be the year before. The SSI OW card took a few weeks to come in but you get the stickers immediately for the card upon completing the course (I was originally PADI OW, then got SSI Nitrox, partially completed the PADI AOW (need to finish). Then it's on to Advanced Nitrox followed by SDI Inspiration CCR. I put the SSI sticker on the PADI card, but carry the SSI card as well. I'll confront Lynnhaven about it when I'm in there (got blown out from the trip on Sunday!)

I thought it was poor taste to snap at the other guys who were there, with standard steel HP tanks, no Nitrox decal, and basically accuse them of having a Nitrox fill... 23% or something. There wasn't enough time to calibrate the analyzer to even get a good reading. Their fill was a standard air fill done by Dive Quarters in Virginia Beach. I in no way believe Dive Quarters did anything wrong. It's hard to describe how it went down. It's confusing and odd. Seemed like being confrontational for the sake of being confrontational.

Long story short, I think Lake Rawlings is somewhat getting bad rap here online for some issues. I am not real thrilled about recent rate increases after the Bath House going and the thought of charging 50 cents a shower on top of that but . . . I don't ever expect to take a (HOT) shower there either and prices on everything else tend to rise so . . .

I never complained about rate increases or the showers. I specifically recalled my original support for them after experiencing what other of the people complained about.

I like the actual lake. I was certified there. I've been there probably 16 times over the past 3 years, probably more. I meet friends there often.

But it comes down to treatment of customers. SCUBA diving stands out to me. It seems like the only business where I've experienced such odd customer service from companies to employees.

Paying to get crapped on isn't my expectations. I thought the thread was interesting but originally supported the quarry knowing how customer service goes. Then I experienced it myself.

I want them to stay in business. I'm okay with giving them my money, but I don't expect to get crapped on. I've never broken their rules. I do my best to dive safe. I read the open circuit and closed circuit accident and mishap forums on here and RBW often. I see what happens. I like the lake for gaining experience, and trying out random configurations and sometimes "antique" equipment.

I am sure then prices will continue to rise!

Prices will rise to what the market will bear. I expect continued pullback in consumer spending as the excesses of the past 10 years fueled by the credit bubble catches up. Wages have been stagnant since 2001 (adj for inflation) in most cases, and most employment gains since 2001 were fueled by the housing mania. Everything from the housing mania, all the gains, are unwarranted and will have to be given back. The gov't can't save it, since the gains weren't based on real productivity of people. It was based upon debt.

It is my suspicion that this will have a negative impact on the hobby of diving, as I believe a portion of the spending was probably fueled by equity extraction (for vacations), and wonder if some equipment purchased (rebreathers and other high ticket items) were funded by similar sources. The lack of wealth effect euphoria (no more huge house value gains that do nothing for the productivity of the nation) will cause consumers to cut back.

ALL A GREAT reason why you should treat paying customers well, and with respect. If you have personal problems, don't shove it on random customers. I've worked in customer service, And I've been crapped on by the customer. I worked customer service for an internet provider with 100,000 customers when I was younger (I now work for the founders of that company as a sr. systems engineer, very ironic). I remember customers flat out telling me that they are better than me, that they make 4 times my salary and other garbage without cause or reason. I guess they were offended they had to ask for help and their psychological defense was to berate me. And they didn't seem to know what they were doing. You just chuckle, and save it for war stories at the bar with friends. I didn't care. My job was to make my company look good to the customer. They can yell all they want, but we were there to fix their issues and that is what we did. Everyone would get their problem solved if they wished.

I brought the matters to the attention of the owner of Rawlings, and he can do what he wants with it. I'm not going to fight wars for them. I learned quite a bit over the thread. I don't even remember what the original post was about.

In the end, if something is wrong with your business and is causing employees to act inappropriately towards customers (and it isn't a case of employee enjoying being a jerk), then perhaps it's time to re-analyze business models. As an academic one would think the owner of the quarry would know it's 2008. It's all about working smarter, not harder!!

Telemonster,

Ummm don't know what to tell you, but everyone I know who goes to the quarry and treats Kevin with a little respect gets the same in return. Best I can tell you is if you want to write volumes because you fell it neccessary to complain about the staff and quarry, well; there are others places to dive!

Kevin just works there kinda like you worked for a company that supported 100K costomers. He just does it face to face and on a smaller customer base. The offer stands....... Come up there next summer and work one busy weekend. BTW, he has to follow a given set of rules governing the fill of Nitrox. That is mandated by Dept of Tranportation (DoT), and if he breaks the rules, he gets screwed! get it! Every one I know has a Nitrox Card and they show it along with thier 'C' card and they get a fill. Pretty simple not even academic! You might try purchasing another tank and they may help to cure the problems of getting fills, or you can leave one while you go dive and you'll get a fill. If you want it fast, don't expect it to be full, you are correct in noting that the fill will "heat up" and read less when it cools down.

Guess I'm trying to say... quit yer bitchn' and relax it will work itself out brother.

i dove at rawlings this weekend with the dui classes i did it in a 7mm semi dry i was not cold 72 deg on surface to 42 feet then drops to 62 deg to bottom viz was 50+++ great i had a blast

i did use the showers i put 1 dollar in and i had more time than i need i cant complane at all

now that I have read all posts and usally just let people say anything and have never responded be fore I thought it about timeto weigh in on a few things. please read my previous post and think that usally there are 2 sides to every story it just happen that I was there and needed to tell what actually happned. now as to the second Item that makes me puzzled. TELEMONSTER
please forgive me if Im wrong but did you say yhat you had a ssi sticker on your padi ow card.and the ssi card you had was also a ow card? I am looking at my ssi nitrox card that clearly says nitrox . I often fill nitrox tanks .and if you brought me a ssi sticker on a padi card I wouldnt take it either unless I looked at a ssi card that clearly said nitrox. and please rember that any breathing gas over 21 percent is considered nitrox and if I was to knowingly let someone dive with even 22 perctent and anything happned I would be accountible in court if there were a problem. so in one of you previous posts he asked you and you just wanted a top off. I would have done the same and not filled or would have drained the tank just to meet the responsilibilty of not knowingly letting a uncertified person dive nitrox. now that is only my take of my interpretationand once again if i misread the post i apoligise. however I agree with you partially about the parking thing It may be a small thing if nobody was around but if it was busy and I parked blocking the road if only for a minute and something was to happen what if I had trouble finding my keys?? I myself have bee asked to move over on a few occations and really It is not very hard to pull over a few feet to the side. I even never park in a handicap spot and would not park in the no parking zone at the local food lion even for a minuite I have seen cars with the windows broken out and a fire hose running thru. they only parked there for just a moument. just a few thoughts.

jay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom