Lake Rawings June 18th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Intrepid:
The 'guy in yellow stuff' was Dan Pontbriand, who just moved here from the Olympic Penninsula in the state of Washington. He's the Director of Diving Operations for the National Parks Service (don't call him "Mr. Ranger" :) ), and he said he had a real good time with y'all. He has a really neat story to tell about investigating a tragic mystery over 70 years old, and a fascinating powerpoint slide presentation to go with it. So, if you guys ever have a get-together or meeting, and you're looking for an interesting speaker, contact him. (You can also read about it in the current edition of Curt Bowen's 'Advanced Diver Magazine', Dan's photo is in the story.)

Thanks for letting us join you guys, it was a great day!
I had a nice long chat with Dan about that case, I tried to find some information on the Internet about it, but did not do too well. Did find a little blurb, would love to find out more. It is truly an amazing story, he told me it was picked up buy either the History Channel, or Discover Channel (don't recall which it was). He would indeed make a great speaker....

Enjoyed meeting everyone I had not already met.

Linda
aka lindabluedolphin
aka bluedolphin

Dan also talked with us about diving a B-22 in Lake Mead. What a dive! They also made a Deep Sea Detectives episode about it. Great episode.

Many thanks to Doc for taking the time working with me on skills (OOA, lift bag, reel, propulsion, bouyancy, and others). He's very patient, and a great teacher. Doc, you should be an instructor (if you're willing to put up with noobs like me).

Am I the only one who came home with more gear than I brought down? So far:
Anne - left her camera
Doc - left his chairs
Jason - left his rock boots
Jeff - lost his mask

I - brought back Doc's chairs
I - found a small uw LED light while diving (it still worked!)

It was great diving with all of you. Here's my brief report (mostly posted on the "other" site):
I had a great time last weekend. The diving was the best quarry diving I've done. The roadkill burgers were great, and I had a good time with the group. Met TONS of new people, and got to dive with some really great divers (I learned alot). Many thanks to Paula for showing me the "ropes" of primitive camping skills, as I haven't been camping since elementary school (and we were in an RV - doesn't count). The shower when I got home was much needed.

Doc and I scoured the bottom Saturday afternoon looking for the lost mask, but didn't find it. Oh well. Another sacrifice to the scuba gods to keep them happy. At the end of Friday's night dive with Paula, I found a nice little Princeton LED light. I will add it to my kit as a good backup light. But I'll have to remove that pesky retractor first (those DIR folks will have a field day with that one!).

Doc's dinner was great too It was fun sitting around the citronella candle swapping scuba tales with Paula, Doc, Dan, and Ken (and the dog). And I think we have a few new recruits for the group, Joe and Walter, with whom Paula and I dove Sunday morning. It was a very nice relaxing dive. Great way to end a great weekend. They know how to camp in style, and served us a yummy breakfast.

Mike

Mike Loyco:
Dan also talked with us about diving a B-22 in Lake Mead. What a dive! They also made a Deep Sea Detectives episode about it. Great episode.

Oops, I meant B-29. must...get...under...water...now!

What a great weekend! I guess alot of people would have a hard time imagining having that much fun at a little old quarry... But fun it was! :banana:

I am still always amazed that people like Doc, Dan, and Mark are so open and willing to dive and share information with those not at their level, it is pretty awesome!

You have gotta love the dive community!

Attached is a picture of old Jason all dialed in, wreck diving Rawlings style...

I need to work on the photography skills and get some topside pics as well...

Thanks again everyone for a great weekend!

Ken

Let's see Ken, counting gear, etc that card cost you over a grand, right? So is there a 10% "finders" fee to Paula???

Back
Top Bottom