Lake Rawings June 18th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The 'guy in yellow stuff' was Dan Pontbriand, who just moved here from the Olympic Penninsula in the state of Washington. He's the Director of Diving Operations for the National Parks Service (don't call him "Mr. Ranger" :) ), and he said he had a real good time with y'all. He has a really neat story to tell about investigating a tragic mystery over 70 years old, and a fascinating powerpoint slide presentation to go with it. So, if you guys ever have a get-together or meeting, and you're looking for an interesting speaker, contact him. (You can also read about it in the current edition of Curt Bowen's 'Advanced Diver Magazine', Dan's photo is in the story.)

Thanks for letting us join you guys, it was a great day!

Like Jason said - GREAT turnout, GREAT folks, GREAT Food, GREAT diving!!! So some dive stats: Dive one was on the right side (shallow) side of the lake - a group of eight of us surface swam to the bus buoy and decended to play around the bus and swim back toward the entry area, stopping at the sailboat hull and playing with the fish - even played with the computers! 40 minutes, Air temp mid-70's (GREAT!) surface about 72, max depth 26 ffw @ 69 degrees. LESSON LEARNED: can't keep 8 people together - MUST have primary teams and probably best to have teams of 4 max - two teams might stay together - ours didn't!

Second Dive: Left (deep) side of lake. Linda, Marci, Jeff and I teamed (Marci smartly said we needed primary teams!) and surface swam to the wheelhouse boat buoy. I held up the group for a few minutes - seemd that after all that good food and warm sun (low-mid 80's) when even the 70 degree surface water hit my legs - they wanted to cramp. Need more potassium - KCl tabs or a couple of bannana's next time. Marci started decending - 'cause she said she's slow to eq - but not this time! Jeff and Linda hit the top of the boat, I was still decending, and here come Jeff up to about 30 feet - making the "I'm cold" sign. AND boy was it!!! 56 degrees (or less?) on top of the wheelhouse at 50 feet - we all decided that was too cold, so we went up to about 38 ffw - and proceded to swim around the rock wall back to the entry. Linda and I teamed and I have to say, every time I rolled to check - she was right there, slightly above and behind me - as well as the Marci & Jeff team - about 10 ft back. Viz was good - 15 to 25 feet - could see the good 'ole sun causing warm thermals at that depth, driving down the thermocline - pretty neat!. I dropped down a couple of times to the bottom around some statues. Visited the coke machine and the vertical boat on the way back. Linda and I played around the left entry forest for our safety stop, wached the bedding bream then headed back. Jeff unfortnately lost his mast between the 15 ft platform and the entry. I went back out for about 10 min solo for a "search and retrevial" unfortunately, couldn't find it. Did you get it back, Jeff? Stats: 34 min, 50 ft (Marci at 55 at the bottom of the wheelhouse boat, brave and warm soul!), 56 degrees min (that at 38 ffw - I really think it was a little colder at 50 ffw, but maybe we just got used to it or the swmming kept us a little warmer).

I'll post photos in my album after this. THANKS to all who brought stuff, thanks mostly for the great fun! Oh - and Jeff has set the new standard for "burgers with stuff" - hey Jeff - what kinds of roadkill was that?

Hey, I just realized I left my rockboots there. Please tell me someone grabbed them for me!! They are a size 9 and have my name written inside on the tongue. I was in such a hurry...I knew I was going to leave something. Anyboby find them?!

Jason

Jason, I picked them up. You also forgot some sort of grey cooler bag (?) thingie that Paula had picked up, so I put your rock boots inside it and Paula said she would give them to you next weekend.

[Jeff - Mike Loyco and I looked all around for your mask, however we did not find it. Sorry about that!]

NCDiver2004:
Jeff unfortnately lost his mast between the 15 ft platform and the entry. I went back out for about 10 min solo for a "search and retrevial" unfortunately, couldn't find it.

How on earth will he get his sail up now?

Glad to hear ya'll had a good time, I wish I could have been there but I had to work this weekend in order to be off next weekend for the Triangle Wrecks trip.

Sorry about your boots, Jason!

Big thanks to Doc Intrepid for grabbing my boots!!!!:D

Jason

anybody find a camera? anne may have left hers, but she isn't sure 'cause she's still on the road. if she left it, it's a film slr in a small black case.

Sorry I missed you guys. Was there on Friday, rolled out about 7:00. If I had seen this post earlier, would have crashed at my friend Fred's camper and dove on Saturday too. Sounds like fun. I did a 3mm full suit with hooded vest on Friday, and by the third dive was not going below 30'.
Any of you that where there early on Friday may recognize my equipment.

Wow, what a great trip.

Jamiep3 - I think I met up with some friends of yours (Joe and Walt) and did a dive with them and Mike before I left this morning. Needed to get cooled off before the 7.5 hour trek. :)

It was so nice to see old friends and meet new ones. Thanks again for dinner Doc, you can come cook for me anytime. What a great time talking with you and Dan at the roaring campfire afterwards.

Mike and Ken it was really fun getting to camp with you. Ken, Greg is really jealous that I slept with another guy while I was away. :wink:

Mark, thanks for the frog kicking lessons.

Scubabones and Volky, you guys were a blast and I hope I get to dive with you again very soon, we made a great little group.

Glenn, your family was great and so were you. It was so nice talking with your wife. She's really great.

Kristi, I'm so bummed you couldn't dive, but I'm glad you came out anyway and CB it's always a pleasure - thanks for loaning me the book. I'm sure the dogs will have fun reading it. :) Lena you're too cute!

Marci, I didn't get to spend enough time with you this time. I'm saddened by that. Next time.

Linda, it was a pleasure meeting and diving with you - until next time. I hope the Jeff burgers didn't hurt you too much. :)

Pedro - You are so much fun. You and Volky have to get me started on the PR lessons so that I can be an official member of the club. I wish I would have gotten more dive time with you. It was a lot of fun.

Jason - Thanks so much for coming out and babysitting me on Friday night. I was so glad to be able to get in the water. I was going to be bummed out just sitting there. That was super nice. How did your gig go? So how much are you willing to put up for the stuff I've got - I'm thinking of a number... :wink: Just teasing. I can mail it to you if you need it before this weekend, just let me know. I have your boots, cooler and tarp. Think big numbers! :D

Jeff - you are so crazy, 'biner the mask, Jeff, 'biner the mask. Sorry I made you sick on the first dive. :( What a great daughter and Grandboy (cute little tushie too!), they were a blast. I can't wait to play with them again.

If I'm forgetting anyone just kick me, because there were so many great people to talk and dive with and I had such a great time, but I sure did love the shower as soon as I walked in the door. Thanks for putting up with my 3 day non showered perfume. :)

Can't wait for the Triangle next week.

Paula

Back
Top Bottom