Lake Ouachita Road Trip (Oct 3/4)

Are you comin' with us, or gonna stick around the house and do your chores? LOL!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k-valve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK. This is the official trip dates. Hope all of ya'll that were interested before can still make it. We may have to drive into Little Rock for fills, but hey, bring plenty of tanks and you'll do less filling, right?

I'm leaving Friday afternoon from Austin. Last I checked Shawn and HeavyJeffD were going to carpool with me. I might be able to take one more. Just depends if Syd is joining us or not. She has a hearing on Friday or Monday that might keep her home.

I need an idea of how many people are definitely joining us, so there is another poll. Just two answers this time: "Yes, I'll definitely be there." and "No, I can't make it." If you're not sure don't answer the poll until you are. I'm looking for firm numbers for a boat.

Camping and hotels are no biggie...they are all over the area. Renting a pontoon should be pretty simple too. We just need people to commit.

No more date changes. This is it. Hope to see a bunch of you there!

Refer to this thread for more information: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/te...ita-swamper-trip-sept-26-27-come-join-us.html

I'm in!

Just let me know if I need to bring my tent and stuff or if we're hoteling it, either is fine with me. :)

I do hope to be there! My surgery was last week, and hand is healing nicely, much better than last time! I'm a strong "probably" for this trip, but will let you know for sure when I have a final okay... miss everyone terribly!!!

John,

Please post a list of close by *motels for us non camping type!

I am assuming this will be good old recreational sport diving.....leaving tech for another trip.

Are we diving from the pontoon on Sat. only, and then heading home Sunday?

THANKS

John,

Please post a list of close by *motels for us non camping type!

I am assuming this will be good old recreational sport diving.....leaving tech for another trip.

Are we diving from the pontoon on Sat. only, and then heading home Sunday?

THANKS

I promised John I would ride shotgun out of Austin and tell Irish jokes the whole way.
Maybe tip a few Irish whiskeys and all.

Road trips are a whole lot of fun with your dive friends.

Plus we have Johns big rig and customized diving trailer.

Anyone know in Early October water temperature of this lake?

How many tanks to bring? How many planned dives?

Max Depth?

Outside temperature that time of year? Planning on the clothes to bring. shorts and Tshirt may not be the best kind of thing in Arkansas.

Night diving?

is this only a boat diving lake from what I hear? absolutely no shore diving for this trip?

:no:

I currently only have two O2 tanks, but may have a third Nitrox tank shortly (if it's appropriate/worth bringing).

Waiting on the above requested profile information. :)

I currently only have two O2 tanks, but may have a third Nitrox tank shortly (if it's appropriate/worth bringing).

Waiting on the above requested profile information. :)

I have 2 - 120's O2
I have 1 - Nitrox 100 cf
I have 1 - 63 cf I call my shorty
I have 2 - Nitrox 80's
I have 2 - ponies ready to go depending on depth - 1 30cf and 1 19cf

Need to hear from John to decide how many I am taking and if I even need Nitrox (depends on multi level dive plan and surface interval plan)

Scuba Diving is so addictive to equipment, isn't it.

:rofl3:

Hey, y'all...I've been in the UK for the last week or so. I'll find some answers to the questions you've posted and get back to you in the next couple of days. I'm looking forward to this trip. It's gonna rock!!!!

First of all, here are a couple of websites that give a lot of info:
http://www.dtmag.com/dive-usa/locations/LakeOuachitaAR.html
Lake Ouachita, Arkansas | Scuba Diving Magazine

There are more websites included in the answers below to some of your questions:

1. What are the water temps?
Apparently, there is a distinct thermocline at 40'-60'. Surface temps tend to be warm, but drop approximately 20 degrees after the thermocline. One website recommended a 3mil wetsuit at lower depths, and a 7mil if you intend to dive deep.

2. What is the depth?
Depths vary, of course. There are plenty of places where the depth is in the 120' range. The deep side of Crawdad Island is 180' so there is potential for those who are interested to do some technical diving.

3. How many tanks should I bring?
I don't know what to tell you about the number of tanks to bring, but I plan on bringing two sets of doubles, 80cf of O2 and 80cf of 50%. We are not going to get fills at the lake as the only fill station closes the last weekend in Sept. We'll have to drive in to Little Rock to refill if we're interested in that, but I don't think it's all that far. Hours of operation for the shops (and there are several) are 9-7 on Friday and 9-5 on Saturday. Here are some of the shops' web addresses:
http://www.ricksdivecenter.com/center/center_index.html
Schedules for the Little Rock Dive Shop
http://www.diveshopii.com/

4. Rec or tech?
Personally, I don't care and am happy to leave this up to y'all, but it sounds to me like we can do both off the same boat depending on the location. For example, one side of Crawdad Island is at technical depths while the other is within recreational depths. I don't mind just doing recreational depths, however. My understanding is that the crystals at Zebra Rock are at recreational depths anyway and that's what I'm going for...besides the party of course! :D

There is also the Geo-Float Trail, a 16-mile, water-based trail created to help shed light on the lake's natural geological formations. Many stops featured on the trail...Zebra Rock, Whirlpool and Checkerboard Point to name a few...are some of the lake's most popular dive spots. Local marinas carry brochures of the trail.

5. Any shore diving?
Yes, there is. Not a lot, but the main shore entry for divers is at the far end of the Blakely Mountain Dam. A long series of steps lead from a parking area down to the water and then continue deep into the lake's depth. From the submerged stairway there are cables laid out in a path to a series of sunken boats and vehicles at a variety of depths. This area has some of the clearest visibility in the lake with no current from the hydroelectric dam. The rock face around the dam can reach about 190 feet deep.

6. Where will we be diving?
Well, Zebra Island (#49) and the dam are both on the east end of the lake, http://www.lakeouachita.org/images/lake-ouachita-map.jpg, near the State Park. This is where I suggest we camp also. More info on the park can be found at: Lake Ouachita state Park near Hot Springs, Arkansas ? popular fishing, camping haven.

7. What about boat rentals?
We can rent a 21' pontoon boat at the marina in the State Park for $175/day + fuel. Divided by a half dozen folks that's less than $30/person plus fuel, which shouldn't be too bad with the 50hp outboard that comes with it. Once we get another couple of folks committing I'll see about reserving campsites and a boat.

8. Are there some motels close by?
There are motels and resorts all around the lake. You can camp at the park or you can rent a cabin there. See the URL above for the Ouachita State Park. There is a link to prices for camping and cabins. If you would prefer to stay in a motel or hotel check out this website: Lake Ouachita State Park Travel Guide - Top Hotels, Restaurants, Vacations, Sightseeing in Lake Ouachita State Park : Professional Travel Guide. They point you to several places you can stay on the lake. This is the beginning of their offseason, so I would think prices would be decent.

Any more questions ask. Sign up for the poll too! I'd really like to have a few more divers for the boat. Most importantly, don't say you're going to come if you're not 100% sure. If you commit we'll expect to see you there. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom