Lake Mohave Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it was a joke guys, hence the smile face...actually it can be spelled both ways. depends on which map or paper (website in your cases) you look at. I actually talked to an old USGS geologist who mapped this area and he had a pretty good story why the NPS uses an "h" instead of a "j"...but it is probably just a story. But, since the government says it's an "h" it has to be right, even if it might be a 60 yr old clerical mistake

So it must be the mohave desert...:)

I do like the cynical "smart guy" text.

Let me know when you guys jave figured it out. This jas to be one of the questions that jas confused people for years. I javen't seen a clear cut answer one way or the other.

:wink:

clown trigger:
it was a joke guys,

You might want to check your spelling. I think you meant hoke. :)

clown trigger:
it was a joke guys, hence the smile face...actually it can be spelled both ways. depends on which map or paper (website in your cases) you look at. I actually talked to an old USGS geologist who mapped this area and he had a pretty good story why the NPS uses an "h" instead of a "j"...but it is probably just a story. But, since the government says it's an "h" it has to be right, even if it might be a 60 yr old clerical mistake

So it must be the mohave desert...:)

I do like the cynical "smart guy" text.
Funny thing, after I posted that, I read your profile and saw occupation hydrogeologist and thought to myself "Dude he probably IS a smart guy and not just a wise a.s.s. blackjack dealer from Vegas" :wink: . Being the curious sort of guy I am I had to look up what the h.e.l.l. a hydrogeologist is, you know to make sure it wasn't some fancy term for drinking fountain technician, pool cleaner or something :D. Based on what I found I also thought to myself, "Dude I bet he got that spelling off some old map!" :11: (Yes, I call myself Dude when I refer to myself while talking to myself and Yes, I know the Hardy Boys got nuttin' on me...pansies! :crafty: )

I also found (right or wrong) from a native american site:

"Mohave means "three mountains" and refers specifically to the "needles" of rock that rise above the Colorado River. The Mohave had much in common with the Chemehuevi and Quechan cultures and had a language similar to the Havasupai, Yavapai, and Hualapai. Mohave were probably the most populous and the most hostile of the Yuman-speaking tribes."

And isn't the h/j thing Spanish...not [-]Indian[/-]...(oops) Native American?

-Garrett

Interesting revival of this thread. I've wondered about the j/h thing with the lake and the desert.

Anyway, for anyone that's interested, lake conditions 12/3 - 56 degrees, 20' visibility, very windy on the surface. I have learned that the wind cuts through the canyon from November to about May. Doesn't make for great surface conditions.

My 2cents....

I live here in beautiful Mohave Valley situated in scenic Mohave County which borders
Lake Mohave.....

That aside... Any instructors available in the area?? I would like a refresher & to get my wife certified????

Thanks

mohave_steve (or is it mojave???)

Unfortunately, there aren't any shops in your area. There used to be a couple, but they both closed down, I think more from lack of trying on the owners' parts than anything else. The closest shop to your area is in Kingman, but from what I understand, they don't do any local diving and have limited hours of operation. The next closest shop is in Lake Havasu City. It's a great shop with great instructors. They are SDI and mainly into technical diving, but do OW certifications. From there, you head to Boulder City, Henderson, or Vegas for a wide variety of shops. I believe there are also some independent instructors in the Vegas/Henderson area, but I don't know who they are. I've just seen them out at Mead on occasion.

Did 2 dives at Mohave Lake on 1/27, water temp 48F and vis an incredible 35', quite a bit less by the bus and Van when a few divers started circling around it and silt got all over the place, overall nice dives, I whish there was some more rocks in the bottom of the lake to make it even more interesting, but you can't have everything.
Keep Diving
Andres

shark.byte.usa:
I also found (right or wrong) from a native american site:

"Mohave means "three mountains" and refers specifically to the "needles" of rock that rise above the Colorado River. The Mohave had much in common with the Chemehuevi and Quechan cultures and had a language similar to the Havasupai, Yavapai, and Hualapai. Mohave were probably the most populous and the most hostile of the Yuman-speaking tribes."

And isn't the h/j thing Spanish...not [-]Indian[/-]...(oops) Native American?

-Garrett

Great info...you sold me.

How has the wind been?
What is the water temp?
At what depth is the bus, is it easy to locate?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom