Lake Jocassee update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ya I have not been able to find a local divers annonymous:rofl3:
Is the viz in thr river 15'? or is it less /better?

We have had virtually no rain for about 2 weeks -so good vis and temps as warm as it gets (71 degrees). The river vis was 10-15'. Fish life was great. Schools of shad, huge carp, bass, blue gills, shell crackers.

My favorite part of the day and one of Ken playing with his camera!

Attachments

• PIC_022912406PIC_0229004.jpg
    PIC_022912406PIC_0229004.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 78
  • PIC_023312410PIC_0233006.jpg
    PIC_023312410PIC_0233006.jpg
    645.5 KB · Views: 91
Anybody happen to have been to Lake Keowee recently and have any updates on visibility? I'm trying to decide between Keowee and Jocassee for Friday.

I would go for Josassee and go over to the wall by the Junk . The ramp is ok if you get there through the week days and early on weekends before all the OW students get there. They have a tendancy to stur it up . the viz is better when you get past 65' to 70'

Anybody happen to have been to Lake Keowee recently and have any updates on visibility? I'm trying to decide between Keowee and Jocassee for Friday.

The viz at Keowee depends on the location. Last time I was there, the viz was roughly the same as a bad day at Jocassee.

Thanks guys for the responses. I've been over at the Junk area the last 4 or 5 weeks and was looking for a bit of change of scenery but I dont think the vis is any good right now in Keowee. I generally do avoid the ramp as it tends to get too crowded and silty. Appreciate the responses and maybe I'll catch some of you up there at some point.

Thanks guys for the responses. I've been over at the Junk area the last 4 or 5 weeks and was looking for a bit of change of scenery but I dont think the vis is any good right now in Keowee. I generally do avoid the ramp as it tends to get too crowded and silty. Appreciate the responses and maybe I'll catch some of you up there at some point.

Have you been to cracken's beach? If you have someone tending the boat(assuming you are using your own boat) on the surface you could go there(I say that because it is close to the dam and intakes). Its over by the dam along the wall and the viz is usually better there. There is a surface marker. There is also a fissure at about 80'. There is some cool, smaller walls about 50' with lots of fish life usually. It has a sandy bottom to the area. Worth checking out. It can have some light current depending on it they are pumping water.

Last edited:
Went out today, what a perfect day! Went to find the forest and saw it finally. 105' and the 3mm wasn't quite thick enough, 65 deg. Spend the rest of the day helping out folks getting certified. Can't wait to go out again. :D

Were you there in the morning or afternoon?

Were you there in the morning or afternoon?
In the morning....left a little after 1 pm. I was with the group that was finishing up some dives for their AOW cert.

Back
Top Bottom