Lake Jocassee update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krawlings

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all just would like to give an update at Jocassee. tony_webb and I went to JOCASSE Saturday 16 weather was not anything like predicted (no THUNDER STORMS ) partly clouty and a little rain early 8:00 -8:30 am. Nothing to stop us there . We got in 3 dive we where shooting for 4 dives. But we had a tuff time to find some place to fill our tanks . Off The Wall was CLOSED , Bill was out of town . We did find some one to fill them for us Mike (Scuba shop ) Thank you Mike The day was great

Air temp. 75-80
surface 57-59
35' 58
55'-64' 55
viz 10 'to 15'
not a lot of fish life around the junk and area

I was out there Saturday too,we went out on the scuba shops boat. We dove the junk,went down the wall,not many fish,dive times were about 30 minutes each,depths about 60 ft max,my computer registered 52 degrees. Had a good time and got to blow some bubbles and also got some dives in with a old friend who was recently certified. Vis was about 15ft.

We were the Private pontoon boat tied up on the buoy next to one of off the wall boats . When we got there , the only boats there at the time was some fishing boats trolling . Maybe we will see you ther some time .we are going to try and go diving once a month see you ther

Ken

Mark,

Was there anything worth looking at, on the wall? When you say on the wall, I am assuming that you are talking about the big vertical wall sticking out of the water, correct? Mike did say, "there usually was a lot of fish over by the platform. Did you guys happen to get in that little cove? I was wondering about the depth there? Last year when the lake was down it was only 10-13 feet, so I am guessing it is aout 20-25 feet now? Thanks for the info!

Sorry for the rambling it is way past my bed time!

Last edited:
Ken,

Thanks for bringing me along diving with you. I had a great time and look forward to putting another diving trip together real soon. The water was not as bad as I thought it would be either. Just peeling myself out of that 7mil wet suit was a pain in the arse!:rofl3: Next time, I think I will bring some butter so I can get in and out of that thing!:shocked2:

For the boaters and hikers,
Also I forgot to add the waterfalls are flowing really well on lake Jocassee. you can almost drive the boat right to the base of them! Beware of a few limbs and islands barely under the water and not marked!

Last edited:
It was about 20 ft off the wall,then we swam out to the ledge where it dropped down to about 60 ft.,saw some fish,not too many,I did see one I have never seen before,it was about 6-8 inchs long,shaped like a bass or perch but it was a bottom fish,just laying on the bottom. It swam off when we got close to it. Try some dollar store hair conditioner to get in and out of that 7 mill. wetsuit,it helps alot on mine,I just lube up my arms and legs real good and it help slide in and out,also helps with the wetsuit smell some.

Thanks for the update. Anybody knows if the remote ramp is open to diving. IÃÎ thinking about coming down this Sunday.

Yes, the boat ramp was open and looked to be pretty busy! They lake is almost to full pool so the entry on the ramp should be easy! Just walk in, unlike last year, you had to climb over the rift raft to get in.

It was about 20 ft off the wall,then we swam out to the ledge where it dropped down to about 60 ft.,saw some fish,not too many,I did see one I have never seen before,it was about 6-8 inchs long,shaped like a bass or perch but it was a bottom fish,just laying on the bottom. It swam off when we got close to it. Try some dollar store hair conditioner to get in and out of that 7 mill. wetsuit,it helps alot on mine,I just lube up my arms and legs real good and it help slide in and out,also helps with the wetsuit smell some.

I wonder if the fish you saw was a lake trout? When we got out close to the junk there was a bunch of fishing boats out in the area. I would think lake trout would be deeper but I do not know! I saw a couple of nice ones when we tied off to the dock and one of the fishing companies came in.

Thanks, I will have to give the conditioner a try.

Jocassee was only 10 feet bellow full pool this past Sunday. Temps were still a little cool, but not enough to keep away the Memorial Day weekend divers.
I hope the weather will be nice this weekend. I will be finishing the last of my deep, night and navigational certification dives, then only a few more until my official advanced cert.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom