Lake Jocassee Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xiSkiGuy:
The young guy is Kris. Chris helps a lot with classes, but doesn't usually work retail.
o ok, maybe i havent met that chris yet. the only bald guy i know up there is randy. ive only dove with them twice once was with randy and the othe time was with reese. neither time did either one have an assistant......wait i take that back it was 3 times, the 3rd time was with an older guy, but i cant remeber his name....mark? maybe? i dunno. about the deco time i took....i know that a minute or so is usually safe we just had some extra air due to turning the dive at 2k so we took extra deco stops...but yea the computer is purely referance material i agree with you 100% on that.....the only thing that will save your arse is you, not a machine that gives you referance numbers!

sandmanz32:
o ok, maybe i havent met that chris yet. the only bald guy i know up there is randy. ive only dove with them twice once was with randy and the othe time was with reese. neither time did either one have an assistant......wait i take that back it was 3 times, the 3rd time was with an older guy, but i cant remeber his name....mark? maybe? i dunno. about the deco time i took....i know that a minute or so is usually safe we just had some extra air due to turning the dive at 2k so we took extra deco stops...but yea the computer is purely referance material i agree with you 100% on that.....the only thing that will save your arse is you, not a machine that gives you referance numbers!
Unless he was dive mastering for your class or happened to be in the store when you were, you probably wouldn't have had an occasion to meet Chris.

When you have the gas it's always a good idea to take some extra time to get to the surface. However depending on the dive profile, adding that time in too deep will actually increase your nitrogen loading. You can extend your shallow stops with no adverse effect, so stopping for a minute or so at 50' and then spending extra time above 30' would probably have been more beneficial than adding 5 minutes at 50'. YMMV.

PS- I'm telling Randy he's "short", "bald", and "husky" and Mark that he's "old"! :D

xiSkiGuy:
Unless he was dive mastering for your class or happened to be in the store when you were, you probably wouldn't have had an occasion to meet Chris.

When you have the gas it's always a good idea to take some extra time to get to the surface. However depending on the dive profile, adding that time in too deep will actually increase your nitrogen loading. You can extend your shallow stops with no adverse effect, so stopping for a minute or so at 50' and then spending extra time above 30' would probably have been more beneficial than adding 5 minutes at 50'. YMMV.

PS- I'm telling Randy he's "short", "bald", and "husky" and Mark that he's "old"! :D
lmao!!! thats fine im sure ive told them worse lol

I'm glad the Bermuda Triangle gang is active on Scuba Board. This is the only Dive Shop I know where the Instructors are the best in the business, and Divemasters will do everything possible to make sure you have an extra safe experience (I know). If you interested in some of these advanced dives, just give Reese a call.

Lake Jocassee is probably 4 - 5 hours North West out of Savannah. Come on up if you get a chance!

Dive Safe.

dolphinfan:
What kind of computer do you have that required a stop at 50' for 5 minutes on a 110' dive? ...

That is a deep stop algorithm. I know that the Suunto runs this algorithm in the Vytec DS model. When we dive below 100 we use this model, allows for some good off-gassing while you are still in your dive; safer ascent and shortens your required interval.

Oh yeah, the trees are an excellent dive!
:monkeydan

I've been telling my friends at Upstate SCUBA about SB for awhile. Finally one of them is on the Board. :) And possibly more and I am just oblivious... but it is good to see a local dive shop active on SB. Its also good to see a lot of local divers on here... makes me not feel so lonely. :)

Thanks for the dive report. The water temp is warming up even more from when I was out at the ramp a couple weeks ago! Thank goodness for summer time!

Caleb

I love the "old" reference to Mark and the "Strocky" reference to Randy. I will give them both fits over that. By the way, I'm older and a lot bigger than Randy, but we do have the same hair cut. He's a great instructor ,like all the Bermuda guys and gals. I wasn't giving you a hard time about the deco stop, just wanted to make sure your computer wasn't putting you in a deco obligation for a dive no deeper or longer than that. For the best results, carry a pony with a higher o2 percentage for your stops and it will be even safer. Say hello when you see me at the ramp. Who is going this weekend. I am assuming XiSkiGuy is you Jeff. How are you? Long time no see. We need to get together soon.

dolphinfan:
I am assuming XiSkiGuy is you Jeff. How are you? Long time no see. We need to get together soon.
It's me. I'm doing well. I'm probably headed down to Jocassee Thursday or Friday. Give me a shout if you've got some free time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom