Lake Geneva, WI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sauga

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

Anyone out there have any useful information such as locations, attraction, points of interest, and regulations specific to this body of water? Living relatively close, I keep meaning to dive this lake, I just never seem to get around to it. So many lakes, so little time...

John

Funny you should ask....I just dove it last night for the first time. Here's my report I just posted on WIscuba.com:'

Finally got out to this lake for the first time. I couldn't find any info on the web, nor did anyone speak up to the posts I've made here or on scubaboard. The good news is that Bob from Fontana Outdoor Sports was very helpful. He gave me a couple pointers of where to go. He said that vis is up to 50' below the thermocline...and at the dock, the water was crystal clear down maybe 8-10', so I had high hopes of great vis.

The lake has a TON of rules, so if anyone goes out there, be sure to follow them. The first rule is that every diver must be registered with the water safety patrol. It's a one-time registration, good for life, and free. Other rules are: must dive from a boat, no shore diving, boat must have a flag, tow flag with diver not required, must surface within 50' from boat, must have "spotter" in boat, no solo diving, no diving in 3 areas of the lake for most of the year. Also, the police boat has a radar gun as there is a speed limit on the lake. Something like 35MPH during the day, and 15 at night. They had a boat "pulled over" on our way back at night, as he thought it was 25MPH, so they busted him. The lake is 9 miles long, so 15 MPH can take a while to get anywhere!

There are two large shipwrecks in the lake, along with some smaller craft. The 115' Lucius Newberry went down in 65 feet of water in 1891. It burned to the water line so there isn't much left. The 93' hull of an earlier Lady of the Lake excursion boat (there's a newer one running now) rests in only 35 feet of water. It went down in 1893. We decided to go to the deeper one, at 65', hoping to be well below the theromocline and into some good vis. BTW, this is a very deep lake, with shorlines dropping off to close to 100' VERY close to shore. Some of the bottom contours seem like a 45° incline. The map I have says 135' max, but the water safety patrol website says 162'. Anyway, we dropped down the anchor line to the wreck, only to find that vis wasn't much better on the bottom than on the stirred up top, maybe like 10' and very dark. I didn't bring my big light (didn't think it was going to be necessary), but I did have my very bright backup light, which I immediately put on. So, with the bad vis, I cut the dive short and decided to move to a different spot that was recommended, a point with fish cribs and fast drop off, called Black Point.

Went to this point and found the fish crib quickly. Everyone back in the water as the sun is setting (another Geneva lake rule...no diving after sunset). TONS of fish on a 10' tall crib in 19' of water. The bottom drops off to about 90' here quickly, but we stayed above 30'. Bluegill, crappie, smallmouth bass and rock bass. Slightly deeper and below the 25' thermocline was a ton of fairly large crayfish. One diver in the group got tangled up in some fishing line...not monofilament, but the superbraid stuff. The line ended up cutting his fin, being so strong and saw-like. On the end of the line was a Mepps spinner and a recently deceased crayfish. Vis here wasn't much better, maybe 15', and the bottom was more sandy.

We had launched in Williams Bay (nice launch, $7.50), but a long haul to the shipwrecks. The lake is 9 miles long and about 1 mile wide. The water in Williams Bay seemed so clear compared to the rest of the lake. Maybe it's because it was on the North side of the lake with a North wind blowing, so it wasn't stirred up much.

Definitely would like to dive there again, but would like better vis. (Getting spoiled with this Lake Michigan stuff.)

Chad

If Lake Geneva is 160' deep, I just found a new site to practice tech dives. Can you post the link to the water safety patrol web site?

There was a previous thread regarding Lake Geneva. I did some of my early free diving there as a boy. We used to spend part of the summer on Williams Bay across from Green Gables (the Wrigley home).

I did a group dive on Geneva last fall. Vis was poor at depth, I belive we dove the Lady of the Lake, not much left of her. I did not realize all the regulations, since we were with a experienced dive master / captain.

After Sauga's comments I believe I will cross this lake off my future dive site list. Lake Michigan has better wrecks and numerous dive services. Geneva is a playground for the rich and millonaires, law enforcement is there mostly too keep outsiders (nonresidents) off the water or out of the lake, or at least discourage the peasants. Thus the excessive rules, many patrols and citations handed out like popcorn!!

"those who have the gold make the rules"

I only dove there once two years ago. It was for an ice diving course along with the Fontana fire department. They maintained the hole after we left. Really nice guys.

I may have to put this one a little lower on the list of dive sites. Most of the lakes around here have fairly poor vis, the only exception was the road trip up to Wazee Lake, where we had about 25' but that one was cold, 41 below the second thermocline. Pearl was getting down to 2'-3' at the end of July, although it somwhat improved in August. I had read that earlier post with the pictures and the 35' vis, which would almost be worth the local rule committee, but for more of the same with three times the rules to boot? I guess if you can't outlaw and activity, regulate it!

The search function is really useful !!! Here's the hot link so you don't have to type anything HERE

onbelaydave:
The search function is really useful !!! Here's the hot link so you don't have to type anything HERE

Yes, I did see your nice pictures. That's what rekindled my interest in this lake. However, based on so-so vis, coupled with unusual restrictions, I'll pass for the moment. Besides, the boat traffic will be horrendous this weekend. I'll most likely wait for later this month or the begining of next for the traffic to die down and the vis to improve. Those were some rather nice pictures though.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom