Lake Cleanup Dive - any interest?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GrierHPharmD

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just dived with a friend on Lake Norman at a site where people raft on the weekends, tying groups of party barges together, drinking and fishing, etc. I couldn't believe how much stuff there was in the water! (In a ~75 minute dive, we recovered ~12 pairs of sunglasses, an underwater camera (flooded) and 5 anchors, leaving at least 3 beach towels and probably 100 beer bottles and cans.

I was wondering if there might be any interest in doing a cleanup at a site like this some time. Planning in tentative, but if we could get a group of 10-15 divers together with a couple of surface boats for support, I bet we could have some great dives, some interesting finds, and get a boatload of garbage out of the water.

The drawback is that vis is relative low (10-15 ft). Good silt management is a must. Depths are shallow, in the 20 ffw range. Water's warm with little or no current.

What I'm thinking is that, if we have enough interest, we pick a date, get some volunteers for surface support, and just do it before the end of the season. If we have a good time, then we do something on a larger scale next spring. The Florida Conch Divers do lots of these, and they're always great opportunities for diving and socializing, plus you get a chance to do something for the underwater environment. (Again, if we have enough interest, we hook into one of the established groups, shoot some photos, weigh the junk we recover and tell folks about it. It's a nice way of gently saying that you shouldn't throw your garbage overboard.)

I'd like to set something up that can bring together several clubs and shops in the area. Pool some resources and have fun together.

Any thoughts?

Grier,

Maybe....when where you thinking and where is this location? Between the group dive on the 24th, DAN Treasure Hunt, and the Anniversery dive we are running out of dates. Please keep us/me posted (I could use a new pair of sunglasses) :wave-smil

sure, grier, if it fits in i'm there!

I may be interested. It would give me an excuse to visit family and I suspect my Uncle/dive buddy would jump at the chance to dive. I can also supply a boat to use as a dive platform if needed. The biggest problem is I don't know when I can get a weekend free.

I know what you guys mean about the date(s). We may not have time to organize anything before the weather gets cold. Note that I wrote the original post in the wee hours of the morning. And I was even sober at the time. I've looked at my own calendar since then and realize that it's not very practical to try and organize an Event in such a short time. It's nice to know that you guys are interested, though.

Here's what I'm thinking of right now. For those of you who know the lake, let's start compiling a list of potential dive sites and maybe a couple of us who live here can scope them out over the next few weeks. (And before anybody asks - yes, I always need a dive buddy and welcome you guys on any dive that I do.)

After we've narrowed it down, we can start working on logistics. I'm guessing that we need a couple of pontoon boats for surface support. The Florida guys got Publix to donate mesh produce bags for garbage. They drain easily and can be thrown away. We also used 5 gallon plastic buckets (with holes to allow them to drain) on surface lines, but the mesh bags worked better. If we can get a couple of clubs or one of the environmental groups like Ocean Watch Foundation involved, we can probably get somebody to sponsor a lunch and maybe even pay for rental boats. I'll talk to two local shops to see if somebody can donate air fills.

See, just looking at those activities makes the idea of a group cleanup a little more complicated, but still very doable. I'll start investigating the individual issues and keep everybody posted. If I can get a boat driver, I'll post my potential scouting trips here and see if you guys might like to go along.

Safe ascents,
Grier

sounds great, grier. keep us posted. and the new nc site is up!!

hey grier! if we can get planned for next year like starting around june when the weather is still nice count me in & maybe owens would like to help out along with his brother john after they get their feet wet a few more times owens may say lets do it now.

Sounds great. I'd love to see the NCDivers, the CLT Hammerheads, the Anemones and maybe a couple of the shops get together to help take care of the lake. I've got a ridiculous work schedule over the next few days, but I'll try and do some of the groundwork later this week...

-G

Hi Grier,
Great idea! I'll be more than glad to assist. Keep me posted.
Jeff

LindaBluedolphin:
Grier,

Maybe....when where you thinking and where is this location? Between the group dive on the 24th, DAN Treasure Hunt, and the Anniversery dive we are running out of dates. Please keep us/me posted (I could use a new pair of sunglasses) :wave-smil

Grier...
If it's late season or early next year, count me in. My 1st Mate status on Dive Buddy Charter is running low as the NE winds howl. Looking toward lake/qarry dives for the remainder of the season. I'm definitely interested in cleaning up the bottom...been donating lures & weights to the local marina we dock at all summer!

As Linda posted above, where in NC is the site? I presume Charlotte area?
What's the lake's reg's for Boat size/Hp Limits? Father in-law just purchased a 25' boat... might be 'borrow-able' (or steal-able...shhhhh).

Keep us posted!
-Bobby :D

Back
Top Bottom