Lake Cleanup Dive - any interest?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grier, I'd be interested in joining in if this happens next spring/summer. Like Linda, my Fall calender is full.

I know what you mean about having a full calendar. Right now, I'm surveying potential sites using maps, GPS and imput from the boating community. I hope to have a list of possible site ready before the end of the dive season. If not, we'll have to wing it a bit.

I'll make sure that you're on my contact list. Thanks for the note,
Grier

I would be interested in helping as well. Just let me know when you get some dates.

hey grier count me in, i'll talk to owens, & his brother & kim to see if they want to help as well talk to you later if not at the hammerheads
GrierHPharmD:
I just dived with a friend on Lake Norman at a site where people raft on the weekends, tying groups of party barges together, drinking and fishing, etc. I couldn't believe how much stuff there was in the water! (In a ~75 minute dive, we recovered ~12 pairs of sunglasses, an underwater camera (flooded) and 5 anchors, leaving at least 3 beach towels and probably 100 beer bottles and cans.

I was wondering if there might be any interest in doing a cleanup at a site like this some time. Planning in tentative, but if we could get a group of 10-15 divers together with a couple of surface boats for support, I bet we could have some great dives, some interesting finds, and get a boatload of garbage out of the water.

The drawback is that vis is relative low (10-15 ft). Good silt management is a must. Depths are shallow, in the 20 ffw range. Water's warm with little or no current.

What I'm thinking is that, if we have enough interest, we pick a date, get some volunteers for surface support, and just do it before the end of the season. If we have a good time, then we do something on a larger scale next spring. The Florida Conch Divers do lots of these, and they're always great opportunities for diving and socializing, plus you get a chance to do something for the underwater environment. (Again, if we have enough interest, we hook into one of the established groups, shoot some photos, weigh the junk we recover and tell folks about it. It's a nice way of gently saying that you shouldn't throw your garbage overboard.)

I'd like to set something up that can bring together several clubs and shops in the area. Pool some resources and have fun together.

Any thoughts?

I'm in. I'd be happy to ask the Anemones at the next meeting. Just let us know the date.
Thanks

Kevin

Thanks for all the great responses so far. I'll be sure to let everybody know when I've gotten a little more work done on the project.

Right now, I'm working with several groups on the lake to locate potential dive sites. Once I get a list of those, I plan to start exploring a bit to find a couple of areas where we can safely go hunting in the muck without too much boat traffic or entanglement hazards. I've got three or four potential leads that I hope to explore before the water turns cold.

Safe ascents,
Grier

make sure there's plenty of sunglass booty for all, grier!

And diamond rings and bracelets too......

I'll ask the folks at the Penninsula to be sure and drop some good stuff in the lake...

BTW, I'd like to suggest that we use the thread on www.ncdivers.com as our main thread for this event. It's listed under Dive Events. Everybody is invited...

Safe ascents,
Grier

About a year ago a bunch of us got together and cleaned up around a pier on White Lake. You wouldnt believe the stuff we pulled out of there.

Again....or I missed it...where is this other place located?? If I am in state/country I would love to participate as well.

rich

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom