Lady legends

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

art.chick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Went to the Dr. Sylvia Earle presentation at the LA Natural History Museum last night & was stricken by her contribution to the knowledge & technology of undersea exploration. I am also a fan of Dottie Frasier, the first woman dive instructor, and Zale Parry, the #1 underwater actress. Can you think of other ladies of diving that are inspirations in this historically male sport?

You've already named most of my favorites. There is also Dr. Eugenie Clark and her pioneeriing shark research.

I'm not familiar with Dottie Frasier, but the first National Instructor Program in the US was held in August 1959 in Chicago. Twenty-three people were certified as the first YMCA SCUBA Instructors. Two women were certified in that first group. They were Mary Alice Brennan and June Kieser. From the begining of the first national SCUBA agency women were teaching SCUBA.

In 1980 the YMCA SCUBA Program founded the Bernard E. Empleton Society as a living testimonial to Bernie Empleton, the founder of Y SCUBA. Individuals nominated to the society are those who best exemplify working toward development of the individual in spirit, mind and body. Two women are members of the Bernard E. Empleton Society. They are Frankie J. Wingert and June Kieser.

On July 1 1986, Frankie J. Wingert became the first female director of any major SCUBA organization in the US when she became Director of the YMCA SCUBA Program. She held this position until she retired in 1995.

Wow! That is very helpful, Walter! It's nice to hear from a man who pays attention to ladies in wetsuits for the right reasons! I am an Illinoisan by birth, so I am feeling quite proud that Chicago was the birthplace of certification programs.

Any other historians out there who can name some great scuba gals?

...forgot to mention, Dottie was the first Los Angeles County female instructor, & she taught the next 2 women who taught out here! I understand that in her 80's she's still more physically active than many teenagers!

LA County was the 1st certification agency, so I suspected that might be where Dottie taught.

There were lots of people teaching before any agencies were formed. They issued "hot" cards. I don't know if any women were teaching then, but I'd be surprised if they were not. I know one guy who issued "hot" cards, Dan Wagner. He's still teaching - mostly video these days. He was in that first class with June and Mary Alice.

BTW, in my original OW course there were two instructors - Ken Nemeth actually signed my card. I have a great deal of respect for his knowledge and teaching ability. The other instructor, Kendra Kirz, actually signed Ken's OW card. She has quit teaching, but was wonderful in the classroom, pool & OW. I try to visit her whenever I'm in Atlanta.

Great web link, Seagypsy.
I went through it to see who I 'know'.
I heard Hilary Viders PHD speak last year at DEMA. She's wonderful, beautiful, and a very dynamic speaker.
I also met Jennifer King, through our King Neptune, and was able to talk "girl talk" with her for a few minutes. She's also very dedicated to "women in scuba."
I know women that have been diving with Evelyn Dudas. I believe she is the first woman to dive the Andrea Doria.
Thanks for the link.

Evelyn is a very interesting woman. She was indeed the first woman to dive the Doria and her daughter, Suzie, was the first to dive it on a rebreather.

Walter, was it Kendra Kirz or Cheryl Kirz? I know both well Cheryl and Ken, they are very close good friends with eachother.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom