Ladies, I need your help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Im looking for gift ideas. I have a friend who is coming to visit. I have sorta known her for four years and was always attracted but was busy with other things. We recently got to know each other better and she is coming for a visit, over her Bday. Im buying her ticket and sending her through scuba class but I would like to get or do something nice for her birth day. Not a jewelry kinda girl and I don't want to dump a bunch of money into new scuba gear for her just yet. Any ideas? Thanks!

Wildcard:
Im looking for gift ideas. I have a friend who is coming to visit. I have sorta known her for four years and was always attracted but was busy with other things. We recently got to know each other better and she is coming for a visit, over her Bday. Im buying her ticket and sending her through scuba class but I would like to get or do something nice for her birth day. Not a jewelry kinda girl and I don't want to dump a bunch of money into new scuba gear for her just yet. Any ideas? Thanks!

Gee...you are already being incredibly thoughtful and generous...but here goes: will she be completing her certification while she's there? If so...I know that I was absolutely thrilled when the instructor handed me my temp. card...you get that and maybe a pic from her OW dive mounted in a little frame, with a brass plate on it, and engrave something sweet. (Brass does not count as jewellery, lol...despite the fact that some might argue :wink: ).

Or, a really nice little log book and a safety sausage (and an appropriate note on the pouch---you would have to decide what's appropriate, VBG.)

Seriously though, who would object to a cute little silver scuba tank or girl diver charm on a necklace, for "graduation/birthday"? Not too pricey and a great momento/reminder of your gift of the trip, time spent together and learning to dive.

If all this seems too much, yet...get her the most comfy looking, style appropriate, cushioned mask strap--because "you love her hair and you don't want her to get it all tangled"

Cathy

tell her to bring something nice to wear (just in case if she asks why) and then take her out to a great place for dinner. the scuba charm neclace sounds like a good idea too.

Safety sausage!? :laugh: That's gonna crack me up all day.

I cannot top that one, but here are some other suggestions to consider:
-A day at a spa (I always suggest this, because I am still waiting for someone here to get the HINT already). :)
-Some nice bath products (like Weleda shampoo, or a gift basket of Origins bath thingies, or something else that's nice like that)
-a CD that you know she will like, or one that you made yourself (always a good thing and sort of compulsory at the beginning of a romance, so get going!)
-a really gorgeous bouquet of flowers
-An appropriate book --scuba, or whatever else you might think will fit, with or without an inscription.

THINGS TO AVOID:
-Anything with a plug, such as kitchen appliances and yard implements
-ANYTHING from Frederick's of Hollywood
-A gallon-sized, economically-priced bottle of "Wicked Wahine" or other perfume, no matter HOW good you think it smells
-Deodorant
-Beer (well, I would appreciate that myself, unless it's really crummy beer, but I am speaking in general terms)

You're sweet to think about this. Good luck! :)

Some geat ideas! Safety sausage, LMAO. I wouldn't want to give her any "false hopes" though. I like the framed pic idea. I think I will expand it to a small photo album of her going through the class and a couple of dives after...

I learned long ago that ANY power tool is not a good idea. "Hey Baby, got you a suprise! A new chainsaw!" Smack!!

Im still wide open to any other great suggestions. Thanks all for your help!

Great ideas above! If she is staying at your place or even in a hotel room, leave a nice "welcome" basket with some candles, bath products from a place like Bath N' Body works, her favorite sweets, a "welcome" card and maybe a little certificate presenting a fancy evening out. Even if she isn't a girlie girlie, every woman appreciates those little comforts (oh, and if she likes gourmet coffee, include that too! That always makes my eyes light up).

OK, here are my 2 psi....

1. the music CD very good idea (but it has to be music she really, really likes)

2. I would do the book and give it to her with the charm right before she goes into the airport... kind of a surprise and will keep her thinking about the trip, and you all the way home :)

3. Find a romantic and nice place and take her for a special dinner for her birthday.... maybe a place with music and dancing as well?

4. I would not give her flowers there, but send her a special orchid or another potted plant to her home. One that will remind her of her visit with you.

No matter what you end up doing, it will be a big success. Someone who is already making this much effort and taking the time to make her trip, b'day, class, etc special will not fail.

good luck and have a great time.
cheers,
maria

if this doesn't work out you can always fly me out to hawaii and woo me. :wink:

Definitely take her out to dinner for her birthday, and not to one of those horrible restaurants that sing happy birthday and clap. :) A romantic restaurant near or on the beach would be nice. That way you two could go for a walk after dinner. At dinner you could give her the charm necklace or bracelet.

On the sly find out what her favorite flowers are. When she arrives back home you could send her the bouquet of flowers. Maybe send them to her workplace.

While she is visiting maybe go kayaking or biking. Whatever her interests are go from there. Sometimes just having a fun time with someone is worth more than a gift. Just paying for her scuba class and the plane ticket was very thoughtful.

Ok - let me get this straight...
You are flying her out
You are paying for her scuba lessons
You want to get her more....

I'm getting a divorce tomorrow (right after I let the husband know) and flying MYSELF out to YOU and I'm ALREADY certified and my birthday's not until October and you don't need to buy me anything!

What time do you want me there?
Oh and a simple card, a bottle of wine at the beach and a "glad you came" would be more than enough!

Back
Top Bottom