Labor day diving in Monterey?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll have a nice big tarp so we can stake out some grass in the middle front. I think its Joe, Kenn, and Brandon so far. Mike G and Devin, are you guys diving sat? btw. I've been out trying to hunt down one of those cool folding tables, but all the HD's in san jose only have plastic ones that dont look as sturdy as the nice metal tables Ive seen.

I picked up the plastic one and have had no problems with stability with my doubles. FWIW, the weight rating on the plastic and aluminum legs are both the same.

Thanks Robin, Michelle and Ken.

I had a great time at Metridium today. Gained some experience on surf entries and really enjoyed being buzzed by the cormorant at 50 feet.

Hope I get a chance to dive with you all again soon.

-Kevin

P.S Thanks for watching our stuff Ingrid

Thanks Robin, Michelle and Ken.

I had a great time at Metridium today. Gained some experience on surf entries and really enjoyed being buzzed by the cormorant at 50 feet.

Hope I get a chance to dive with you all again soon.

-Kevin

P.S Thanks for watching our stuff Ingrid

It was great meeting you and Ingrid! And of course, seeing and diving with Robin and Kenn again.

I really enjoyed the dive too...it was definitely good practice in the surf. :wink:

Yeah, two very good days this weekend, thanks all. I have to admit I was *this* close to calling it due to the size of the waves on the entry and exit, but I think it was well-played--we took our time, evaluated, timed, and executed. Or got really lucky. Either way, it was nice to have the sun brighten up the dives!

Aug 30 - Met Fields:

Aug 30 - Pipe:

Sept 1 - Met Fields:

PS - anyone know how to link directly to the "View High Quality" version of a video?

Cool!! Thanks for posting these.

I always wonder what I look like swimming around down there. Highlights this weekend: The shark car, brandons royal collar and body surfing exits.

I'm hating that I didnt bring my camera and catch that cormorant under water.

Thanks to everyone this weekend for some great diving and good company.

Hey guys, I had a blast diving with all of you... Here are my pics... Enjoy....

2dmf8zd.jpg

2eezshz.jpg

34ytvsx.jpg

27x02hk.jpg

34oa5w8.jpg

2vltmoo.jpg

qnla50.jpg

m94kf7.jpg

2hykhx.jpg

smbqdz.jpg

P.S
I got an incredible deal on a DUI CLX450 at Sports Chalet.... $499 with the rock boots... brand new, clearance as they will no longer will carry in stock, only as special order... It was a size Medium and I tried it on and two instructors said I was dialed in... I'm so excited about going dry, I just need help with the type of gloves from DUI, the blue ones that Brandon has or the Orange ones the Ken sported. I also need advice on the correct DUI undergarment to purchase for these cold waters... I would like something thin but with good insulation property's. And last, can someone recommend what size pockets to get added to my suit? I like the Cordura ones but I don't know anything about the size, large or medium, velcro or zipper?

Thanks

Last edited:
I just need help with the type of gloves from DUI, the blue ones that Brandon has or the Orange ones the Ken sported.

Would recommend against the DUI zip-gloves... They pretty much stay on the suit which means you can't take them off on an SI without taking the top of the suit off... Alot of people use DC or SI-Tech ring dryglove systems...

I also need advice on the correct DUI undergarment to purchase for these cold waters... I would like something thin but with good insulation property's.

Thinsulate. DUI has one (400g), but also other mfgr's have good ones.

And last, can someone recommend what size pockets to get added to my suit? I like the Cordura ones but I don't know anything about the size, large or medium, velcro or zipper?

I like the velcro ones more than the zipper. The velcro is easier to get into (and close) in a hurry. Also, it's slightly more streamlined, and as a result doesn't catch on kelp quite as often.

Hey....

Just thought I'd say... I agree with Robbert.

I have tried both and I feel very much that Rob is on the right path.

Good post Robbert.

I got an incredible deal on a DUI CLX450 at Sports Chalet.... $499 with the rock boots... brand new, clearance as they will no longer will carry in stock, only as special order... It was a size Medium and I tried it on and two instructors said I was dialed in... I'm so excited about going dry, I just need help with the type of gloves from DUI, the blue ones that Brandon has or the Orange ones the Ken sported. I also need advice on the correct DUI undergarment to purchase for these cold waters... I would like something thin but with good insulation property's. And last, can someone recommend what size pockets to get added to my suit? I like the Cordura ones but I don't know anything about the size, large or medium, velcro or zipper?

Thanks

Great pics, and nice find on the drysuit! I second what rhlee has said. For undergarments, you essentially want the absolute thickest UG of whatever brand you choose - the 400G Thinsulate from DUI, the MK3 from Whites, the Weezle Extreme Plus, etc. Robin is freaky in that he doesn't get cold in thinner undergarments, but I don't think that's the typical result :)

Note that Brandon has the DUI Zip-gloves. I got the Viking rings from Bob3 here on SB. The rings attach to the latex seals and the gloves and provide the airtight connection. If you go with a ring system, the color of the gloves is a different matter - mine are generic marine "Vinylove" gloves from Atlas - they're something like $3 a pair from Seattle Marine. They come in blue and orange. The blue ones are actually a bit thicker/sturdier than the orange, so I'd recommend going with blue if you go the ring route.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom