LA, Las Vegas, Denver, Omaha, Chicago road trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blue_leaf

New
Reaction score
hi all, first time posting here.

looking for dive site suggestions for an unpcoming cross country trip.

it'll be sometime within the next two weeks, and take me from approximately LA to Chicago, via Las Vegas, Denver and Omaha, but could modify my route for out of the ordinary dive sites.

my gear will included two hp 120s, two AL80s and a 7mm wetsuit, plus everything else and uw camera gear. i've logged about 300 dives since being certified five years ago. mostly cold so cal waters. some south pacific, PNW and FL. other certs include aow and rescue. no cave training or experience however. age 47. in shape.

just looking for a chance to do some local diving for which i'd not otherwise make vacation time. any water above 45 degF is fine.

tia, mike

Just beware of the altitude changes along that route!

Make sure you follow the "no-fly" times as driving to altitude is equivalent (or in many cases in the Rockies, worse) to flying after diving.

those three sites do seem out of the ordinary. thanks a budle.

the end points (LA and Chicago) are fixed, but the route could swing up through SLC or south through ABQ

How quickly do you read?

There is a book, I believe the author's name is Ballinger, that maps out 50 dives in 50 states. Good road reading for you, at least.

In Vegas there is Lake Mead via the Boulder City route. I would suggest finding somebody with a boat as the scuba park is pretty lame and I will only go there to fine tune gear before a big dive trip. The parks VERY silty bottom and shallow depths are the culprite. Again however if you can find somebody with a boat then there are plenty of good spots to dive at Lake Mead. Good night dives too. I am unfortunatly going through some sinus and heart conditions that is for the moment preventing me from any diving at this time, otherwise I would love to join you.

I'd by-pass Vegas for better diving at another location. Nothing really to see as the water is so low most of the cool dam stuff that was underwater is now high and dry...

Diving at Lake Powell could be good this time of year, with lower water levels and not too many people.
There is an article in a recent National Geographic, highlighting the incredible ruins and previously flooded features, which were flooded, but are now exposed due to low water levels.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom