LA county diving and training methods

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to clarify for the out-of-towners, the 3R's is given at a number of different beaches each year. Many people go to more than one session because each beach is different in terms of where to pick your entry and the underwater layout. Each session runs about 3 or 4 hours, they have coffee and donuts before and grill hot dogs and burgers for you afterwards. All of this for a "recommended" $5 donation.

JMdiver:
I think it's up to a whopping $15.

John
Not unless you want to join.

"There is a $5.00 suggested tax deductible donation to help fund the program. Fee is waived for GLACD members. GLACD membership is $15 and includes all 3R's sessions."

Firedive:
Yes, they do.

Thanks!

You know beach diving is not as hard as everyone makes it out to be. it's all about timing right? On 4th of July we had 15 divers come out to a dive/picnic we threw at Leo Carillo. We had 4'-6' surf and I don't think we had a single diver get maytagged and the dive experienced ranged from people with 500 beach dives and divers attempting their first. A group of 8 of us all exited together and (not too brag but) the life guards said it looked like a bunch of navy seals exiting the water.

I have to say when it comes to beach diving the one activity that helped me the most was my past history with surfing and most especially night surfing. You really learn how to feel what the water is going to do, which helps a lot more on exits due to lack of vision of the entire surf zone. This is something a class cannot teach you in it's entirety. Only by getting out there on a regular basis can you really master these skills, which one day I hope to accomplish and I know even with the skills I have already attained, I can benefit greatly from the LA County ADP.

I applaud Ray and the rest of the LA County instructors for their volunteer efforts to a great program and helping create better divers who are enthusiastic towards beach diving. A lot of divers try beach diving without knowledge of how to enter and exit the surf zone properly and have a negative experience. They really don't get to see how amazing it can be because they're put off to it. I know that LA County has helped tons of divers and opened their minds to beach diving. I just hope that I am fortunate enough to get into the class next summer.

If anyone is in LA/OC/VC and needs someone to beach dive with(shameless self-promotion time), we do a weekly night dive in Malibu and dive pretty much every Saturday or Sunday morning in Malibu as well. We also hold a dive/picnic once a month. Everyone is welcome!

Billy

Posted else where but approprite here...

RE; LA Co ADP

Encouraging comments--even the ones from the cornfields of southern Indiana.

The ADP was the brain child of Chuck Petersen and others in the LA Co program. The year was 1966, all the other programs; NAUI and YMCA were essentially paper tigers and PADI and the rest of the alphabet programs were many years away.

The LA Co ADP was originally developed as a year long program along the lines of the BSA merit badge system, attend a lecture and a water session have the LA Co log book stamped and after a given number of events the individual was an advanced diver.

After a few months it was discovered the ADP in original format was impossible to administer, so it was determined that it would be a summer only program in its present format. It is truly an advanced program and unquestionably the best civilian program available at that time and certainly the present time with the very abbreviated "Advanced programs" offered through out the diving world.

Yes, you will lean to use and love the snorkel in the program. You will also be required to swim which for many is unheard of in the present diving world...You will learn to identify and grow to love various types surf...
You will also be required to log every dive in the LA Co log books--the first log book produced for the civilian market...
You will love every minute of the ADP!

Sadly this program does not cover southern Indiana corn field diving

How do I know?
Along with several others I was one of the architects of the program, but Chuck Petersen was the father. (FYI you can see a young Chuck in SDM Volume 1number 1, December 1951) I also presented numerous lectures at the program; Safety considerations and planning, Emergency procedures, Preserving marine life (aka Kreepen Kreatures) Orange county diving locations and several others long forgotten.

I also was the after dinner speaker at the banquet so many years ago.

But the most memorable event was being selected numerous times as a judge for the then annual ADP sea food cook out--

sdm

more to come --later

The reference to surfing helping out beach diving skills is absolutely correct. Before the big increase in certifications, many divers had a surfing or body surfing background and therefore had a feel for judging and timing waves. Now it seems like a lot of people that take up diving have not spent (or misspent) their youth hanging out at the beach and are not comfortable dealing with waves. If they spent some time at the beach body surfing, riding boogey boards or just playing in the surf when they are not diving, I think they would become much more comfortable getting in and out of the surf zone in scuba gear.

LA County IS the fountain head of recreational diving...

It all began in 1954 with a memo by the late Al Tillman to the head if the LA Department of Parks & Rec to establish a Underwater training program. A short time later LA CO P&R sent Al, Bev Morgan & late Ramey Parks to SIO to be trained by the late Connie Limbaugh and Andy Rechnitzer.

They returned, Bev busied himself writing the first recreational instruction manual, "Underwater recreation" and selecting LA Co Life guards to present the first civilian recreational diving course. The response was so over whelming that it was determined that divers outside of the LA Co rec system would be trained to be diving instructors, Thus was formed the "Underwater Instructor Certification Course" also know as the UICC.

The first UICC in 1955 included the worlds first female UW instructor, Dottie Frazier. Dottie had been forewarned that the course was difficult and she possibly not complete the course, much to the surprise of all she did. The following years Barbara Allen, Zale Parry and Lyn Yost successfully completed UICC.

Red trunks and white Jacket were identified as the official LA county UW instructors teaching attire

In 1960 LA co produced the first UW recreational diving training film, directed by late John D Craig, starring Dottie Frazier and late Pete Manos titled "Any one for diving"

In August 1960 LA County instructors conducted first NAUI course at Houston

In late 1950s La county held first UICC graduation banquets

In 1961 published first diving instructor journal, "Underwater News"

In 1962 required two open water dives for certification

In 1962 LA County identified the Outstanding instructor of year ( first one late Flip Fleider)

In 1965 identified the individual who had made Outstanding contributions to Underwater Instruction (me)

In 1965 Underwater recreation copied in Japanese

In 1966 developed first Diving accident analysis program

In 1966 conducted first Moss back Check outs

In 1968 established first Advanced diving program (ADP)

In 1968 developed first training log

In 1968 developed first formal attire for UW instructors

So LA county ....
**was based on SIO training
**Had the first training manual
**Created "Certifications"
**Created first Underwater instructors (-Not SCUBA instructors)
**Trained the first Female instructors
**First with a uniform teaching attire
**Made the first recreational diving training film
**LA Co established NAUI
**First graduation Banquets
**First diving instructional journal
**First to require Open water experience
**First to formally recognize UW instructor contributions
**First manual in a foreign language-Japanese
**Developed first Diving accident analyses program
**First Moss Back check outs
**First ADP
**First training log
**First formal instructor attire

And theres much much more...

But in 1969 along came PADI...The first director was Nic Icorn, LA County UW instructor

sam miller:
-**First formal instructor attire

Formal attire for dive instructions? Well apparently standards have slipped. About the best I can recall is a polo shirt with the County logo on it. They must be saving the underwater coat and tails for special occasions.

Mr Carcharodon:
Formal attire for dive instructions? Well apparently standards have slipped. About the best I can recall is a polo shirt with the County logo on it...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FYI

Yes the standards have slipped --a lot in other programs but not LA Co..

In the 1960-70s under the leadership of Mr. Tom Ebro LA Co developed a line of clothes for diving, blue sweats for before or after diving, polo shirts with logos for pool wear and a blue blazer with a special LA CO Logo a special regimental neck tie.

The blazer and tie were always worn at the banquets and other occasions such as the Underwater Film festivals, etc.

In that era to be a LA County UW instructor was very prestigious --there were only a precious few who had the title. (If you got it display it!)

These items were the very first clothes items marketed and targeted diving instructors.

Another LA County first...

You apparently were a little late in the game...

Sdm

Mr Carcharodon:
Formal attire for dive instructions? Well apparently standards have slipped. About the best I can recall is a polo shirt with the County logo on it. They must be saving the underwater coat and tails for special occasions.

I've always wanted to do a 'James Bond' and do a dive wearing my formal dinner jacket under my drysuit, so I can walk out onto the beach and strip the drysuit off and be ready for action. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom