Kosher Diver!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kdiver

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to this board. My handle is kdiver which stands for Kosher Diver. This may sound new, but it means that my religous beliefs do not permit me to dive with women (other than my wife or daughters) unless they are fully clothed (which of course doesn't happen on a dive boat).
Despite the privalage of this restriction I have been fortunate to have some great reef diving almost every summer over the past 25 years, either by land dives such as Bonaire and Sinai or by going out on private (divemaster and me) trips to wonderfull sites like Bloody Bay Wall in Little Cayman.
Does anyone have any info about a reef destination where I can hook up to someone who will take me out a couple of times.
I would be much indebted.
kdiver

Welcome Kdiver!
Glad you found us!
Enjoy!

welcome aboard

Wow. I'm sorry, I'm trying to say this without being awkward and I just can't come up with the words, so I hope you will take the meaning and overlook the phrasing...

I think it's great that you are able to enjoy the sport and still stay within the bounds of your faith.

My wife qualifed for her Dive Masters in Israel during a six month tour. She has related to me the technical difficulties that must be overcome for orthodox diving. I hope your wife/daughters have the opportunity to enjoy the sport as well. This site may give some options for appropriate modest divewear if combined with a wetsuit: http://www.wholesomewear.com/page-4.html

glbirch,

I must say, your post and your signature must certainly be the most diametrically opposed combination I've ever seen on ScubaBoard :)

Scubaroo:
glbirch,

I must say, your post and your signature must certainly be the most diametrically opposed combination I've ever seen on ScubaBoard :)

Uh, yah, well... that kind of occurred to me after I clicked 'reply'. :D

Welcome Kdiver! Hope you find this board as exceptional as the rest of us know it is.

Rick

Welcome to SB!! :happywave Put us in your favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue:

I don't know anything about Kosher requirements, but one would think that some operators could reequire full skins for boarding, so as to cooperate with the needs of others of your requirements. Perahps a Kosher Dive Group...?

don
:D

KDiver,

First, let me commend you on sticking to your beliefs and finding ways to work within them. I believe strongly that one's faith doesn't limit what you can do. There are always ways of working within the "restrictions" of one's belief.

That said, I think you have found the best way. Private charters will allow you to choose who you dive with. Also, if you go somewhere like Bonaire or Curacao, you can do your own thing shore diving. I recently did a dive in Aruba with a small operator named Clive from www.DiveAruba.com, and since he only takes out six people at a time, you may find taking his boat for yourself economical. He's a great guy, and very friendly.

One other option is to start diving colder water, where full suit protection is needed. That would greatly restrict the amount of bare skin you might be exposed to.

Listen to me. I'm a newbie diver myself, so everything I've said you've probably already heard of. I just felt compelled to answer because I have respect for people who stick to their beliefs when it could be so much more convenient to forget them.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy yourself wherever you end up going.

Back
Top Bottom