Kona or California?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A 7mil one peice will be adiquate, but adding a vest over or under would help. Definately invest in thick gloves, hood and booties. That is where most of your heat loss will be.

I did the Channel Islands back in the earily '90s and I was diving just a farmer john 5 mil, but I was diving a lot back then. I was fine.

Strip down after each dive to at least your waist and dry off. That and putting on something warm will make a big difference. I always carry a boat coat (long fleece lined swimmers parka) when I dive cold water from a boat here on the west coast.

By the way, the visability is better in December and Janurary when the water is colder than it is when the warmer water excites the alge and plankton.

You can't fish the Channel Islands, marine preserve. So forgo the fishing license.

Truth Aquatics may go into a protected no fishing, no take Marine Reserve, but they will tell you.

Maybe one or two dives during the trip is in an area with no take.

Kona is _so_ much better diving than California. Warm water, thin wetsuits, low weight. Tropical fish with manta friggin rays. Being a new diver there're some differences you're less likely to get. For instance, many of the fish in HI can only be seen in HI -- for me, anyway, (I got my cert on Kona) I just saw fish rather than fish I hadn't seen anywhere else.

+1 to this. I have been to Kona several times and I dive the SoCal channel islands from time to time.

If I hadn't turned into such a www I'd pick Channel Islands diving over Hawaii, based on the diving alone.

Truth Aquatics may go into a protected no fishing, no take Marine Reserve, but they will tell you.

Maybe one or two dives during the trip is in an area with no take.

I know some of the divers are planning on some lobster hunting. The trip is not solely for hunting though.

The northern channel islands are a whole lot better with adequate thermal protection. For me that is a dry suit, dry gloves and heavy hood. There are those who dive wet there but looking around the boats I would have to say that group is down to 10-15%.

If you dive wet this is what I would anticipate the progression to be: dive 1, 50 minutes; dive 2, 35 minutes; dive 3, 30 minutes; dive 4, uh I'll sit out dive 4; dive 5 might happen, miight not. In other words the length of your dives will be limited by your cold tolerance and not by gas supply or DCS limits.

California diving is great but it does take more equipment and work to make it enjoyable.

If you dive wet this is what I would anticipate the progression to be: dive 1, 50 minutes; dive 2, 35 minutes; dive 3, 30 minutes; dive 4, uh I'll sit out dive 4; dive 5 might happen, miight not. In other words the length of your dives will be limited by your cold tolerance and not by gas supply or DCS limits.

Probably not enough time between now and 10/12 to find a dry suit that fits and get certified though. Not without paying $$$ for individual instruction.

The Channel islands are wonderful this time of the year. The water is the warmest in October. I've dived Kona once and the Channel islands at least 30 times, all boat dives. Yes - you need to invest in a 7 mil and warm gloves and booties and hood. Or you can rent for the trip. There's a Sport Chalet within a mile of the boat.

And you should make your reservation for the Conception right away. It's lobster season and every boat is PACKED this year. I'd also like to make another suggestion on a boat, the Peace Boat out of Ventura. It's not the best boat but the crew makes it the best boat on the west coast. You can check out their schedule on Peaceboat.com The service on the peace boat is like the help in a fine resteraunt. They don't bother you with helping but if you need help, they are right there to help you. It's amazing. They also have a salt water hot tub. The perfect thing to warm up your core for a nice warm sleep at night. Oh - Joe is the chef on the boat. Fantastic food. It's eat, dive, eat, dive, eat, dive, eat. dive, eat, night dive, desert and then sleep. Repeat this for 3 days.

Last edited:
And you should make your reservation for the Conception right away.

I managed to hook up with a dive shop in Boise that has half the boat reserved and a few slots open. It's lobster season and every boat is PACKED this year.

I'd also like to make another suggestion on a boat, the Peace Boat out of Ventura.

I looked at the Peace. Definitely seems like a great boat bu their schedule and my schedule don't mesh. Maybe next time.

Probably not enough time between now and 10/12 to find a dry suit that fits and get certified though. Not without paying $$$ for individual instruction.
You look young enough to do well in a wet suit. I didn't start scuba until my 50s and did okay in my 7 mil jump suit on top of my 1 mil. Tolerances vary and I used to know a woman who dive Cozumel dry in August, but I have a hunch you'll be fine. Drink only warm liquids; take two - one liter thermoses: one for hot chocolate you can keep on deck in case they don't like wet suits in the galley, and one for very warm water to pour inside your suit before and after - front and back. See if they have a young deck hand who will refill it for you between dives.
The Channel islands are wonderful this time of the year. The water is the warmest in October. I've dived Kona once and the Channel islands at least 30 times, all boat dives. Yes - you need to invest in a 7 mil and warm gloves and booties and hood. Or you can rent for the trip. There's a Sport Chalet within a mile of the boat.
I got some heavy boots a little large but wore cotton socks in Puget Sound; I soon invested in neoprene socks. :eyebrow: Nice!

Swimming thru kelp is really cool, but also nice to sit and watch what will come out when you stop moving. Your dive mates can tell you how to deal with kelp; it's easy to break and grows back quickly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom