Kona or California?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The water at Kona certainly isn't California cold but its not Bonaire warm either.

Should probably plan on a 5 mil suit there.

The water at Kona certainly isn't California cold but its not Bonaire warm either.

Should probably plan on a 5 mil suit there.
There's really no way to guess what this person should plan on.

October is close to the warmest water temps in Hawaii, end of the summer temps. I'd dive it in a 1mm (and have done the 5 a day on the Aggressor that way.) If it drops below 80 I might add a 3mm vest. Not saying that is right for this person either. Just sayin'.

Kona is _so_ much better diving than California.

I realize the OP no longer has an issue, but I just had to address this, because I totally disagree. Having dived both, I would leap at the chance to dive the Channel Islands again, but I would only go back to Kona if I had a reason other than diving to be there. To me, the diving in the Hawaiian Islands just hasn't been that big a thrill. Other than the fact that it's warm and the water is generally clear, there hasn't been that much that has grabbed me.

On the other hand, the Channel Islands are so packed with life and beauty that it's stunning. Floating through kelp forests with the sunlight slanting down, like sun rays through redwoods, except the "birds" are schools of blacksmiths and kelpfish. Rock walls covered in strawberry anemones and coralline algae, in vivid colors, and dotted with sponges and nudibranchs. Warmer sites full of pugnacious Garibaldis and schools of rockfish, and the occasional capering sea lion. I've done two three-day liveaboards there, and several single days of diving, and I have yet to tire of Southern California.

I do think the comments about not being accustomed to cold water diving are apropos, though. For me, the Channel Islands are dry suit country -- we had water in the mid 40's off San Miguel, and in the mid 50's everywhere else, and that was in June. We had two wetsuit divers on the last trip, and they had fun, but they had 25 minute dives, where most of the rest of us were enjoying an hour or more.

I realize the OP no longer has an issue, but I just had to address this, because I totally disagree. Having dived both, I would leap at the chance to dive the Channel Islands again, but I would only go back to Kona if I had a reason other than diving to be there. To me, the diving in the Hawaiian Islands just hasn't been that big a thrill. Other than the fact that it's warm and the water is generally clear, there hasn't been that much that has grabbed me.

Thank you! This is very encouraging.

I found out there is a dive shop running a trip on the boat I was looking at and gave them a call. I was able to knock a few dollars off the trip cost, get to know the trip organizer a bit, and arrange for a discount on my AOW cert. All in all a very productive and encouraging call. I still wish the boat had nitrox though :)

I do think the comments about not being accustomed to cold water diving are apropos, though. For me, the Channel Islands are dry suit country -- we had water in the mid 40's off San Miguel, and in the mid 50's everywhere else, and that was in June. We had two wetsuit divers on the last trip, and they had fun, but they had 25 minute dives, where most of the rest of us were enjoying an hour or more.

Hmm. I really don't have time or money to get a dry suit and get certified. I bought a full Pinnacle 7mm merino set from head to toe. Hopefully that will keep my teeth from rattling the reg right out of my mouth. Hopefully.

Thank you! This is very encouraging.

FTR, I have dove neither Kona or the Channel Islands however what Lynne described is exactly the reason that for me it would not even be considered. Kona would be out in a heartbeat and Channel Islands in. The fact you save a ton is a bonus. But then, that is just me. I suggest looking up some Kelp Forest dives on YouTube.....you'll likely go through the roof with excitement. Kenn here on the board has some amazing video of the kelp forests.

Hmm. I really don't have time or money to get a dry suit and get certified. I bought a full Pinnacle 7mm merino set from head to toe. Hopefully that will keep my teeth from rattling the reg right out of my mouth. Hopefully.

I am a drysuit diver but have a Pinnacle merino lined hood......coldest water this year was about 42° and my body was cooler than my head. I think you will feel the cold but if you suit acts anything like the hood.....you should likely be able to enjoy yourself. And hey, if they are only 30 minute dives, they are still 30 minutes longer than most of us will be doing at that point in time :D.

I suggest looking up some Kelp Forest dives on YouTube.....you'll likely go through the roof with excitement. Kenn here on the board has some amazing video of the kelp forests.

Will do. Thanks again.

I am a drysuit diver but have a Pinnacle merino lined hood......coldest water this year was about 42° and my body was cooler than my head. I think you will feel the cold but if you suit acts anything like the hood.....you should likely be able to enjoy yourself. And hey, if they are only 30 minute dives, they are still 30 minutes longer than most of us will be doing at that point in time :D.

I sure hope so. Pinnacle is one of the few companies that make suits in my size without assuming I am a girl. I have two skins and a 3mm from Pinnacle that I absolutely love.

Channel Islands! The Fall tends to have the most predictable weather. Lobster, abalone, scallops, sea urchins, flying fish, sea lions, harbor seals, sealife abounds.

We got our AOW on a 4 day trip out as far as San Clemente on Truth Aquatics.

7mm one piece with integrated hood. May want to talk to course instructor if it will be warm enough if Temps down to 48-50F at depth during the Fall? A shorty may help.

Would not hurt to get a second set of warmer gloves.

A travel polespear from Ray Odor. I guess this is out since out of state license is expensive.

May want to post in the California Kelp Divers section for more current info/conditions.

Will do. Thanks again.

I always welcome the ability to watch another of his videos so I went off to get you a link.....

YouTube - d5kenn's Channel is his YouTube channel and he is Gombessa on ScubaBoard. I can not tell you where a lot of his diving is (other than he is a member of Nor.Cal.) but I have seen a couple videos with the kelp forest and I was taken.....California kelp forests are a must dive for me now.

check out a few of my videos from Calif:

[vimeo]1486353[/vimeo]

all of my Calif videos are here: Scuba Diving in California, Channel Islands on Vimeo

plan on 7mm wetsuit, hooded vest, gloves, and thick booties. In fact, I usually take 2 pairs so I can let one pair dry out on alternate days. Also, take warm clothes to wear during surface intervals, sweatpants, sweatshirt, jacket... plus that is probably what you will sleep in. In California, it is bunkbeds in a common room and a shared bathroom, take earplugs as there are always snorers who can keep you awake. (Kona Aggressor is individual rooms with private baths, part of the price!)

robin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom