Kona or California?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kevindwhite

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Simple question, difficult to answer.

I have the opportunity to do a live aboard mid-October to either the upper Channel Islands in California or Kona, Hawaii. The latter would cost roughly $1,000 more in total expenses than the former. The diving on California trip would be from 10/13 to 10/16 aboard the Conception operated by Truth Aquatics. Diving on the Kona trip would be from 10/10 to 10/15 aboard the Agressor 2 operated by Agressor.

Is Kona in October worth $1000 more?

Another thing to consider. I was planning on getting my nitrox certification before leaving. The Agressor has unlimited nitrox fills for $100 more. Truth Aquatics does not offer nitrox onboard, I asked. If I go California I actually save another $345, $245 certification + $100 nitrox fills.

Is Kona in October worth $1345 more than California in October?

I am a pretty new diver with less than 24 dives under my belt, all in warm water.

$245 certification
:eek:
You should get the Nitrox card sometime anyway so that's not a real savings, but $100 is enough to spend counting everything, materials, class, card. Some shops charge some more and included dives, but even tho that was required when I did mine - I didn't gain anything from it. The first time you do dive Nitrox, just ask the DM to review the analyzing with you. $245?! WTF?

I've dived the Channel Islands some and they were great, but I have not dived Hawaii.

$245?! WTF?

PADI charges $195 for the e-learning package. The additional $50 is for a certified instructor to come in special for me since there isn't a class anywhere in my area before I head out. Not doing the Nitrox class now vs later is a savings since I won't have another opportunity to dive for at least 6 months. The price isn't likely to go up so spending the money now when I can't use the knowledge isn't a wise investment.

I wonder if you could find a $100 class the night before your Kona boat sails? Always arrive a day before sailing...!!

You could dive air on the Aggressor, so take the nitrox cert and nitrox fills out of your comparison. Your Aggressor trip would span 6 days, your Conception trip 4, so factor that in. I have dived in neither place, but I would expect the diving in Kona to be much easier. Since you have not dived much, and only in warm water, you may be better prepared for the diving in Kona.

Kona is _so_ much better diving than California. Warm water, thin wetsuits, low weight. Tropical fish with manta friggin rays. Being a new diver there're some differences you're less likely to get. For instance, many of the fish in HI can only be seen in HI -- for me, anyway, (I got my cert on Kona) I just saw fish rather than fish I hadn't seen anywhere else.

Are you including airfare in your price difference?

These are such entirely different trips they can't really be compared on price. The Kona Aggressor is certainly worth more considering what you get, I'm sure it's worth the $1000 more - whether it's worth it to you or you can afford the difference only you can decide. It's a longer trip, on a larger boat with fewer passengers, excellent food, more amenities, and cabins with ensuite baths rather than bunks and a few shared heads. It's warm water diving vs cold and very different diving - which kind of diving do you want to do?

Nitrox (ideally using a Nitrox capable computer) is a good idea on any liveaboard, even if your gas consumption isn't great yet. Do it or not, but it makes no sense for that to be part of your price comparison. It's a good class to take, then you have it when you need it. Not having the money may be a reason to skip it but not diving again for 6 months really isn't. Note that you can take the class then dive Nitrox for the rest of the week on the Aggressor for $230 total, this would probably make more sense for you than doing it before.

When you say you "have the opportunity" do do these 2 trips, what does that mean? Are they just trips run by local shops that you're looking at? Really you have the opportunity to go anyplace, and you might find that trips planned by other shops or groups not necessarily where you are, or something you plan on your own, may be a better option for you. (Or not.)

These are two completely different trips. One is warm reef diving and one is VERY cold kelp diving. I live in Southern California and dive a drysuit all year round. Dont get me wrong, the California trip would be amazing.

For me the choice comes down to two things (other than the money).
1. Do you want to dive high vizability reefs or lower vizability kelp forests?
2. Do you want to dive warm or cold water?

I called Aggressor. They only have a single birth in a quad of females available. Apparently I don't qualify.
:lol:​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom