Kona in 6 days!!!.......Is this possible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello All,
I have been reading these boards for quite some time, but this is my first post. I will be arriving in Kona, Hawaii in 6 days. I will be there for 9 days, but will only have time for about 3 days of diving. I have already booked a Manta Ray night dive with Kona Honu Divers based on a recommendation from a friend who has used them before. Here is my question: I am staying in Kohala and on one morning I have a Helicopter tour scheduled for 9:00 am. It is only the short 45 min tour of the north and west parts of the island. I am scheduled to do a 1 tank (shallow) afternoon dive at 1:30 pm with the dive op at Mauna Lani. Early the next morning I am driving to Volcano National Park via the northern route to spend the day. Is this feasible with regards to the many changes in altitude. I know there has been much debate regarding flying after diving and diving after flying. I will have about 14-15 hours between the end of my dive and the start of my trek to VNP, which seems to satisfy DAN guidelines. What do you think?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

I was just doing some reading on the flying before diving thing and best I could tell a big part was the cabin air dehydration and poor rest aspect to consider. The gist I got was that without compressing (diving) before, you don’t have the nasty bubbles yet. The Helo should be relatively low for sightseeing vs airline travel also. (I do hope someone will correct me if I’m wrong about any of this.)

If you’re doing a 1 tank you ought to be out of the water around 3 (from when I do a 1 tank boat dive out of Kona.)
Where in Kohala are you staying? Most of the hotels are on the coast but Waikoloa is at 4,806'.
The Kilauea Caldera is at 4,000’ but it will take you a couple of hours to get there. You say going to Volcano via the Northern Road? Do you mean Kohala - Hawi – Honoka’a – Hilo - Volcano Park? The biggest concern I’ve heard is the Saddle Road between Kilauea and Mauna Kea at 6,600’ and the Observatory at 13,796’.
I think the more gradual elevation gain is the South route to Volcano.

You’ll have to figure it out for yourself. I think the general recommendation is to err on the side of caution. It’s a bit vague, as everything I’ve been reading on DCS. Hawaii The Big Island Revealed says: "…the heights of our mountains simulate flying as far as your tissues are concerned…", and points out: from Kona to Place of Refuge reaches 1,400’ “probably too high if you dove deep.”
The map I’ve been looking at is Map of Hawaii The Big Island.

One little note, 4806 was the official population of Waikaloa at a recent census... the elevation is more like 440-1000 feet depending on who you read with most putting it at 1000.

I wouldn't worry about a trip to the volcano the day following a single dive if you go either the north or south routes. I generally recommend against doing it the same day just to be safe even though a lot of people do it. Staying in Kohala you'll want to do the north route unless you really enjoy long drives. I stay away from Saddle road and Mauna Kea as long as I can after a dive or two.

Have fun,

Steve

Thanks Steve,

I'm staying at the Fairmont Orchid......and yes I was referring to the route you described...not Saddle Road.

Mahalo Steve!!! Dratted map, thought it sounded high, or make that a duh I think, not the maps fault.

Waikaloa ..isn't that on the beach? I went to the Kelly Slater Invitational for Reefcheck and we were on the beach...slightly above sea level. right?

There is a village of Waikaloa that is a few miles above the coast. It has a small shopping center with a grocery, a golf course, condos and residential homes, but isn't noticed by most staying at the coast. If all the development they've tentatively got planned you'll definitley notice it in the future... extends from Waikaloa Village all the way to Puako.

Back
Top Bottom