Kona Divng

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Danf

Registered
Reaction score
I will be traveling for the first time to Kona in May. I will be diving with Kona Honu Divers. Anyone know anything good or bad about the company.

Diver Danf:
I will be traveling for the first time to Kona in May. I will be diving with Kona Honu Divers. Anyone know anything good or bad about the company.
Try posting this in the North America site/Hawaii Hana

Diver Danf:

I go just about every year and do the Manta dive. Have not heard of Kona Honu Divers. But if it is your first time Do the Manta Dive with Jacks and make sure Keller is one of the divermasters.

I use Big Island divers when i go. Smaller and personable dive operation.

Any other questions just ask.

Travelnsj:
I go just about every year and do the Manta dive. Have not heard of Kona Honu Divers. But if it is your first time Do the Manta Dive with Jacks and make sure Keller is one of the divermasters.

I use Big Island divers when i go. Smaller and personable dive operation.

Any other questions just ask.

Thanks for your help.

jedah:
You could also try Tom @ Dive Makai, also a small operator.

www.divemakai.com

J.

I heard Dive Makai is up for sale. Anyone know anything about this ?

ronrosa:
I heard Dive Makai is up for sale. Anyone know anything about this ?
I contacted them earlier this year and the owner said he was looking to retire, but was running the business as usual until he finds a buyer. There have been a number of positive reports on Steve at Wannadive Kona.

I dove with Dive Makai a couple years ago, here's what our first dive was like. We had four divers on board who had just finished their open water cert, along with my wife and I who are very experienced. The boat was manned by Mecana (sp?) and two other ladyies. Our first dive was the wreck of the naked lady, they dropped anchor and while folks were suiting up told us the following. "since we are using steel 72s when you get to 300 psi head back to the anchor line and start up" When questioned about the depth (130 ft) and the high current if that was a wise idea. Meccana said since they were steel 72s that is was more than safe. (reminder again 4 newbies, 130 ft wreck dive, in strong currents). They told my wife and I get in drop down to the bottom and wait for them. We stopped at 80 ft and could tell there was no way we were going to reach the wreck, the anchor had dragged due to the small amount of scope they had on the line. We waited for about 10 minutes then headed up, did our stop and returned on board. First thing we were met with was ...ooops we forgot about you. They had aborted due to the newbie divers having problems, and were planning on pulling anchor to head to a new site.

This is just a partial of what happened that day with them. I would never dive that outfit again nor do I want their boat ever near me ( another story).

That same trip I tried to dive with eco-adventures, but could not get past how rude they were whenever I asked a question. In the end I cancelled all my dives with eco and went to Jack's diving locker.

Jack's is a wonderful shop and I have used them many times. My only complaint with Jacks, has been one of the DM pushing me aside as I was videoíng to do his own taping that he sells.

The manta dives are a must!

scubanimal:
Jack's is a wonderful shop and I have used them many times. My only complaint with Jacks, has been one of the DM pushing me aside as I was videoíng to do his own taping that he sells.

I agree with you Jack's is a good operation. But I had a very negative experience last year. I changed out my tank after the first dive. Then went to the other end of the boat for lunch.....well someone came and changed out my tank again. About 40' down I checked my air.....big.....0....! I grabbed the Divemaster showed him my computer....and he took off to show me where the mooring line was....I grabbed his fin as i was sucking nothing and grabbed his Octo! But bottom line it was my fault for not checking my Air! Overall they are a very good operation. Just to many people on the boats. But for the first time doing the Manta Dive it is a must you do Jacks with Keller.

I have always had a very positive experience with Big Island divers. Some of the Dive masters may be a little older......but they know the dive spots!

I just completed 2 dives with Dive Makai (Last Friday and just a couple hours ago). Dove with Lisa (one of the owners) and Todd. Both very professional and provided excellent service. We had 8 divers on the boat with all different skill levels. They did a nice review of the dive site prior to each dive. They were very good about monitoring everyone's air pressure and getting you back to the boat with 500 psi left in the tank. Pace of the dive was excellent.

As a side note - I lost a camera on the first dive. They were very concerned and did everything they could to help me find it (it did not turn up - if anyone finds a Reefmaster DC310 and strobe in the Golden Arches reef near Kona, please let me know!!!)

scubanimal:
I dove with Dive Makai a couple years ago, here's what our first dive was like. We had four divers on board who had just finished their open water cert, along with my wife and I who are very experienced. The boat was manned by Mecana (sp?) and two other ladyies. Our first dive was the wreck of the naked lady, they dropped anchor and while folks were suiting up told us the following. "since we are using steel 72s when you get to 300 psi head back to the anchor line and start up" When questioned about the depth (130 ft) and the high current if that was a wise idea. Meccana said since they were steel 72s that is was more than safe. (reminder again 4 newbies, 130 ft wreck dive, in strong currents). They told my wife and I get in drop down to the bottom and wait for them. We stopped at 80 ft and could tell there was no way we were going to reach the wreck, the anchor had dragged due to the small amount of scope they had on the line. We waited for about 10 minutes then headed up, did our stop and returned on board. First thing we were met with was ...ooops we forgot about you. They had aborted due to the newbie divers having problems, and were planning on pulling anchor to head to a new site.

This is just a partial of what happened that day with them. I would never dive that outfit again nor do I want their boat ever near me ( another story).

That same trip I tried to dive with eco-adventures, but could not get past how rude they were whenever I asked a question. In the end I cancelled all my dives with eco and went to Jack's diving locker.

Back
Top Bottom