Kona dive op recommendations.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brewski

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Alaska / Florida / In the air between the two.
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My wife and I will be making our first visit to Kona in September.
We want to dive naturally.
I will be sporting my new dome port and fisheye lens so I hope to see some Manta's.
Who do you recommend that will satisfy experienced divers both site seeing and for photos.

Mantas are a fair likelihood, we saw them 3 times during the day this week (gotta admit, that might be more frequently than usual), a manta and dolphins swam by our safety stop on today's 2nd dive, and the manta dive (although not guaranteed) has been hopping and usually holds steady summer through fall most years.

Lots of good operators in Kona. You might want to decide if you want to go out on a bigger boat or a smaller boat and start from there. Have fun.

I have been out with Steve, he did a nice job, good planning and safety briefings leading to good dives. He runs a smaller boat, six max, which I like for personal attention. We did the Manta dive with him a couple months back.

I usually dive further north, charting the boat from Blue Wilderness, going north of Kawaihae. Denise also runs a nice operation, with a smaller boat out of the launches at Puako and Kawaihae.

Friends of mine dive with Jack's Dive Locker, with no complaints. Same with Kohala Divers, bringing back stories of good dives to share.

Boat dives are treats, we go out a few times a year. Mostly we shore dive, the reefs on the Kona side are close to shore and accessible with surprisingly short swims wherever there are convenient access points.

Hi: I've been diving with Steve for many years - 2010 did 11 dives with him. I recommend his dive operation above all else. Six pack, not crowded, great dive guides - What else can I say except already have a month booked for 2011.

My wife and I will be making our first visit to Kona in September.
We want to dive naturally.
I will be sporting my new dome port and fisheye lens so I hope to see some Manta's.
Who do you recommend that will satisfy experienced divers both site seeing and for photos.

Our last 2 trips there we dove with Big Island Divers. Great operation, staff, and Captain Jim will give you a warm shower after the dive and condition your hair! Wife loved him.

Big Island Divers Diving Scuba Snorkel Kona Hawaii Manta Ray Black water pelagic magic dive

If my wife dove, I'd be concerned if she were having a boat captain named Jim giving her showers and conditioning her hair. No wonder she loves him. :)

Back
Top Bottom