Komodo or Utila for dive masters course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Emski

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on where may be better to do my divemasters? I'm currently looking at either Utila dive centre in Honduras which looks to have a pretty incredible reputation as professional and knowledgeable. I'd also love to do Komodo though and Scuba Junkie offers a couple of liveaboard trips within the course which is highly appealing. Does anyone know much about either of these centres? Or have any recommendations of others that may be better. I'm obviously wanting amazing diving, but also a centre that is professional and can offer excellent skills training within a variety of diving conditions. I'm looking at doing an internship as I want to gain the most experience possible, not just pump out the certification. Any advice/recommendations would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance xx

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on where may be better to do my divemasters? I'm currently looking at either Utila dive centre in Honduras which looks to have a pretty incredible reputation as professional and knowledgeable. I'd also love to do Komodo though and Scuba Junkie offers a couple of liveaboard trips within the course which is highly appealing. Does anyone know much about either of these centres? Or have any recommendations of others that may be better. I'm obviously wanting amazing diving, but also a centre that is professional and can offer excellent skills training within a variety of diving conditions. I'm looking at doing an internship as I want to gain the most experience possible, not just pump out the certification. Any advice/recommendations would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance xx

UDC definitely has the reputation but the diving is much better at Komodo. I'm in australia at the moment actually and I'm considering SJ komodo as well for my DM in June. I'm between komodo and sipidan, both with Scuba Junkies. From what I've read they seem to have a great reputation. As of now I'm leaning towards Sipidan as I'm worried much of the diving at SJ Komodo won't actually take place in Komodo national park. SJ Sipidan has the option of staying directly on Mabul while only being a 20 minute boat ride from Sipidan. Both islands seem fantastic but Sipidan only allows 120 permits a day.

I would lean to the Komodo side... Learning to take of people in strong currents will hold you in good stead. And you will enjoy some fantastic diving along the way. The managers at Scuba Junkie Komodo are very experienced, and you will have a great learning experience there...

For diving Komodo over Utila...Komodo over Mabul. As DMT in SJ Mabul you will never dive Sipadan unless you do it as a regular guest. Mabul is good diving but Komodo is better IMHO.
All of SJs dives will be in the park except their housereef. Their DMT program is excellent preparing you to work as a DM or going further in the proffesion. I've not done their program but over more than 20 days of diving with them over 2 trips I've seen them teaching on the boat and it's very professional and geared to make a great DM out of you.

Can y
For diving Komodo over Utila...Komodo over Mabul. As DMT in SJ Mabul you will never dive Sipadan unless you do it as a regular guest. Mabul is good diving but Komodo is better IMHO.
All of SJs dives will be in the park except their housereef. Their DMT program is excellent preparing you to work as a DM or going further in the proffesion. I've not done their program but over more than 20 days of diving with them over 2 trips I've seen them teaching on the boat and it's very professional and geared to make a great DM out of you.

How do you know that the majority of the diving in the DM program actually takes place in the park?

The DMTs go out on the same boat as regular customers. The resort is located just outside of the central area of the park. They dive central the most with some trips to some northern sites and some to Padar area. I've dived with them 24 days over 2 trips.

The DMTs go out on the same boat as regular customers. The resort is located just outside of the central area of the park. They dive central the most with some trips to some northern sites and some to Padar area. I've dived with them 24 days over 2 trips.

Great to know thanks

Last edited:
1. Komodo is a lot closer to OZ than Honduras.
2. SJ only runs day boat so the selection of the sites could be limited and if the clients are inexperienced then the selection is even more limited.
3. Dive Review Of Komodo

Last edited:
I am looking at DMT/IDC options around Indonesia. Any experience on what the life is like and accomodations options on Komodo?

Back
Top Bottom