Komodo or Utila for dive masters course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where do you plan on working as a DM? My opinion you should train where you are going to work if you are doing DM just for the experience and are not going to work as a DM then spend the money and going diving.

Where do you plan on working as a DM? My opinion you should train where you are going to work if you are doing DM just for the experience and are not going to work as a DM then spend the money and going diving.

I don't buy this. Where else can you get as many as 60 dives in a world class location for 1500 US? The liveaboards in that area are twice as much with a fraction of the dives.

A DM is totally worth it even for just the experience and the shear amount of dives you can get out of it.

I don't buy this. Where else can you get as many as 60 dives in a world class location for 1500 US? The liveaboards in that area are twice as much with a fraction of the dives.

A DM is totally worth it even for just the experience and the shear amount of dives you can get out of it.

So you're going to do your DM to get a cheap trip got it. You will never convince me that doing your training in warm clear water with some current prepares you to work in an area were there is low vis cold water with surge and kelp. I did all my training here in California but in no way feel that prepares me to DM in NJ or Florida or anywhere else in the world without some further training in those areas. The shops I work with will not hire a DM or Instructor that was not trained or dive regularly in our local waters without working some classes with another Instructor to get checked out.

On days when as a DMT you're lucky enough to go out on one of the boats rather than stay behind and work/study, you'll visit the same sites over and over, you'll be assisting customers, helping with boat stuff, etc., which for some might detract from the enjoyment. If I recall, DMTs 10-15 years ago when I was in Utila probably averaged out at around USD 10 per dive over the course of their DM program. That's cheap, but they got what they paid for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom