Question Where to go for Dive Master Training / Experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
lucagerresheim
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Everyone!
I'm looking for some advise / recommendations for places to do my DM this August / September. I have around 4-6 weeks time and alongside quality education, I'm really looking for a place with a great social factor, as I'm not very extroverted and usually struggle to make finds when traveling solo as a female. My top candidates so far are Utila Dive Centre and Scuba Junkies in Komodo, but I'd like to have more options, esp. considering the UDC programme is really expensive (as food + accomodation is not included), as is the flight to Komodo. I've also been diving in Dahab and really liked the vibe, so if anyone can recommend a specific dive base there for the DM, that would be great too!
I know there are similar threads about this already but the answers to those usually revolve around why even do the DM to begin with. I am really just looking for some advise as to *where* to do it, and not *if* :))

Cheers guys!!
Luca

Two places that I have used and respect:

• Dive Down Below in Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia on Borneo. They have an international clientele and a campsite often full of university students.
  • Sinai Divers in Aqaba, Jordan. They have a German clientele and are always looking for German speakers.

Hi Luca,

August/September is just around the corner now but just in case you're still deciding, here's my personal (and dated) UTC experience.

I went to Utila to do my DMT at UDC. That was 7 years ago, so there may well have been lots of change since then, even ignoring covid. It was definitely a young crowd and party atmosphere - both UDC and the island's scuba crowd in general. It may be what you're looking for. On the other hand, think American spring break party atmosphere, not necessarliy the most inclusive kind of "sociable" for a quieter more reflective personality.

UDC was a high volume operation, and if it hasn't changed I wouldn't count on much opportunity to practice or improve your skills, so not "quality education" in my opinion. Of course the actual experience depends so much on the individual instructors, and I see from a quick look at their website just now that there's been an almost complete turnover in staff. So my perspective might not be very relevant.

Utila itself was friendly and a great place to hang out. I'm definitely not trying to convince you to avoid the island, or UDC. But i would suggest you correspond directly with the current course director and get as much information as you feel you need to make a decision that's right for you. In fact that goes for any shop on your short-list.

Whatever and wherever you decide, good luck and hope you have lots of fun.

Hi Everyone!
I'm looking for some advise / recommendations for places to do my DM this August / September. I have around 4-6 weeks time and alongside quality education, I'm really looking for a place with a great social factor, as I'm not very extroverted and usually struggle to make finds when traveling solo as a female. My top candidates so far are Utila Dive Centre and Scuba Junkies in Komodo, but I'd like to have more options, esp. considering the UDC programme is really expensive (as food + accomodation is not included), as is the flight to Komodo. I've also been diving in Dahab and really liked the vibe, so if anyone can recommend a specific dive base there for the DM, that would be great too!
I know there are similar threads about this already but the answers to those usually revolve around why even do the DM to begin with. I am really just looking for some advise as to *where* to do it, and not *if* :))

Cheers guys!!
Luca
Did you end up making a decision on where to go? I am in a similar boat for next year when I plan to do my Divemaster in February. I have been looking at Utila.

Did you end up making a decision on where to go? I am in a similar boat for next year when I plan to do my Divemaster in February. I have been looking at Utila.
This is a few months old, but here goes...
I am doing my Rescue training out of UDC next month -- I had read great remarks about them and how they focus on students etc. However, the above posts make me wonder if the DM training (which I plan to get in 2023) would be worthwhile there at UDC.
I am in a different boat (no pun intended, well, maybe a bit); I am 54 and retire in six years. My goal is to teach diving and dive in retirement while living in the Caribbean. I know others here in my area that are also doing the same thing (I live in a very fit city) once they retire in a few years as well. So the party atmosphere is not what I am interested in -- friends, divers, etc sure. But I also want a serious course.
I was OW certified this year, but was a prior lifeguard (really guard, not the pool guards today) and still a very strong swimmer. My skills match most of those that have been diving for years (per the instructors and other divers I have dove with). In less than six months I will have about 100 dives, and have my 5 specialties plus AOW and deep. Also have CPR and combat life-saving first aid (slightly more advanced first aid).

Anyone have thoughts?

Patrick, Luca? What did y'all decide?

Du
This is a few months old, but here goes...
I am doing my Rescue training out of UDC next month -- I had read great remarks about them and how they focus on students etc. However, the above posts make me wonder if the DM training (which I plan to get in 2023) would be worthwhile there at UDC.
I am in a different boat (no pun intended, well, maybe a bit); I am 54 and retire in six years. My goal is to teach diving and dive in retirement while living in the Caribbean. I know others here in my area that are also doing the same thing (I live in a very fit city) once they retire in a few years as well. So the party atmosphere is not what I am interested in -- friends, divers, etc sure. But I also want a serious course.
I was OW certified this year, but was a prior lifeguard (really guard, not the pool guards today) and still a very strong swimmer. My skills match most of those that have been diving for years (per the instructors and other divers I have dove with). In less than six months I will have about 100 dives, and have my 5 specialties plus AOW and deep. Also have CPR and combat life-saving first aid (slightly more advanced first aid).

Anyone have thoughts?

Patrick, Luca? What did y'all decide?
Due to current work commitments, I won't be able to do anything until March now. I have also decided that South East Asia will be hugely more accessible for me being from Australia. I got certified on Koh Tao in 2018 and will probably head back there to do my dives masters and eventually my instructors course. I will probably make a stop at Gili T for some diving with a mate on that same trip.

I guess people would compare Koh Tao to Utila in some ways with the party atmosphere etc. but it really is a beautiful place and can be very relaxing outside of that lifestyle.

Good luck with what you decide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom