Komodo National Park temporary closure and for deep pockets only

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's most likely the governors opening play in getting more $ (actually rupees) in his pockets, and also in the upcoming election.
I would proceed with your plans.

This governor is out of his mind if he thinks people will be willing to pay $500 US dollars each to step on the island to see the dragons hanging around the kitchen looking for a meal. I was there this past November and the trip to visit the dragons was part of the liveaboard experience (extra fee of course) and even at the current price I wouldn't pay to do it again. He also wants to charge all recreational boats entering the park $50,000 for a permit---now I don't know if this was for a annual permit or on a per trip basis. If these charges are implemented the town of Labuan Bajo would dry up and blow away. No more day trip boats, no more budget liveaboard trips and no more inexpensive trips just to visit the dragons. The town caters to a lot of budget backpackers looking for inexpensive dive trips into the park---you will kiss that goodbye. He also wants to halt all construction of any budget hotels in the town. If these plans go through they won't have need for any hotels because no one will come there to stay in them. They already raised the entrance fees to the park for all divers or snorkelers this past year (notified to me after I had booked and paid for my trip) and I'm sure people reading these news articles are already cancelling plans for their trips to Komodo.

I think the point is they don’t want budget travelers.

I think the point is they don’t want budget travelers.

The travelers I met there last month included a Professor, a journalist, a Director of an Art gallery and me (previously an advisor on the environment to three EU governments), we're hardly budget travelers just not part of the super rich.

The travelers I met there last month included a Professor, a journalist, a Director of an Art gallery and me (previously an advisor on the environment to three EU governments), we're hardly budget travelers just not part of the super rich.
Perhaps you are the client the government wants.

I’m not trying to be a butthole, although it comes naturally. In Key West, we get cruise shippers, drive downers, flyers, and private yachters. The cruise shippers come by the thousands and spend $20 a day. It goes directly to the government as a landing fee. The drivers are weekenders. They spend an average of $500 for a weekend, all at vendors in town, hotels, restaurants, fishing charters. The flyers spend a week and an average of $2,000 each, again with the local vendors. The yachties spend a fortune.

Guess who we’d rather have?

This governor is out of his mind if he thinks people will be willing to pay $500 US dollars each to step on the island to see the dragons hanging around the kitchen looking for a meal. I was there this past November and the trip to visit the dragons was part of the liveaboard experience (extra fee of course) and even at the current price I wouldn't pay to do it again. He also wants to charge all recreational boats entering the park $50,000 for a permit---now I don't know if this was for a annual permit or on a per trip basis. If these charges are implemented the town of Labuan Bajo would dry up and blow away. No more day trip boats, no more budget liveaboard trips and no more inexpensive trips just to visit the dragons. The town caters to a lot of budget backpackers looking for inexpensive dive trips into the park---you will kiss that goodbye. He also wants to halt all construction of any budget hotels in the town. If these plans go through they won't have need for any hotels because no one will come there to stay in them. They already raised the entrance fees to the park for all divers or snorkelers this past year (notified to me after I had booked and paid for my trip) and I'm sure people reading these news articles are already cancelling plans for their trips to Komodo.

Those quoted fees ($500 and $50,000 US) are the Minimum fees and could well be even higher according to the article. Honestly I really don't have a dog in this fight as I personally never expect to visit that part of the world anyway due to the extreme, ever increasing, over pricing. Regardless of the state of the economy, live-aboard prices there seem to increase annually $200-$300 regardless of their already stratospheric/elite pricing and they remain constantly booked solid 2-3 years out regardless of their already ridiculous overpricing so clearly they don't need to rely on my demographic type. In a market economy I can't blame them for squeezing their cash cow to the max and those who can afford to go there now can Easily afford a $500 park fee, it's a rounding error $ amt given the overall trip expense.

I'm just jealous I can't charge the neighbors $ 500 to come look at the squirrels in my front yard.

If you can afford just the flight from UK to Komodo, much less the actual trip itself, you are reasonably well off.

If Komodo get's away with this then I'd imagine, Raja Ampat and other Indo regions going the same route.

I'm a tad torn with this though, yes the $$'s are super steep and would discourage me from going for sure!!! But...how else do you discourage people from coming??
You could do what Sipadan does and issue a limited no's of permits.....but man that is painful!!

Clearly there are too many people visiting the place and the environment is taking a beating....so what else would you suggest?
At least the Indo gov is doing something....whether it is the right thing is debatable...but at least it is action.

My HUGE concern though is that only a small portion of the extra $$'s will be spent on the park...the rest will line a few pockets!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom