Komodo National Park temporary closure and for deep pockets only

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What was it before the increase?

200EUR is still reasonable/acceptable/bearable. 500USD is not IMHO.

I sent the boat an email overnight and they clarified this morning that this is actually only a 50EUR increase from the current 150EUR charge. So that is realistically not an issue.

Glad I went there when it was relatively quiet and we were the only liveaboard on sight most of the time, back in 2008, 2012 & 2013. I was thinking of going back again in 2022, but nah. There are much more interesting dive destinations than Komodo.

That new $500 fee, if it would be ever come through, would be more than what Costa Rica has been changing us ($490 / diver).

There are much more interesting dive destinations than Komodo.

Is that because you're already been, because diving is better for you elsewhere or some other reason? I ask because if I'm ever blessed to take a dive trip to Indonesia, it'll probably be a one time bucket list thing. Komodo is at the top of my contender list for now.

Richard.

Is that because you're already been, because diving is better for you elsewhere or some other reason? I ask because if I'm ever blessed to take a dive trip to Indonesia, it'll probably be a one time bucket list thing. Komodo is at the top of my contender list for now.

Richard.

For Indonesia diving destination, I have been to Komodo 3x & Raja Ampat 7x. Why do you think that is?

For other diving destination than Indonesia, I consider Palau & Galápagos to be better than Komodo. If you like to see big fish, sharks & mantas, then Cocos & Socorro are the places to go.

For Indonesia diving destination, I have been to Komodo 3x & Raja Ampat 7x. Why do you think that is?

For other diving destination than Indonesia, I consider Palau & Galápagos to be better than Komodo. If you like to see big fish, sharks & mantas, then Cocos & Socorro are the places to go.
That's apples and pears Dan, you can't compare Galapagos to Komodo it's just like saying you prefer Truk wrecks to Lembeh critters.
If big things in blue water is your fun then Galapagos, Cocos or elsewhere may be your stuff, if biodiversity colors and amazing coral life is more of your liking then Komodo smokes anywhere else hands down except Raja Ampat.
For example, Palau is for me just americanized and regimented diving.
We had the same discussion with Maldives which i consider is total overrated crap, ploughed with herds of european midmarket divers and bleached to death with recent El Nino episodes.

After 19 dive trips in Indonesia ("why do you think that is?"), I would still go anytime to R4, Komodo or Alor BUT with the appropriate operator, my first experiences with Komodo in 2010 an 2013 were a total disaster because of the operator, Ifound a dive centre whch fitted my kind of diving a few years ago, I loooove Komodo now.
As well as I would have hated Alor on a liveaboard for instance, but with a good resort it's a whole different experience.

That's apples and pears Dan, you can't compare Galapagos to Komodo it's just like saying you prefer Truk wrecks to Lembeh critters.
If big things in blue water is your fun then Galapagos, Cocos or elsewhere may be your stuff, if biodiversity colors and amazing coral life is more of your liking then Komodo smokes anywhere else hands down except Raja Ampat.
We had the same discussion with Maldives which i consider is total overrated crap, ploughed with herds of european midmarket divers and bleached to death with recent El Nino episodes.

After 19 dive trips in Indonesia ("why do you think that is?"), I would still go anytime to R4, Komodo or Alor BUT with the appropriate operator, my first experiences with Komodo in 2010 an 2013 were a total disaster because of the operator, Ifound a dive centre whch fitted my kind of diving a few years ago, I loooove Komodo now.
As well as I would have hated Alor on a liveaboard for instance, but with a good resort it's a whole different experience.
Which dive center do you use now and which ones didn’t you like?

Which dive center do you use now and which ones didn’t you like?

I am a demanding diver because I am a photographer and usually ask and pay for a private guide that is not there to nanny me but to go/see a little further than when i am inside a group of divers. So may be these operations would fit for someone else, but not for me, reversely the one i like may not be everyone's choice.
I was very disappointed with Angel isle's reefseekers which for me is not dedicated enough to diving. (Reefseekers manager own words when I was pointing the lack of dive guides/instructors and that she could help : "I have more important things to do than diving with customers"... duh...)
I wasn't happy with Blue Marlin services because they tend to cater and favor backpack fundivers without any care to special requests though likes them to be paid. (they assigned me a gringo who didn't know anything about critters while we had agreed and I paid months before for an experienced spotter.)
Dragon Dive understood my needs, they went beyond what I even expected, hence I had 2 very good trips with them.

Ya, my interest is kind of evolving. I started with enjoying muck diving. Now I’m more into seeing big fish. Komodo falls short to Palau & Galápagos in that category. I’m just telling to anyone who is seeking for diving with big fish in Komodo, prepare for a disappointment in comparison to Palau or Galápagos.

Once $500 park fee is enacted, then you’ll have more fun & quiet time in Komodo. I’ll be going elsewhere. :D

If I go half around the world to see pretty corals & amazing critters, then I’d skip Komodo and go for the ultimate biodiversity destination, i.e., Raja Ampat (RA). I’ll be in RA again for the 8th time in January 2020. :)

You also know that I’ll be back to Indonesia this September for Ring of Fire (ROF) trip, which include Alor, Banda Sea & Ambon, as posted here: Ring of Fire September 9-19, 2019. So, Indonesian diving destination is still high on my list. :)

BTW, one of my buddy won’t be able to make it to the ROF trip. So, I have a spot available if anyone is interested.

Reactions: Jay
Now I’m more into seeing big fish. Komodo falls short to Palau & Galápagos in that category. I’m just telling to anyone who is seeking for diving with big fish in Komodo, prepare for a disappointment in comparison to Palau or Galápagos.

Once $500 park fee is enacted, then you’ll have more fun & quiet time in Komodo. I’ll be going elsewhere. :D

If I go half around the world to see pretty corals & amazing critters, then I’d skip Komodo and go for the ultimate biodiversity destination, i.e., Raja Ampat (RA). I’ll be in RA again for the 8th time in January 2020. :)
I don't think anyone is going to Komodo for "big fish" but more for loads of reef fish, extraordinary corals and biodiversity, so R4 is more comparable to Komodo than Galapagos. Personally as a photographer, while R4 is phenomenal for fish density, i find it weak in terms of macro, while Sangeang/Komodo has better macro dives than R4.

Also I might be wrong but I don't believe a 500USD fee on Komodo NP will ever be levied and maintained for the next years. That would be very contradictory with the new chinese/korean resorts that have been/are currently built these 3 past years.
Sounds to me like Garuda who canceled their dive checkin luggage allowance a few years ago, when they saw everybody going to Lion Air, they re-established the allowance the year after.
Another way of not paying the fee would be diving the West side, outside Komodo NP :D

I don't think anyone is going to Komodo for "big fish" but more for loads of reef fish, extraordinary corals and biodiversity, so R4 is more comparable to Komodo than Galapagos. Personally as a photographer, while R4 is phenomenal for fish density, i find it weak in terms of macro, while Sangeang/Komodo has better macro dives than R4.
This is right on... if anyone is going to Komodo for big stuff they have been misinformed. That being said... I have seen more Mantas in one spot( 30+) in Komodo than any other place I have been so there is an opportunity. The macro in Sangeang and Komodo (you can add Bima bay too) is top with critters you just don't see in too many other places. Last year we did a muck trip where we only dove Komodo muck sites, Sangeang and Bima. One of the best trips yet!!! It is funny Luko... I am opposite of you on Alor. I wouldn't want to do it from a resort. Alor is so big and diverse. I love all of it! Maybe I would compromise and do both in one trip...:D

I also couldn't stand Palau... and the second time I went there just reinforced it. I would take Fakarava/ Rangiroa or Socorro over Palau any day!

Back
Top Bottom