Komodo Currents for Novice Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW, all the dives I did in Belize were 'drift' dives. boat dropped us off in open water, we dove to 80' or so, worked our way across the reef while slowly ascending, stopped for safety stop in open water, and surfaced and were picked up by the boat far from where we started. there was never an anchored boat, or lines in the water. this all seemed very comfortable.

it wasnt rockin' current though, and that seems to be a big part of the equation in Bali/Komodo.

I have 3 trips in Coz. Only 1 dive in 3 trips anchored. Every other dive picked us up way the hell off where we dropped and had significant, in some cases very strong, currents. Pretty much every person I know who dives Coz describes it as drift diving. What is your definition?

Some of the dives in Cozumel are drift dives. Some are not. I have personally never dived anywhere that is "all drift, all current, all the time." Maybe when I was there the currents took the week off, or the dark side of the moon was showing, or the Coriolis effect was running backward ... I don't know. You've got your story, I've got mine.

Please refer to the first line of my signature below.

I was in Komodo on Black Manta in June. I'm relatively experienced but my buddy had less than 20 logged dives (including the largely worthless AOW cert).

There were a couple of dives with raging current - Castle Rock - a couple with strong but manageable current - Batu Bolong, Manta Alley - and some wild drift dives - Sambal, Shotgun, Mantas on the Moon. But 10 of the 16 dives had negligible current. We also had water temps of 28+, so maybe we were lucky, maybe the crew were very good at judging when to dive (they were very good at everything else), maybe it was the time of the month/moon phase?

What I'm trying to say I guess is that Komodo doesn't necessarily always mean raging currents, though it certainly has that reputation.

Currents in Komodo can be strong and from time to time, unpredictable. This is why it's so very very important to dive with experienced guides! Talk to you dm or instructor and tell them your concerns.
There are several sites that require negative entry straight to the bottom where the current is mildest. Having ear problems will suspend you in midwater and basically push you off the divesite if the currents are strong enough. Other divesites, like the famous Batu Bolong, are pinnacles with sudden and strong down currents at the sides. If you are not paying attention, these can blow you off and down in seconds. And several more site are simple drifts that can be relaxed and easy to wild and crazy rides.
Factors such as cycle of the moon and tides decide the intensity and predictability of currents, and an experienced guide nows how to read all the signs. A good guide will give thorough briefings on how to work with the current and what to do in case of emergency.
when diving in Komodo dive with a reputable operator! Do NOT choose the cheapest operator! Discuss your concerns with the guide to plan an appropriate dive plan for you. It's quite easy to do dives without current. That said, the current dives are the best dives :) Komodo is famous for big stuff and big stuff usually like big current.
I would not recommend a reef hook until you know how to properly use it. Get training and be sure youre with a group all using hooks. Otherwise you may end up hooking onto corals or inadequate substrate, losing buddies who didnt hook, or worse case, hooking in too strong of current and getting stuck.
I would definitely recommend lob. This allows you to start off easy and work your way up to more serious diving. Your dm will get to know you better and give advice along the way.

Ive done just over 50 dives in komodo , different and same sites at different times, and different times of the moon cycle and time of year. Id say Ive had zero current dives to mild - strong drifts to dives where youre just blown sideways at what felt like 100 kmh winds to crazy downcurrents. Of course I understand that one could plan to dive mostly non currenty sites which there are plenty of in komodo, or just plan dive at slack and hope for a late rising or falling tide depending on time of day. But the saying is no current no big fish, certainly no manta.

We had a guest diving with us on the last trip she was slightly older but done lots of tropical diving but mainly easy destinations. This was her first komodo trip. We dived the full moon cycle. Had quite a large variety of diving conditions from cold green to blue warm water, lets just say on a few wild rides she was scared, but came out in one piece but not every dive was hard, some were easy drifts. We had discussed the contingencies of strong current diving, what to do and what not to do in different situations, and keep close to your guide. At the end of the trip I have no doubt this experience has made her a more aware current diver. Because without this exposure one cant build experience. If you are a novice but at least comfortable with your setup and diving config, the best way to learn is to do it. If you love big fish schools and pelagic action then you will see the best in current. If you like easy predictable diving, then of course dont bother. But if you do choose to experience the real komodo in its true wilderness then go for it. Just make sure you choose well which operation you dive with as thats important..

I was weighing up where to go next year and reading this has made up my mind - leave Indonesia (specifically liveaboard in Komodo) for 2015 when I have a few more dives under my belt. It's been great to read all the advice. Thank you all :0)

Hi folks, I am new to the forum but everyone seems knowledgable so I hope to jump in and ask a question. I will be traveling form Manila in Feb and want to dive some sites in Indonesia, Komodo interests me the most. I have a week. Logistically, does this make sense or will I be wasting too much time in travel? If the answer is yes where would you recommend? Thanks for you help. Peter

Full-disclosure, I have only have about have about 30 or so dives in southern and northern Komodo. Although many beginner divers have a great time at Komodo, I would not recommend it for inexperienced divers. As discussed (gee13 and many others), Komodo has fast and sometimes unpredictable currents with some challenging diving - current = great fish! The region is also remote, far from medical help. In my limited experience, the best season is during the SE monsoon, May-early October. During this season, you will more likely be able to dive in southern Komodo with better conditions (less wind and better viz). If you are set on Indonesia, consider going to Bali, off-season or better yet Raja Ampat. Cheers.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom