Komodo Currents for Novice Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mepchid

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi All,
I'll be visiting Indonesia at the end of October this year and consider to visit Komodo as well.

I am not that experienced diver, logged only 38 (and my Buddy has 75 something I guess)
I've been diving in Bali (was ok), Bunaken and Raja Ampat and found it amazing at both of those areas.
There were some currents but not as scary as what I heard of Komodo.

The thing is, except I had no problem with Drifts and mediocre Currents (as in Raja Ampat) but I didn't really feel comfortable/safe during the dives. I had to stop 1 dive in Raja Ampat as the currents exhausted me. Enjoyed it though at the end, but it always scares me a bit.

Do you guys think it's worth it to give a try?
If yes, would the option of LOB better than Resorts? (Got some offers from Mona Lisa/Mermaid and Komodo Resorts)

Thank You
JoS

Current exhaust only if you try to swim against it. So try not to, which has to do with planning. And bring good fins if you have to do that a little anyway, which means no split fins..
But normally, just go with the flow. Bring a hook so you can keep yourself in one place if you want that for photo/video.
Almost always on the bottom, there is less current, so if it getting heavier to swim against some current, just go down to the last 1 m above the bottom and it will be somewhat less.
Drift diving is fun :)

And bring good fins if you have to do that a little anyway, which means no split fins.

This is an inaccurate generalization. Split fin efficiency varies greatly from one to another.

---------- Post added August 20th, 2013 at 05:03 AM ----------

Almost always on the bottom, there is less current, so if it getting heavier to swim against some current, just go down to the last 1 m above the bottom and it will be somewhat less.

This is nice if the "bottom" is within the dive plan, but otherwise seems to me to be a rather sweeping generalization that may not apply on a particular dive. Isn't it a bit reckless to say "just go down to the bottom?"

Well most of the diving over there is not in the middle of the ocean. And of course you're right about the dive plan. But in general if you're close to the bottom there is less current so if it's an option, one might go there.

Thank you Sphrnidus, Highdesert.
Well, actually that was my problem. Had to go directly deep down on to bottom, I had difficulties in equalising, while the other group was almost there, I was still in the middle and swept away, quite strong current, almost lost my mask, panicked, tried to chase them, with no luck of course, exhausted and had to break my dive. Imagined if it was in one of the "killing" currents of Komodo.

It was not that deep in Raja Ampat, we only dove at around 20m - 35m max (more life at around 15 - 20 m only) but I don't know about Komodo.

Yes that is about what happened to me too once. I had been working two night shifts and then boarded a plane with very little leg room and a horrible itinerary. After arriving the liveaboard sailed for 8 hours. The next morning was the first dive. I was still bone tired. The first dive was one with a negative entry, so in we went and I saw the boat sailing away from me and missed the line we were supposed to grab, because my mask had filled and by the time I had it cleared, I saw nobody around. I cleared the mask and swam down to the bottom and felt seasick, so bad I puked.. Next to me I discovered my buddy however...
So we had a great dive :)
But good fins do help!

We can't decide for you if you should go or not. I will tell you that the Komodo currents were the hardest diving I'd ever done. Yes - I have split fins. I would dive with something else if I went back again. I also wore a tropical drysuit which captured the current and was a big mistake. The biggest problem, as you mentioned, is getting down quickly. In addition, you need to try to relax and not breath heavily which can affect your buoyancy. In Komodo, you need a pointer and a reef hook to secure yourself to the bottom. Many of the dives had you go down and then fly away to another area. You did this repeatedly throughout the dive. This isn't exactly drift diving so you'll need to hang on when you stop. On the other hand, it was terrific diving and the sea life is amazing. Good luck.

Why not invest in a drift diving course when you get there?

That's what I did, many years ago, when enjoying the harsher current dives on my first trip to the Maldives.

With challenge...is opportunity. :)

Just let your guides/DMV know you're a bit of a current novice...was there last sept. with the wife. She did fine and so will you. Awesome diving. Hook and surface marker good idea. Relax. Go with it.

Currents are mostly tidal. The boat captain or dive guide should know when strong & weak currents occur at a dive site. I've dived Komodo & RA several times. Sometimes there is current at a site, sometimes not (or not nearly as strong). Some operators dive sites at a certain time of day regardless of possible currents. Others plan sites & dive time to coincide with the strength of current they're looking for. If you want to see big schools of fish you need current. As suggested take a reef hook & inflatable marker. Stay with your guide & you'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom