Komodo Currents for Novice Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I actually dived in Sachiko 2 years ago, and it was ok. And in fact the currents in some of Raja Ampat spots (Sardines and Chicken Reef = AMAZING divespot btw) was really really strong when I was there. Even another diver on the same boat whose more than 1000 dives found it quite frustrating. Those 2 dives were okay for me. Quite tired after that, but, really enjoyed it.

But somehow I am not trusting myself (yet) diving in Komodo. After all, I want to enjoy the dive as well...

Yeah when I dived Sardine it was strong over the reef tableaux. Think the key is a lot in the cruise director, if they time it and location right you geta great dive in. I remember hearing stories of Batu bolong being a notorious site. We had an amazing cruisey dive there. Siren fleet are gr3at at this. Thats why im heading back to komodo in 3 weeks with them again. Good luck and enjoy when you do choose to go there. Its a wild but amazing place..

Before booking your trip check to see if it is a full moon. I have done a trip to komodo in a full moon phase and some sites between komodo and rinja were undiveable. Most other sites no problem with the full moon currents. The dive site makasar which has mantas most days was alot of fun but it was a good 6 knot current. We were flying but makasar is 50 feet and gravel bottom and about 5 miles long so no downcurrents.

Hi weeksd, did you manage to dive the cauldron during the full moon.

we were in Komodo from 11 - 15 August 2013 with SMY mangguana and dived the north side of Komodo. Strong current at Crystal rock (lot of shark), castle rock and cauldron but still manageable; no current at Makasar reef but no manta. Other dive sites are relatively easy.

Few days ago at Batu Bolong, ripping downcurrents in fish soup, amazing dive but some of the novices on board were a little rattled after. Nonetheless the briefing was thorough and everyone followed instructions to stay close to the wall. If you venture away from the reef then its a lOng way down in the blue. Not a good situation to be in. Novices who listen to instructions and follow their guides will get better at managing currents and building experience.

Few days ago at Batu Bolong, ripping downcurrents in fish soup, amazing dive but some of the novices on board were a little rattled after. Nonetheless the briefing was thorough and everyone followed instructions to stay close to the wall. If you venture away from the reef then its a lOng way down in the blue. Not a good situation to be in. Novices who listen to instructions and follow their guides will get better at managing currents and building experience.

If you only listen, you'll be OK. Right...

If you only listen, you'll be OK. Right...

tajkd ... gee13 never said that just listening would make everything wonderful. But listening to a good dive guide giving a solid briefing about a sketchy dive site goes a long way toward keeping everyone safe, newby or otherwise. It's irritating as hell to me when a couple people on the boat know all there is to know and carry on a conversation during the briefing, so others can't hear it. Personally, I'm no pro, and I fall somewhere in the middle in terms of skills. If I can listen and actually follow instructions, it can make the difference between coming up smiling or being swept off into the blue, or into a ripping downcurrent, and maybe not coming back. So yeah, listening just might make it OK. Right?

tajkd ... gee13 never said that just listening would make everything wonderful. But listening to a good dive guide giving a solid briefing about a sketchy dive site goes a long way toward keeping everyone safe, newby or otherwise. It's irritating as hell to me when a couple people on the boat know all there is to know and carry on a conversation during the briefing, so others can't hear it. Personally, I'm no pro, and I fall somewhere in the middle in terms of skills. If I can listen and actually follow instructions, it can make the difference between coming up smiling or being swept off into the blue, or into a ripping downcurrent, and maybe not coming back. So yeah, listening just might make it OK. Right?

The implication is that if you are not all right, then you didn't listen. I am an experienced diver with over 700 dives. I just came back from Komodo amazed by one dive in particular that was borderline deadly. During the dive briefing, the DM said "you can never tell how it will be". Boy was he right! Half the divers were caught in down currents that led them out to sea. The crew did an amazing job but the experience could never have been captured in a dive briefing. Yes, listen to briefings but know that the briefing cannot always predict the conditions.

The implication is that if you are not all right, then you didn't listen.

OK, this time you're not paying attention to what I wrote, as opposed to what gee13 wrote. I never said that listening to a briefing will make it alright either. That's an "implication" that exists only in your head. And you should know, if you spend time on this website, that your experience or lack thereof is really not all it's cracked up to be. Now of course, you'll reply by saying that I'm implying that your experience is meaningless. Nope ... I don't know you or what your experience is, so I am making no inference or implication.

And you should know, if you spend time on this website, that your experience or lack thereof is really not all it's cracked up to be.

My point exactly. This goes for dive briefings as well.

Now of course, you'll reply by saying that I'm implying that your experience is meaningless. Nope ... I don't know you or what your experience is, so I am making no inference or implication.

Reading my mind...

Back
Top Bottom