Komodo Currents for Novice Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basically we had a really thorough briefing, and the Cruise Director from Phi Siren that emphasised specifically what to do in downcurrent situation. I am quite experienced myself and have experienced many strong current dives but I felt that when that rumble really hit then the less experienced on our boat really applied what was emphasised. So in our case tajkd listening was enough to apply in practice. Im loathe to think of other more blase operations /briefings that end up not as good. Full points to the DMs as well for looking after the novices and getting everyone back to the boat alright.

Yes absolutely! This was my second Komodo trip and we did same sites at different time of the day plus some new sites I hadnt dived before. Great new boat, great crew as usual, great dive group and a week of awesome diving. Only one site dissapointed and that was Sabolan besar once a flourishing site apparently but now a dynamite fishing cemetery.

But the Highlight were Makassar reef with the mantas. I rate both my last Komodo trips over my RA trip. It has more variety of diving that I lke imho. The uw flora and fauna is also more varied. But I will have to do another RA trip to really compare.

Yes absolutely! This was my second Komodo trip and we did same sites at different time of the day plus some new sites I hadnt dived before. Great new boat, great crew as usual, great dive group and a week of awesome diving...... But I will have to do another RA trip to really compare.

Great stuff Gee!

Its always wonderful to read that our guests had a great time and that our crew looked after you and the other divers very well and of course that currents were managed accordingly, particularly in places such as Komodo.
We look forward to welcoming you back once again and for sure an RA trip would be super (again!) but perhaps we will see you branch out from Indonesia to one of our hot new destinations?

Looking forward to your trip report and photos

Best wishes from the Siren Fleet team.

We went to Komodo the first time when we had around 50 dives under our belts. I remember The dive briefing for Batu Balong scared me half to death. It turned out to be one of the best dives of my life !!!
Wild ride , but we all followed the instructions and lived to tell the story!!

Great thread here for me, a rookie with a desire to travel to Indonesia-

I am thinking about a trip to Bali/Komodo/etc next winter. Wondering how to proceed with my plans given my level of dive experience.

I do not get the chance to dive very often, living in Colorado. I was certified a few years ago in Hawaii, did great. My only other real dive trip was last winter for a long week in Ambergris Caye, Belize. I dove twice a day for the week, and learned a lot. I grew up surfing and freediving alot, so am very comfortable in the ocean and understand a bit about moving water. In Belize I got decent with my buoyancy control, air consumption, movement, etc. I like to learn, and spent a lot of time talking with my dive guides about technique. I feel very comfortable underwater, at depth, but have not experienced any diving in currents. We did boat dives with rough surface water, no descent lines, held deco stops in open water, and all dives were basic drift dives. Other than seasickness, everything felt very comfortable for me.

I will get to dive again this winter in Puerto Rico, on the walls at Guernica. Hopefully experience a bit more current, and learn more as I go.

Given my background, is it realistic to consider a trip to Bali/Komodo in 2015? I am not easily pressured into things I dont feel comfortable with, am honest about my abilities, and willing to sit out a dive if it is too challenging. I am fit and comfortable underwater. But I recognize my lack of dive experience. How do I prepare myself? I am reading a lot on these forums, learning a lot. It is raising a bunch of questions about diving in hairy situations with downcurrents. On one hand, it seems that people say you dont learn currents until you dive currents. Others talk about 100 dives minimum as a prereq. I like to dive for the underwater beauty, dont have any hero notions, and love getting back on land to be with my family.

I would much appreciate any thoughts you have to share. thanks in advance

How do I prepare myself? I am reading a lot on these forums, learning a lot. It is raising a bunch of questions about diving in hairy situations with downcurrents. On one hand, it seems that people say you dont learn currents until you dive currents. Others talk about 100 dives minimum as a prereq. I like to dive for the underwater beauty, dont have any hero notions, and love getting back on land to be with my family. I would much appreciate any thoughts you have to share. thanks in advance

Go dive Coz. It's not far, reasonably priced, good diving and it's all drift, all current, all the time.

Given my background, is it realistic to consider a trip to Bali/Komodo in 2015? I would much appreciate any thoughts you have to share. thanks in advance

Because of your surfing background, and your stated comfort in the water, combined with your rather level-headed, cautionary attitude toward current diving, and the fact you will have another dive trip under your belt, I would personally opine that you will be in a good place to go to Komodo in 2015. Having said that, it would still be prudent to find a good dive operation with a good dive guide (something you would want to do in any event) to dive with. As for a 100 dive minimum, I guess it's fair to say that, in general, more is better, but many divers have handled Komodo very well with 25 dives in their log book. Not saying I recommend that. YMMV.

---------- Post added October 12th, 2013 at 09:44 PM ----------

Go dive Coz. It's not far, reasonably priced, good diving and it's all drift, all current, all the time.
A rather broad generalization, IMHO. In two week-long trips there, we experienced maybe 4-5 total dives with enough current to call them drift dives.

Last edited:
I have 3 trips in Coz. Only 1 dive in 3 trips anchored. Every other dive picked us up way the hell off where we dropped and had significant, in some cases very strong, currents. Pretty much every person I know who dives Coz describes it as drift diving. What is your definition?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom