Knife Use and Size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

upload_2017-9-5_5-23-59.png

All I need - fitted thru two-inch webbing on my harness. Blade is maybe 1.75" long. Just enough to cut away some line.

This is my cold water knife. The size isn't for any other reason than using it and not losing it with 5 mil gloves on. A knife on the bottom in the silt really is a waste of money. The line cutter works great. The shears seem to be pretty effective too. Not a fan of putting a knife on my calf so I'm trying to work out an option that keeps it closer to the limbs with the opposable thumbs on them.

Attachments

• fogcuttter.jpg
    fogcuttter.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 59
I'll weigh in as a BFK fan. Very unlikely to drop and entirely familiar to handle due to it being similar to "normal" bush knives. When things go badly sideways enough to need a blade underwater I'd like something I can count on my muscle memory knowing how to handle it.

That said, I'll swap out my bfk carry a pair of shears, a line cutter and a mini knife or two as well, when conditions warrant it. For example when cave diving.

The 'best' tool for the job can often depend on the background of the user, no room for chest beating how big, or more recently, how small your blade is. Let's leave that to the self defense gun users and the never-ending discussion of the ideal caliber.

A larger handled blade is useful for cutting things that require strength to sever.

Hypothetical underwater, the closest situation I've been in was a blackwater river dive when I wound up in a blanket or tarp. Would have taken a significant effect to cut my way free with a little blade or shears and with 5mm gloves it could have been easy to drop a lesser tool. In hind sight taking time to untangle instead of chop and slash would have been more conservative a response.

Dive safe,
Cameron

Last edited:
This is my cold water knife. The size isn't for any other reason than using it and not losing it with 5 mil gloves on. A knife on the bottom in the silt really is a waste of money. The line cutter works great. The shears seem to be pretty effective too. Not a fan of putting a knife on my calf so I'm trying to work out an option that keeps it closer to the limbs with the opposable thumbs on them.

I agree with your assessments of the knife. I have a mini FogCutter attached to my BCD. All the benefits without carrying multiple accoutrements. Mini FogCutter Knife

This is a funny thread for me...I always kidded my buddy that the only reason I got into diving was to be able to strap a knife on my leg :) After the first few times, I went to a 4" blade knife on my inflator hose. When I moved to technical diving, mainly cave, I had a small 4" blade on my waist, a pair of shears in my pocket, and a small line cutter on my light handle. fwiw, freshwater diving in caves and Great Lakes.

I do miss my leg sword. ;-(

I agree with your assessments of the knife. I have a mini FogCutter attached to my BCD. All the benefits without carrying multiple accoutrements. Mini FogCutter Knife

How do you have it attached to your BC please? Can you show pics? I just got one and I am still trying to figure out the best way to attach it.

hmm, even with dry gloves and thick undergloves Ive never had any problem using my trilobite. I have two, one on my wrist with DC1 and one at waist with my EMT shears. have a short knife as posted earlier as well with blunt end as a tool but never have any need to use a "knife"

How do you have it attached to your BC please? Can you show pics? I just got one and I am still trying to figure out the best way to attach it.

The knife's sheath has two holes on the back that match the grommet holes on the left pocket on my BCD. I used two stainless washers over the bolts to keep it from pulling through. I will try to get a pic for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom