Knife Use and Size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kohanbash

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all
2 Questions.

1. Based on actual situations is there a good reason to carry a 5" knife (or larger) as opposed to a smaller 3" small dive knife?

2. What are situations that require a knife that a basic line cutter (such as trilobite line cutter) does not handle?

Thanks

For spearfishing, a pointy knife to dispatch a fish can be very important.

As mentioned, a large heavy knife can be useful for prying things, but that should be pretty rare for most divers.

Addressing fishing line is probably the most important function of a diver's cutting device - and for this there are better choices than a knife. However, there is the possibility that you may have to deal with rope and for this application, a serrated knife is probably the best tool.

Fighting off dangerous marine creatures is so far down on the list, it is should not even be a consideration.

Dive Safe
dano

Rope and vegetation are the things that come to mind, but I don't carry anything more than a line cutter and haven't wished for more on any dive.

Last edited:
I carry a Trilobite on my waist belt and a folding Spyderco with a serrated blade as a back-up, but I've never used either one for anything as far as I recall.

Haven't used the knife in my 12 years. My brother used a real big one for digging up clams. Last year he lost it and his old spear gun busted the same day.

Small blunt tip knife for me. Never once had to pry anything or fight off sharks or assassins.

I'd have a pointy knife (in addition to my standard-issue blunt knife) if I was a spearo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom