Knife on sternum stap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spectrum

Dive Bum Wannabe
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have EMT shears secured to the LH side of my Sherwood Avid BC. I'm adding a knife and got the Underwater Kinetics Fusilier 316 Stainless Steel Knife, Blunt Tip.

With my EMT shears down on the LH side of my BC the sternum stap seems like a nice accesible spot, at least if feels good when I tried it in the garage. I can reach it with either hand and easilly use 2 hands to get it back in the sheathe without impaling myself. It seems like it will work out well.

Any experience with that sort of set-up? My searches came up dry.

Pete

To decide what cutting tool(s) to carry and where to carry it/them a person first has to decide what they are going to use the tools for. Then what are the most likely ciricumstances under which they are going to be used.

In my case the primary reason I carry cutting tools is to free myself from entanglements and to aid in underwater rigging.

So, being able to get to the tools is Very Important. Also having tools that can be counted on to do the job is important.

So, I carry a pair of stainless steel trauma shears in a pouch on my waist strap. That pouch is just on the curve of my abdomen to my left side. I carry a titanium knife fastened to the chest strap of my BC. Thus, both tools are withn a triangle with its' apex roughly at my neck and the base points at the sides of my body level with my navel.

For strong, thin line the trauma shears can't be beat; they'll cut a penny, and they are very cheap. For rope, poly line or other rigging tasks the small knife is very useful.

Rarely, very rarely, I'll also carry a leg knife. But, since that is an entanglement hazard this is an unusual situation and only when I am absolutely certain that I'll need the tool and there is no entanglement hazard.

So, I can always get to my tools, they are relatively cheap and they don't pose any hazards.

By the way I've had occasion to use both and have not regretted my decision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom