Knife mounted on gauge console, any reason not to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I neglected to include in my post that I tested the compass before I mounted the sheath. It appears not to be affected by the knife, even when I touch the knife to the compass housing.

the magnetic field that your knife gives off even above water is probably no match for a compass in a console ( meaning has no effect) but even less so underwater where the magnetic field is weakened even more by the particles that surround it.

So let me ask the OP and supporters this question in return: What makes placing a knife on a hose a BETTER choice than actually on the bcd or belt?

That is fairly obvious, on_two_wheels - what if a shark has you in its mouth, from your fins to mid-chest?! Your belt-mounted knife will be unreachable! I'll bet that at that moment you will think to yourself "Crap!!! Having a knife on my power inflator hose would be GREAT right now so that I could stab this *$#*&@ shark in the eye!" It will be too late at that point, my friend...

In all honesty, a knife is far easier to sheath if it is on a power inflator hose than if it is on your belt. Yes, it is now time for a good 'ol DIR pile-on. FWIW, one of my knives is on my BP "waist-mounted in front, near the center of the diver's body, for easy access" (Ref: Doing it Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving by Jarrod Jablonski). The other knife is either on my inflator hose or on my forearm. The shears are also "waist-mounted in front, near the center of the diver's body..."

If I'm waist deep in a shark's mouth, my little bc knife won't be much good at that point. I'm still dead or will probably wish I were.

In what way do you think it's easier on the power inflator? Not arguing...genuinely seeking understanding to a different view on this one. I'm not a DIR diver. I just dive with simplicity in mind. My inflator hose moves. My belt doesn't. I can get my knife out/replaced with one hand, no looking, either hand without waving the knife reaching to grab a hose.

the magnetic field that your knife gives off even above water is probably no match for a compass in a console ( meaning has no effect) but even less so underwater where the magnetic field is weakened even more by the particles that surround it.

Good quality stainless steel is not magnetic.

I currently prefer to look when placing the tip of my knife in the sheath. When I used the sheath on the HP hose, there was no search for it. It was very simple for me to access. I used the compass and SPG without problem as well. Not much difference on my HP hose or left forearm when removing or sheathing knife. Works for my current purposes and I am comfortable with it.

I think GWS bite and release. So a surface swimmer would be up in the air and released before being able to finish saying, "Oh S..t!!! Shark!."

If I come across a scenario where one hand, either left or right required I would change to wetsuit side hip knife pocket. But I still like to see where the tip is going when sheathing.

If I'm waist deep in a shark's mouth, my little bc knife won't be much good at that point. I'm still dead or will probably wish I were.

Well, just take the little knife off the power inflator, and cut the hose. Fill that shark up with plenty of gas and see if he spits you out. You may not live through it, but neither will the shark.............

Safe diving to you.

With an attitude like that you shouldn't be a scuba diver. It is not if a shark will attack you, it is when. If you aren't ready to defend yourself then you should not be in the water. Easy prey that just give up are what is causing more bold, brazen attacks.

Yes I am trolling.

I can get my knife out/replaced with one hand, no looking, either hand without waving the knife reaching to grab a hose.

Either you have the skill of a samurai or you use touch to guide the knife into the sheath. Try that with dry gloves which: (a) are thick (if you count the liners); and (b) being less resilient than neoprene, you would rather not cut them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom