Knife mounted on gauge console, any reason not to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The true question to ask is if you can access it with one hand tied behind your back.
Can you do that with both your left and your right?
If no then you could have a serious problem.

I wouldnt think of the gauge console as an ideal place to mount your knife just because it moves around a lot and might not be as easily accessable when needed. Maybe try the BCD inflator hose? that seems to always be closer to the body and maybe a bit higher up and accessable

How many of us in NorCal are missing an arm? That SCUBA or freedive? Or think they may lose an arm to a GWS, injury, or boat prop.

This is not necessarily DIR or Tech diving.

Many of us are Recreational divers and may never use a knife or cutting device underwater.

Or even carry a knife for that matter.

I can also see in the military or public safety sector that this may be important though for knives and guns. To be able to access with right or left hand.

Never depend 100% on a knife. They can be dropped and lost. The more expensive they are, the more likely they will be lost.:D

My TI is mounted on my HP Hose, behind my console. It's easy to get to. I dive off Jersey, and mono is plentiful. I also carry one on each leg. If I'm hunting, I carry a Riffe dispatch knife on my right forearm.

Safe diving to you.

Actually, I clip my gauge console to my right chest d ring, so it's in about the same location as if it were on the inflator hose, just on the right side instead of the left side. I'm left handed, so it's easier for me that way.

I actually had intended to mention that in my first post, but somehow, I managed to delete part of the message before I hit the post button. Murphy's law in action.

How many of us in NorCal are missing an arm? That SCUBA or freedive? Or think they may lose an arm to a GWS, injury, or boat prop.

This is not necessarily DIR or Tech diving.

Many of us are Recreational divers and may never use a knife or cutting device underwater.

Or even carry a knife for that matter.

I can also see in the military or public safety sector that this may be important though for knives and guns. To be able to access with right or left hand.

Never depend 100% on a knife. They can be dropped and lost. The more expensive they are, the more likely they will be lost.:D

You don't have to actually lose your arm to not have use of it. I think that was the point. You might be holding on in a ridiculous current with one hand. You could be holding someone's reg in place while cutting them free of an entanglement. You could be holding a light in one hand while getting entangled. The more solid the mount, the easier to remove/replace with one hand. While mounting on a hose might be "acceptable" it's fair to say it's not the best choice.

So let me ask the OP and supporters this question in return: What makes placing a knife on a hose a BETTER choice than actually on the bcd or belt?

On your console? Absolutely not! It would make it much harder to retrieve when you need it for fighting off sharks. Manly men wear their knives ONLY strapped to their legs!

The way I was taught was one on each extremity, plus one center of mass.

Ken

I made a dive with a buddy once to recover his dive camera (long story for why we had to do that), as we were descending, passing 80', I saw a real nice dive knife right below me. Then I noticed my knife sheath was empty. We recovered the camera. I also recovered my knife.

Ken

Ken...that's a good one. Nothing worse than getting a little excited about a potential freebie only to realize you've already paid for it! :wink:

I wouldnt think of the gauge console as an ideal place to mount your knife just because it moves around a lot and might not be as easily accessable when needed.

Why should a console move around alot? Would it not be tethered or tucked in so it's not swinging around, dragging, etc?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom