Knife mount for BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bought a knife that had large screws on the sheath. You just poke small holes throught the bc POCKET (not the bladder) and screw the screws into the sheath, it's nice and clean looking.

Strange, I was getting ready to post the same thing. I'm thinking of attaching mine to my right shoulder strap of my BC with the handle facing down. I was going to use zip ties, but I'm not real sure. I just see this area as a good place to put it. It's not a very large knife (I'm not trying to compensate for something, ha ha ha). Any smarter divers tried this and seen potential problems with this area?

This is where I have attached my OMS titanium knife.. it's not very big and is unobtrusive. I first attached it with zip-ties/ty-wraps but found one broken when I got my bdc out of my luggage. I have since replaced the ty-wraps with dacron line (simillar to paracord). so far it's held up fine.

I like this position because it gives me access to it with either hand (ya never know)

Do you have a dump on the right shoulder? I'd be a bit careful about the possibility of pinching the dump pull on that side.

For the record - mines mounted to my BC through the mounting holes provided. I know that's no help to those who don't have that feature!

As an option, I carry a small titanium knife in a wrist strap on my left arm. It's made out of thin wetsuit material with a stitched on nylon holster. No danger of loss and it' always very easy to find - don't even have to look to access it. (Personally I hate things attached to my chest unless it's a topside device such as a jonline, signal tube, etc.)

If you haven't found a solution yet, hubby just cut the straps which came with his knife and readjusted them so they fit tightly around the bc strap. No problem so far!

Buy some velco straps. That's what I did. Got mine from home depo.

Buy some velco straps. That's what I did. Got mine from home depo.

This is a good idea if you're moving from one type of BC to another. An assortment of velcro straps will assist in flexibility of placement.

If you make a hot incision with an old kitchen knife at the bottom forward bellows of the pocket of your BC with a hot nail pierce two holes in the pocket, for knife sheath screws. The pocket will conceal and help support the knife sheath. Allowing the handle to be outside the pocket, heavier knifes weight in any type of mounting is a concideration. Another way to attach it to your chest strap is the thick black rubber bands used by soldiers on there Web gear. These types of bands were used to hold up a substancial blade as a USMC Kabar blade. They can be found in on line sites like US Calvery or Quartermaster.

I make my dive knifes from kitchen knifes and a piece of plastic hose as a sheath. The handle of my knife is permantently fastened to the base of the sheath with a piece of bungy. If I can drill a hole in the handel I cable tie a dog lead type clip on the handel, if I cant I cable tie the clip to the base of the sheath. I clip my knife to a 'D' ring. I unclip the knife and sheath when I want to use it. I can see what I'm doing when I put the knife back in the sheath.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom