Knee pads; elbow pads?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hdtran

Geography Police
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm ordering a custom-fitted wetsuit for my wife. I'm going to get her knee pads. Should I also add elbow pads?

Thanks!

She's going to do OW, so I'd say buoyancy control is novice. OTOH, where we're going (for now), bottoms are sandy.

I wouldn't worry about elbow pads.

You might consider spending the money on a buoyancy class.

It will cost less in the end, make her a more competent diver and while you are only diving sand bottoms for now, others will appreciate it if she isn't stirring up the bottom when you do find some silt. This will also allow her to swim over a reef without touching and harming it.

Buoyancy class is definitely on the books whenever it's offered, for the both of us; or a private lesson if a formal buoyancy class is not available.

My buoyancy either sucks or blows (I'm the water yo-yo :wink: ). Fortunately, I've avoided bonking my head on the underside of boats, or hitting bottom so far.

Much of your buoyancy is controlled by your lungs. Deep slow breaths are much better than fast deep or shallow breaths. When you exhale you should sink, when you inhale and if you were to hold your breath (which I don't advise) you will rise.

Another tip: Try to stay horizontal on your ascents and descents. Doing so gives your more resistance to going up or down. When you want to ascend, position yourself slighty head up - say about 10 degrees. This will allow the air in your BCD to rise to your shoulders and thus be able to vent out your inflator hose.

Part of the reason why are you yo - yo'ing underwater may be because you are overweighted.
Do a weight check with an empty tank. With all your gear on take a tank that is down nearly empty - 100 -200 psi. With no air in your bcd you should float on the surface holding your breath. When you exhale you should sink.

The only reason to have knee pads on your wetsuit is for the potential of falling while entering or exiting from a shore dive. When you get accustomed to having good buoyancy you should be able to swim along the bottom with only an inch or two between it and your pelvis/stomach and still not touch. When you get comfortable with that then try flipping over on your back and swim. Try to keep your tank less than a foot off the bottom. Do this where there is only sand or mud though.

OE2X:
Much of your buoyancy is controlled by your lungs. Deep slow breaths are much better than fast deep or shallow breaths. When you exhale you should sink, when you inhale and if you were to hold your breath (which I don't advise) you will rise.

Another tip: Try to stay horizontal on your ascents and descents. Doing so gives your more resistance to going up or down. When you want to ascend, position yourself slighty head up - say about 10 degrees. This will allow the air in your BCD to rise to your shoulders and thus be able to vent out your inflator hose.

Part of the reason why are you yo - yo'ing underwater may be because you are overweighted.
Do a weight check with an empty tank. With all your gear on take a tank that is down nearly empty - 100 -200 psi. With no air in your bcd you should float on the surface holding your breath. When you exhale you should sink.

The only reason to have knee pads on your wetsuit is for the potential of falling while entering or exiting from a shore dive. When you get accustomed to having good buoyancy you should be able to swim along the bottom with only an inch or two between it and your pelvis/stomach and still not touch. When you get comfortable with that then try flipping over on your back and swim. Try to keep your tank less than a foot off the bottom. Do this where there is only sand or mud though.

Good advice. I am (knowingly) overweighted by at least 1 weight, because I have difficulty exhausting air out of the BCD (can't reach the valve high enough above me).

Interesting idea to be horizontal while ascending/descending; I'll try that out.

I've decided to do the kneepads (turns out they were free) and not bother with elbows.

Free is always good.

Good luck with your skills. One thing I'll add to all of this. If you want to make it really easy and nice for your buddy then add a "frog kick" into this. This keeps your knees up while swimming along the bottom. The reason why it's so nice for your buddy or anyone else following you is that you don't force the water towards the bottom thus stirring it up. Your trim horizontally will be nice and clean and you'll be able to float just off the bottom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom