Killer Texas BBQ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba-sass

Wreckmaniac Extrordinaire
Reaction score
Forget the hazards of smoking - it's BBQ we all have to worry about!

Happy Diving!

Scuba-sass :)

Source: Healthcare Advisory Board, Daily Briefing

03/19/2003

Popularity of barbecue may contribute to air pollution in Houston

Living in the unofficial barbecue capital of Texas, Houston residents may be breathing in more than just the aroma of down-home cooking. A recent one-year study by researchers at Rice University found that the microscopic bits of polyunsaturated fatty acids released into the air from cooking meat on outside barbecues may be contributing to the city’s air pollution problem. According to Reuters Health, Houston at times registers levels of air pollution that make it one of the most polluted urban areas in the nation. The researchers say that at least part of that pollution comes from barbecued meat. “Meat turned out to be a somewhat important source of the atmospheric fine particles in the urban area in Houston,” comments the study’s lead author, noting, however, that the percentage of particles in the air that derive from barbecue as part of the overall level of airborne pollutants is “in the single digits.” Still, he adds, these particles are of particular concern because they can settle deep in the lungs, causing respiratory and heart problems. The study is scheduled to be published next month in an academic journal (Reuters Health, 3/18).

Since the study was conducted by Rice, the study may have been conducted during the Livestock Show Cookoff. They are close enough to the site of the 300+ cookoff pits that it wouldn't suprise me that they recorded pit smoke.
Working over a pit for several days is adverse to your health due to the unlmited mandatory tequila. beer and jello shots consumed. Wet T-shirt contests add much to the health hazard
Life is good !
Larry

That's not pollution -- that's AMBROSIA!!

ohh yeah...
I am looking forward to see the reactions to this article... yet another case of how everythings bad for you...

They should have a disclaimer *Reading these academic journals will ruin your life do to the fact that everything thats "good" is "bad" for you. have a nice day:)

It's a shame Rice has to waste research funds on such drivel! It's obvious whoever is in charge of approving research grants is not from Texas. All Texans, Houstonians in particular, know it's those fine particles of burnt polyunsaturated fatty acid coating our lungs that protect us from the Federally funded chemicals plants that spew carcinogens into our air at night and on cloudy days. Maybe we should start smearing our cars and trucks with brisket drippings to protect the paint jobs from the chemical fall-put.

Yep....I really worry about BBQ smoke.

Of course everything's bad for you! The EPA will probably issue a warning to avoid breathing at all one of these days.

By the way, I hear birth is the leading cause of death. :wacko:

What is the world coming to??? Next they'll be banning chicken fried steak, cream gravy & corn bread!!:wink:

oop`s...,too many ssss`s.It must have been all that pit smoke!
It never ceases to amaze me how these over-educated under worked soon to be the new yuppies of the work force can get together and brain storm a subject like pit smoke pollution and come up with an answer that ANY back yard meat burner with a nose could tell ya the same answer.
If they want to study pollution that realy affect us...let `em go out to the 610 ship channel and tell us why the sky is so green!!

Ya know I think were missing the important part of there study

I wonder if they would give us a grant to help them study this and confirm their findings. Just think they would have to pay us to BBQ. Nothing tast better than BBQ unless it's payed by someone else. I wonder If I could be one of there test subjects. They could pay me like say... $50 and provide the meat. Then I could BBQ and then they could study me to find out just how much polution I received.

I wonder where I could sign up for there study. What ya say gang free BBQ comp's via Rice.

Geek

I see where you are going with this...
Think of all the other departments that could get involved..

-The psychological effects of BBQ in small groups...
-The philosophists could get involved and see what "theories" is most discussed over a plate of BBQ
-Sociologist's could figure out why southern people BBQ the most
-Heck That would lead to the geneticists taking samples to see if a gene is the reason that we southern people love to bbq more than Northern...
-What political party do most BBQ'ers represent..

-Not to mention the studies for drinking that could be re-evaluated or retested at the same time

All of Rice U. researchers could be tied up with BBQ for a while

Back
Top Bottom