Kids & Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GA Under Water:
How old must one be to breath from a reg :) My 2 y/o loves to run around with my mask.

@ 6 they can do the PADI Sassy Basicly snorkleing with a tank surface only @ 8 they can do bubble makers with BC and tanks in a pool also Seal Team they do adventure diveing in the pool, Then @ 10 they can get Jr OW:D

Charles R:
@ 6 they can do the PADI Sassy Basicly snorkleing with a tank surface only @ 8 they can do bubble makers with BC and tanks in a pool also Seal Team they do adventure diveing in the pool, Then @ 10 they can get Jr OW:D

I figure I will have to let him breath from it in the pool before 4. but I AM trying to paitiently wait for 8 for some pool diving with him. then deffinantly 12 for OWD.

My issue is how do I get my son interested in diving. He is 13 (will be 14 in November). He is a fish can't get him out of the pool during summer but wont consider SCUBA. I think he would have a great time and I would have a Father/Son dive team but he can't seem to get past the breathing underwater.

My issue is how do I get my son interested in diving. He is 13 (will be 14 in November). He is a fish can't get him out of the pool during summer but wont consider SCUBA. I think he would have a great time and I would have a Father/Son dive team but he can't seem to get past the breathing underwater.

Smack him upside the back of the head! No just kidding. :D

Odd??? Did he by chance watch Open Water? Jaws? How about any other fictional movie that portrays diving in a bad light? I know that doesn't help but it's food for thought for those of us with young'uns.

My wife and I dive Epcot just to have our little one watch what we do. She is just shy of 3 and is determined to learn how to swim so she can scuba like her daddy and mommy. We are heading down to the Keys next week and I will pop a mask on her so she can take her first look at what goes on under the water. When I dive with a dad and his kid, it is amazing to look at the sense of satisfaction that rests on that dad's face because he knows he is sharing a great experience with his child. I can't wait to have that experience.

mulefeathers:
As a parent and an instructor, I have this conversation with a lot of parents. My best advice: Don't force it, don't make an issue of it, just let him know that it is available if he wants it. My oldest wanted to learn to dive at 14, did the classroom and pool sessions with no difficulties at all and had no problems with any of the skills in open water. Came out after the last dive and said "sorry dad, this isn't for me." At 18 he still snorkles and free dives with me but the breathing under water makes him claustrophobic.
My youngest ,11,couldn't wait to get in the ocean and do her check out dives and her only complaint was that waiting for the adults in her class to get through their skills was boring. Every kid is different and despite our best efforts our passions are not necessarily theirs.

GA Under Water:
I figure I will have to let him breath from it in the pool before 4. but I AM trying to paitiently wait for 8 for some pool diving with him. then deffinantly 12 for OWD.

Better than pool time is the SNUBA @ 8 they can go down 20' with a regulator and a weight belt with the tank on a raft @ the surface thats were the magic happened in my sons eyes it was a wonderful experiene we shared and we already planed his 10th B-day party it will be @ the Beaches resort in Turks & Cacious were he will get to complete his Jr OW and Dive with Dad! I already bought him a BP/W setup im am taking good care of it for the next year for him:eyebrow: But that will grow with him in more ways than one.

My 9 year old daughter is tooling around with mask and snorkel all the time at the Y. Last Saturday I found her going down to about 8 feet and then my 4 year old son jumps in and tries to match her.

I'm out a full set of snorkel gear for my daughter already, need to get another set for my son, just resized an old backpack with a 40 for the girl, I guess my 30 is about to be taken over by my son.

No one gets my "new" DA Aqua Master double hose but me!

mulefeathers:

I just started taking golf lessons. I'm 34 years old. They're kind of fun.

When I was about 8 years old, my father insisted that I learn to play golf. It was his favorite pass-time. I had other ideas and despised it. Since then, I have been vocal in my dislike for golf.

I now a feel a degree of social pressure to be able to play. As I noted, it's kind of fun. I would have probably started playing years ago, but for the fact that my father insisted I enjoy HIS game.

Diving is cool. Swimmers are natural divers. Your son will find his way to diving in his own time. If you push it, he may never pick it up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom