Kidnapping on Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One can only hope this will provide some closure for Marlie's parents unlike what happened with Natalie Holloway on Aruba. Now all efforts from the authorities can be focused on a successful prosecution.

How sad. I was figuring this was going to be the case after so long. Ya know a bullet is a whole lot cheaper than a prison sentence and then you don't have to worry about hime ever walking the strets again.

I am truly sorry for the family may God look over her.

I had asked some of the people at our hotel last week while on the island about Marlies and you would have thought I slapped someone in the face. Not only would they not talk about it but really acted like I was out of line to even ask about it... I really wanted to hear that she skipped the island to get married or some other happy ending. I feel terrible about what happened to her. I sincerely hope that these guys get what they deserve - what they gave to an innocent girl!

The extra slap in the face to her friends and family, as well as every person in the world who believes we should be able to live without the threat of being murdered/raped-is that this assh*le is a known recidivist sexual predator. Should have been done right the first time.

You must have missed me, with some comment, as I was posting regularly before.
Sorry, I was off-island for 5 days, and just arrived back this morning.
I didn't post me being off-island before leaving, because I don't want to bring potential thiefs on an idea.
Yesterday I heard the sad news. Believe me, nearly all the local people on Bonaire are very sad about what happened, the happenings are very actual in the news at the moment.

Some more details, for a better understanding perhaps:
The cousin of the first suspect has lead the police to the place where Marlies was burried. They found her "in pieces" burried undeep in a piece of ground at Amboina, a neighbourhood. Together with her debit-cards and flip-flops. Partially the parts were washed free, by the heavy rainfall. The parts are 100% sure identified as being Marlies. On the radio we heard this afternoon, a sixth suspect was arrested with initials K.E.M. Suspects nrs 4 and 5 were released earlier.
Police also stated that on the surveillance-cameras at "Karel's Beach Bar" where marlies was partying before her disappearance, suspect nr. 1, "Ryan" was trying to pick up Marlies in an extremely "macho"-way, and it was visible that Marlies didn't want to go in upon his advances.
It is known that young local Antillians sometimes get very angry if their advances are not honoured by the potential beloved woman.
Ryan is also known (according to his (now ex-)girlfriend) to become very agressive and sexual active when having drunk some whisky's. He had actually taken a lot of Johnny Walker Black-labels that evening. Ryan was in discussion with the father of his ex-girlfriend at Karel's, when he suddenly disappeared without saying a word, that was shortly after Marlies left. Two women have seen Marlies biking home, followed by a scooter, and other witnesses have seen a guy on a scooter with a body in front of him, going uphill.
The two persons, released from jail, one of them is his older brother, who has obviously nothing to do with this. The second released person is the (step-)father of Shanti, the ex-girlfriend of Ryan.
Another person (19 year olf friend of Ryan) still kept in prison, is supposed to have cleaned the car in which she was brought to the place where she was burried.
At this moment Ryan is moved to the prison in Curacao (Bon Futuro), to prevent the different suspects can have contact with each other.
I think the Police did finally a good job in finding her, and arresting several suspects, but the real proof of the responsability of these guys for what has happened is still not completely ready.

There is also the story of the late response on the calls of the guards of the powerplant. An investigation on that is still underway. Because of lack of action of some police-people, the search for the disappearance just started over 36 hours after her disappearance. When forensic investigation finds out that Marlies was not killed immediately, this could also have heavy consequences.

A commemoration-assembly for Marlies will be held this week on Bonaire.
Condoleances can be sent on the site: http://www.condoleance.nl/registers/register_10668.html

Harrie.

Last edited:
I forgot to tell,

If you want to send condoleances, it is a site in dutch language, you will have to go to: "Condoleance toevoegen", on the right site. Of course you can post in whatever language.

Harrie

Thanks again Harrie for helping us to understand what is going on there. I really think a .17 cent 22lrhp bullet would fix things. One in everyones head involved with her murder.

Marlies and her family will be in my familes prayers. How aweful for this to happen to anyone.

I agree with Aaron....thank you Harrie :)sblogo: 's own Bonarian News Anchorman) and Liz for helping us, the general "non-Bonairian" population, understand what has been happening on the island specific to this tragedy. Your information allowed me to travel to Bonaire last week with the feeling that I had a small understanding of what was going on.

I truly hope that we can open up the overall communications going forward about what happens on the island so that we can be informed travellers. I personally want to know all of the good and the bad. Terrible things happen everywhere in the world.....no place or person is immune to tragedy. I as a diver, will still try to make Bonaire an annual trip because I have had such a great time when I have been there.

Thanks again

Last edited:
Breaking news!

Just on the radio, minutes ago.

Forensic research on the body of Marlies in the Netherlands couldn’t prove any involvement of Ryan P. with the death of Marlies. He is probably innocent. Main suspect is now Kenneth E.M., who was arrested yesterday. Police expects more persons to be arrested soon. They also said Marlies wasn’t killed at or near the place where she was kidnapped, and also not at the place where (most parts of her) were buried. They are searching in several houses where they think she was kept in capture, and/or has been killed.
These new circumstances give again some light to the idea that she was kidnapped while the kidnappers thought she was the daughter of Wout van Kouwen, the well-known “criminal” and informant of Justice, that lives temporary on the island. Criminals from a Yugoslavian gang in Holland do have to pick a bone with him. The 17-year-old daughter of van Kouwen worked at Karel’s Beach Bar, and is also blonde. Which means Marlies was kidnapped by accident. Ryan P. knew Marlies, as he also has confessed, and as was shown on the surveillance-cameras of Karel’s Beach Bar, so he could not have made that mistake.

The place where Marlies was buried is now a kind of memorial, where locals bring flowers.

Yesterday evening a religious service was held in the catholic church in Playa, to memorize Marlies. This service was organised (I am not sure) by the owners of the Botika (Pharmacy) where Marlies worked. The parents of Marlies were expected there too, but the people (psychologists) that take care of them seem to have advised to not go there. Not much publicity was given to this service, we heard of it, when he service was almost over, otherwise we would have gone there. Some 100 people attended the service. I don’t think this was the remembrance service that is planned for this week.

Harrie

What a tragedy . It seems incomprehensible that Bonaire has fallen into big city gangster retaliation . At least there may be closure for the family . tragic

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom