Kicked out of Nitrox Class!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The answer is that the LDSs have likely collectively pressured the manufacturers to adopt these policies.

They're the ones that want it, but only if ALL have to live by it, of course.....

It takes nothing more than Occam's Razor to figure this out...

Thus, guess where your ire should be directed......

I’d like to know the rest of the story, not many situations are one sided. Not saying that this was the case, don’t know since I wasn’t there, but if I’m ever an instructor or a dive shop owner I suspect I wouldn’t be willing to put up with a lot of attitude for a single $125 class. Especially when it was made clear that was to be the extent of our relationship.

Mike

I'm very new to diving, but not new to small business. I think the dive industry is a little backwards in their thinking. (Or at least this business owner ) I have worked in small animal practices all over the country and price is not the major factor keeping clients in a practice. When the large supermarket animal clinics opened we were scared, but the Petsmarts of the world did us a big favor, because people saw the value of their local animal hospitals. Even the smallest hospitals have been able to compete with the chain store clinics. Why? Because it is the quality of the service. So I don't care if you go to a large supermarket to buy your special dog food or get your shots 1/2 price. These same people still bring me their animals for annual examinations and other problems because they know the quality of care they will get.

I'm so sick and tired of this mad rush to get divers out and into specific equipment. So what you buy stuff on-line. If you trust them enough to teach you and they treat you right chances are you will be back for other things too. It is the long term client/consumer that builds a small business.

Diving is a sport, just like riding, yep riding is a sport. I get tons of catalogs and have brought on line, but my tack shop has never been cross with me for doing it. Why? because I see them four times or more a year for something. How often do I shop on line once a year.

This story really bothers me.

Genesis once bubbled...
The answer is that the LDSs have likely collectively pressured the manufacturers to adopt these policies.

They're the ones that want it, but only if ALL have to live by it, of course.....

It takes nothing more than Occam's Razor to figure this out...

Thus, guess where your ire should be directed......
I think he means the manufacturers... :D

Holy s@#t!

But doesn't surprise me, the desperate financial positions these LDS may find themselves in. Very tough business.

I just bought a brand new dry suit on an e-bay auction for $600, about $600-1000 dollars less than I would have paid in a dive shop. I didn't dare tell my nearest LDS owner. What's a consumer to do? I go through several area LDS' for equipment, depending on the best price at the moment. And while I like the general idea of shop loyalty, reality sets in for everyone and everything else, you gotta save a buck or two here and there. This sport is expensive enough in just trying to be fair-weather diver.

The dealer I bought online from does just that, he sells gear online at near wholesale prices and does well. He makes off in sales and can guarantee some customers will return.

I also know a LDS that retails on the street as well as dealing online through ebay and what not. Maybe this DFW dealer should consider doing something similar. That's the name of the game in business, stay on top of the market and consider all options in business expansion.

While I don't disagree that there are less expensive sources of gear, I wonder how much you lose in terms of convenience and how much cash you spend on other items.

I buy 99% of my gear from my LDS. The 1% I don't get there is because its specialty gear for which there is almost no market (all graphite pencils, a custom computer strap).

What do I get for that? Well, I dropped my reg sets off on Monday, along with a note describing the problem and asking the reg tech to adjust them quickly because I was diving on Wednesday night.

The reg tech made a special trip in on Tuesday to adjust them. Total cost for two regs with a complete tear down and analysis was $20.00. And they were ready Tuesday night in case I wanted to pack early.

The Wednesday dive was another example of benefits that we get through the LDS. We dove in a local quarry that is not open to the general public. Instead, the pro staff from the LDS and the local fire department are the only people allowed in.

Why? Because my LDS provides training to the fire department and services. A few of us who are technical divers assist when they need to search below the depth at which they are authorized to operate.

We drive up, unlock the gate and have a 50 foot walk down a boat ramp to a great training area. Even better, its 15 minutes from the LDS. Since the ocean is 2 hours away, this is the best chance I've got to dive during the week or whenever I don't want to spend the entire day diving.

As a shop AI, I don't pay for gas, including technical mixes with high O2. I also have access to the fill station pretty much around the clock. I also have an account and can sign for items even when the shop is closed. In exchange, the LDS prefers that I use their equipment, although they don't require it.

Even customers who are not on staff do well at this shop. The LDS has (1) added product lines when we requested them (DUI and Halcyon are the most recent); (2) a long standing 100 day return policy on gear; (3) awarded credits against class costs if you buy your equipment there.

Finally, the LDS provides perks to regular customers. Buy your entire rig and the LDS will throw in some accessories, in addition to giving you a volume discount. Buy a drysuit and get a class on its use. I offer my EFR students very nice first aid kits for cost when they complete the course.

The final benefit is that I can dive much more regularly than I would if I were not using the shop. I'm a member of a regular dive team that operates out of that shop. No buddy horror stories, no other problems and a great group of people that uses the back room of the shop as a clubhouse when we are not teaching. We travel together and have great luck with dive operations because we take over all or most of the boat.

We get this type of service because we support the LDS.

There's no question that we pay more for the service. However, I'd rather pay more for a premium service than spend my time kvetching about my awful LDS.

Besides, I figure that, between air fills, free samples, fast repairs, discounts, training, etc..., I've made out fairly well. It all contributes to stress free diving, which is far more valuable than the money I'd save shopping my business.

Look back up the thread...the LDS that kicked him out for buying online...sells online! How hypocritical is that?

And Northeastwrecks...look farther back at DrewSailbum's post. PADI specifically prohibits denying somebody certification for personal reasons or economic gear purchase reasons. She let him get 2 hours into the class, then denied him the right to complete his certification because of economic reasons over where he purchased past gear. Seems like a pretty straight-forward case of violating PADI's rules for instructors to me. Also, as somebody else said in the other LDS rant thread, there is a law that prohibits attachment marketing. Basically says you can't force somebody to buy one product in order to allow them to buy another. So if they are saying he has to buy gear there in order to "buy" the class, they are violating the law (if you assume the class is a "product"). I consider the class a product the way most LDS instructors teach, because they commit to a predetermined number of hours of class room and a predetermined number of dives. If they sold "training" (i.e. however many hours and dives it takes to be proficient), I would accept that they were not selling a product. So while she may or may not have the legal right to refuse to serve him...she does not have the legal right to offer an item for sale with the condition that you also buy other items from her shop.

AggieDiver

This shop sounds like one that has got it right.

AggieDiver once bubbled...
Look back up the thread...the LDS that kicked him out for buying online...sells online! How hypocritical is that?

And Northeastwrecks...look farther back at DrewSailbum's post. PADI specifically prohibits denying somebody certification for personal reasons or economic gear purchase reasons. She let him get 2 hours into the class, then denied him the right to complete his certification because of economic reasons over where he purchased past gear. Seems like a pretty straight-forward case of violating PADI's rules for instructors to me.

PADI prohibits an instructor from refusing to issue a certification after the student successfully completes the class. This student didn't finish the class.

FWIW, I'm not suggesting that the LDS was smart to do this. Personally, I'd have advised them to finish the course. However, there is nothing illegal about what they've done. I'm also not convinced that it violates PADI standards.

Also, as somebody else said in the other LDS rant thread, there is a law that prohibits attachment marketing. Basically says you can't force somebody to buy one product in order to allow them to buy another. So if they are saying he has to buy gear there in order to "buy" the class, they are violating the law (if you assume the class is a "product").

Somebody did say that. More specifically, someone who has no idea what they are talking about. I responded in that thread and am not in the mood to retype my response. On these facts, there is nothing illegal about the practice.

Moreover, I do not assume that the class is a product and I don't know why you would.

I consider the class a product the way most LDS instructors teach, because they commit to a predetermined number of hours of class room and a predetermined number of dives. If they sold "training" (i.e. however many hours and dives it takes to be proficient), I would accept that they were not selling a product. So while she may or may not have the legal right to refuse to serve him...she does not have the legal right to offer an item for sale with the condition that you also buy other items from her shop.

Once again, this is incorrect as a matter of fact and law and wholly irrelevant.

Instructors don't commit to certify you after a certain number of hours or a certain number of dives. They tell you the minimum requirements that you will need in order to obtain certification. At least at my LDS, people who don't pass in the time scheduled for the class are brought back for remedial training.

You also need to recognize that the fact that you believe a training class is a product is irrelevant to whether it actually is a product. The only relevant question is what the law provides.

Article 2 of the UCC, enacted in one form or another in most states, provides the definition of a good, i.e., a product. In general, a good is a tangible item. When looking at a transaction that involves goods and services, you look to the dominant feature of the transaction to determine whether you are dealing with the sale of a good.

In a Nitrox class, you get a book and some tables. However, the vast majority of the course is instruction. So this is not a sale of goods.

Regardless, this is irrelevant. A shop could easily say that it would not sell piecemeal gear and that they would only sell complete rigs. This would be stupid, but it would not be illegal.

A shop could also offer a discount to customers who agreed to purchase all their gear through the shop and refuse the discount to those who don't. This happens all the time in business.

Face the fact that you are dealing with a private business. You have no guaranteed right to purchase from them. They can refuse to do business for any reason or no reason at all, so long as it is not unlawful discrimination.

It is not unlawful discrimination to refuse to sell to someone who bought products elsewhere. Stupid, yes. Unlawful, no.

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...
It is not unlawful discrimination to refuse to sell to someone who bought products elsewhere. Stupid, yes. Unlawful, no.
I'm gonna have to agree with you on this one, NEW.
Litigation is not the answer. Not patronizing the offending LDS is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom