Keys trip looking for suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you all for the suggestions.
Anyone knows if I can snorkel at Bahia Honda? Or anywhere in particular?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

In Islamorada eat at the Fish Company by Bass Pro Shops, tarpon come close, you can watch the sunset, and there is a little beach with chairs to sit at before and after you eat. Went there twice, excellent food!

Duvall Street has lots of bars and restaurants to choose from. Stop by the Adam and Eve bar (ha ha ha)

Visited Adam and eve tonight, over than the fact that its a clothing optional place its more if a dancing club than the dime a dozen bars I'm Duvall.
Awesome recommendation!

---------- Post added August 2nd, 2013 at 03:50 AM ----------

In Islamorada eat at the Fish Company by Bass Pro Shops, tarpon come close, you can watch the sunset, and there is a little beach with chairs to sit at before and after you eat. Went there twice, excellent food!

Ate there for lunch, really tasty the beach area was great sadly had to leave early to make it to key west but thank you for recommending it, I'll come back to it on my way back

Long time local.

Key Largo. With the exception of one or two, no bad scuba/snorkel ops in the Upper Keys. They're all good, they have to be.

Consider Pennekamp Park for an all day excursion for the family. Scuba, Snorkel, Glass Bottom, (all dedicated trips) Kayaking, or just lounging around.

Eateries in the Upper Keys. Many of these places are living on past reputations and have "sold out" i.e. positioned for the masses. I see names that I are fair to atrocious in their delivery of food and service. I recommend-

Mrs Macs or Key Largo Fisheries Backyard for lunch.

Made to Order mm 91 or Harriet's mm 95 for breakfast.

For dinner, depending on your budget of course. Nothing in Key Largo. Most of us locals gather at Old Tavernier (Italian and local fish dishes) mm 91. In Islamorada I suggest Kaiyo's, Morada Bay (Next to Islamorada Fish Co), Lazy Days and Chef Michael's. In the Lower Keys my fav is Square Grouper on Cudjoe. Key West, all great esp Louie's.

Bahia Honda State Park has twice daily snorkeling trips to Looe Key. A nice and refreshing alternative to the daily gear burden.

Enjoy your visit, hope this was some help.

Bahia Honda State Park has twice daily snorkeling trips to Looe Key. A nice and refreshing alternative to the daily gear burden.

Enjoy your visit, hope this was some help.

Thank you for all the good recommendations.
We are going diving at looe key on Sunday, thinking about snorkeling out diving Bahia Honda but can't find any dive ops that go there, any idea why?

Thank you for all the good recommendations.
We are going diving at looe key on Sunday, thinking about snorkeling out diving Bahia Honda but can't find any dive ops that go there, any idea why?

David, BH would not be a snorkeling/diving destination. No reef, no real depth. People snorkel off the three beaches. Snorkel tours to Looe Key are operated by the concession and are very popular.

So our first dive trip was canceled by the shop due to problems with their boat. Booked a last minute trip with cpt hooks at marathon but after reading reviews I'm not so sure about their choice to bring scuba divers and snorkelers in the same trip, hope it goes well tomorrow

Let me know how Capt Hook's works out - we rented a boat from them a few years ago and wasn't particularly impressed with the boat, or their lack of any instruction to us, even after we told them we were total newbs when it came to boating - guess they figured if we screwed up the insurance would pay for it - not impressed by that.

I'm going to be down there first week of October and bringing my dive boat - I'm hoping by then my wife will be certified, but if not I'll dive while she snorkles at some various spots, and maybe we'll even get some lobstah!

After doing some 6 packs I don't I'll ever go back to anything but
Captain hooks had snorkelers, divers, and snuba people ask in the same trip.
It was hard to go in the water without running into someone.

Must of the divers we did were at an average of 18 feet so your wife snorkeling while you dive shouldn't be a problem

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom