Keys...how many days are needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
well.... i hate to be negative, but i understand that there
really isn't much in the way of shorediving in the keys.

HOWEVER, the capital of shore diving in the US is
Ft. Lauderale, less than an hour away by car. hook up with
Scuba_Jenny and she will give you more info than you
can handle on shore diving.
I'll have to do that. I get to Miami every month for work and usually take the weekend to head south for boat diving. Never thought much about going just a little north...

Hemlon:
Thanks, H2Andy. With that in mind, we may want to spend the vacation somewhere other than the Keys!

Your Profile doesn't say how experienced or trained you are, so I can't answer as well as I'd like to...

I love diving The Keys, and I have to have a week to hit the wrecks I enjoy - S.Grove, Duane, Bibb (not many will do it), Eagle, Thunderbolt, and A.Busch, which would take you miles down Hiway #1. But then, it's be a shame to get there and not see those basic sights, at least. Add another day for Key West, but I wouldn't dive there.

Shore diving is not viable there, though. Spend the money and enjoy the luxury of the boat dives.

Heck, I spend a month down there every year & it's nowhere near long enough.
Some shore diving is available, but only if you're really hardcore & can swim a mile or 2 if the tidal change gets ya. :wink:

iflyprops:
I haven't heard much about the Thunderbolt. More info and depths pleeeaase! :)
It's a great wreck dive - there are usually several very large jewfish (400 lbs or so). Here's a cut-n-paste off a site:

Marathon's quintessential wreck dive, the Thunderbolt artificial reef lies upright in 115 feet of water offering 45 feet of relief. The 188 foot vessel, once used for studying lightning, was placed off Marathon by local dive operators in 1985. Sitting upright in 85 feet of water, there is a permanent marker buoy affixed to her.

Photographers will want to investigate the huge twin propellers and descend into the engine compartment beneath large arches in the main deck. A group of large barracudas can usually be found guarding the bow.

For complete history and a drawing, see here:

http://www.fknms.nos.noaa.gov/sanctuary_resources/shipwreck_trail/tbolt.html

iflyprops:
I haven't heard much about the Thunderbolt. More info and depths pleeeaase! :)

Yeah, a fun dive. The mooring buoys are submerged, I think, so that fishermen can't tied on easily, ergo - no many fishhooks in the down line. The DM dives to tie onto the line. Current can make the experience exciting, down, up, and on the safety stop. Enjoy the challenges.

I really like Abys Dive Center out of the Marathon Holiday Inn Marina.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom