keys Dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flscubadad

Registered
Reaction score
I want to drive from Titusville FL to Keys from some Diving any suggestion on where to go and Dive with. I looking at the "Tons os Steel" at Slates. Any suggestion from you Guys? Jim

Hi Jim! I would check out Rainbow Reef. We've dove with a few different operaters in the Keys/Islamorada. We were diving in South Florida and the DM's and Captain recommended Rainbow Reef. So, we gave them a shot and I'm glad we did. We have had the best experiences with them. They are a well run operation. During busy times I would suggest booking ahead of time. They have a few boats, but I have seen them completely booked. They don't overcrowd the boat. I didn't see a dive count for you, but they do offer a guide on every trip if you want it. They are in the parking lot of the Courtyard which is really convenient if you stay there. We enjoyed them so much, we just kept going back. It feels like diving with friends.

I want to drive from Titusville FL to Keys from some Diving any suggestion on where to go and Dive with. I looking at the "Tons os Steel" at Slates. Any suggestion from you Guys? Jim

It's also hard to beat Ocean Divers for Key Largo and Conch Republic a little further down in tavernier. They both have great people, equipment and boats,

Hi Flscubadad,

Looks like you are interested in diving wrecks. OD has 3 boats now, giving them more flexibility to dive the wrecks, including many double dips. They have a nice Molasses Reef drift dive on Wed PM also.

Their bigger boats perhaps make it more likely they can get out whens seas are up but still safe. Last I heard, they will still go out with 2 divers, I've been out with them several times with only 2. You may want to call to confirm that is current practice.

Luckily, there are many good operators in Key Largo and Tavernier to choose from.

Was out with OD this past weekend. yes, they will still go with two divers. We had some wind and cold temps on Friday. Having a big boat with sheltered area was nice. On Sunday it was rougher and again a long big boat was more stable. Had 4 on Friday and 3 on Sunday. Plus fish tacos at Sharkey's right next door. :)

I don't disagree with any thing said above; but my favorite for many years has been the Conch Republic in Tavernier. Great folks, smooth operation, and very accommodating.

Horizon Divers and Quiescence are the two I have used. HD has discount rates at 3 of the local hotels which is well under what you can get with a Friends & Family discount. HD has a bigger rec boat for the reefs and a smaller AOW/Tech oriented boat for wrecks. Quiesence has 3 smaller boats (12-pack) that can pretty much take you where you want to go. Never had issues with either and both are top notch with HD being a bit more diver/customer oriented (helpful).

Most of the boats operating in the Keys are pretty well run operations. I would also say that Spencer Slate is a great character, almost like a character in the sense of what Ernest Hemmingway would think of as a character in an adventure. He can be fun to dive with, and you may end up with some great stories to tell your friends....so for this, I'd suggest going with Spencer :)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom